“Should be renamed Ramblers Delight!”
Review of Ramblers Retreat

Ramblers Retreat
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Alton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Ramblers Retreat is an award winning country tearoom nestled in the Dimmingsdale, part of the beautiful Churnet Valley in Staffordshire. Our menu is homemade using only the best ingredients, many of which are sourced from local suppliers in the Staffordshire Moorlands. And as well as a delicious meal you can also enjoy the beauty and tranquillity of Dimmingsdale, this spectacular valley by following one of the established woodland walks. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We visited here on Saturday 08/03/14 after parking the car by the start of the disused North Staffordshire Railway to walk along the old track to The Ramblers Retreat, which is very pleasant. There are a couple of car parks by the Retreat but its nicer to walk along the old railway track. We managed to get a table for two it was to busy though a couple of family tables were reserved which is nice to know that you can reserve a table. We had the roast dinner which was very nice you get a separate bowl of carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower, we asked for extra gravy which we got and was no bother at all to the waiter who I have to say was very good and knowledgeable about the area thanks for that and your advice. So after dinner we left and told the waiter that we'll be back after a walk through the woodlands which is beautiful for dessert. We ended up going off track but this wasn't a problem as we met a lovely couple from the local area. We headed back to have our dessert which was the cream tea for two at £8.20 we thought very good value as was the roast dinner earlier at £8.75. Again we had the same waiter and he was excellent nothing to much trouble for him, thank you! We left feeling rather happy about the place and look forward to returning soon, be advised to take your wellies or a good set of walking boots as there are places were you'll need them, there are boot covers just outside the resturant for those with very muddy boots/wellies. All in all very satisfied, excellent food, service, and surroundings we'll certainly be back. The sort of visit we put was families not just couples as we were, its a great place for everyone.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

My girlfriend and I visited the Ramblers Retreat for lunch, before our stay at the nearby Secret Cloud House Holiday site. It is a lovely little place, seemingly tucked out of the way of main roads and traffic noise. The building is lovely and very cosy and comfy inside. It is not a huge place and booking is advised, even for 2 of us. The food and drink were delicious and the service even better. I can highly recommend the Ramblers beer and the Sunday lunch was plentiful and tasty. My girlfriend is a vegetarian and was accidentally given a meat Lasagne. We noticed before she ate any of it and the manager personally came and was so apologetic. My girlfriend re-ordered and they offered to keep my dish warm whilst we waited, which wasn't long at all. The manager, by way of apology, gave us the whole meal and our drinks for free. We would have quite happily paid, as it's a simple mistake and none was eaten, but she was very insistant. We were both taken back by this level of service and we both recommend this place to everyone. If we are back in the area anytime, we'll be making a beeline for here :)

1  Thank Tom R
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We decided to go here today as we love to go walking. We chose the red route which was perfect for us and our six year old. Once we arrived back at the retreat we decided to have a spot of afternoon lunch. We had the Sunday roast which was just like my nan used to make proper homemade. The best thing was even though we were soaked and muddy from our walk there were summer houses where you could eat.that was a different experience. Would recommend.

1  Thank Louise236072013
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I visited the Ramblers Retreat with my family. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and visiting the beautiful woodland- Dimmingsdale! The food was lovely I especially enjoyed the homemade steak, ale and mushroom pie as well as their famous Lemon meringue pie for desert. The staff are really friendly and the conservatory provides a lovely setting with great views of the surrounding woodland. It made my day even better when I was presented with a candle in my desert, a photograph and a card from the Ramblers Retreat with a painting done by the owner on the front! The Ramblers Retreat is a lovely little restaurant with plenty of character!

1  Thank oakamoor2536
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We visited this restaurant on a Friday lunchtime. On entering the restaurant, it was a little over half full, but all the remaining tables were reserved. We had to eat in the outside area. We were told we could sit in a summer house for shelter - it was a cold February. In fact there were only three small summer houses, each seating about two (I think), that were set up for use, and these were occupied. There is nowhere else nearby and we needed to eat so there was no choice. Food was ordered from a hatch with room for one person to be served at a time. They give you an electronic pager thing that flashes when your food is ready. You then collect it from the hatch. This means there are people trying to order food and collect food from the same small hatch - somewhat chaotic. On the tables there are notices asking customers to clear their own plates after their meal. Therefore there is no service - you go to order your food, fetch it yourself and clear it yourself. While we were there I didn't see any staff outside at all. Tables were not wiped. My husband had pie and chips. The pie looked good, and he says it was. I had scampi and chips, with peas. The meal was cold (it was probably hot when it left the kitchen, but being small items cooled very quickly outside). The peas were hard and not at all sweet. The scampi and chips were ok. Just ok. Portion size for my meal was very small. My husband's was much bigger. The two meals (no drinks) cost £17. I can get a much better scampi and chips, with peas and a tasty, chunky tartare sauce, in a well known supermarket. It is served to the table and cleared away afterwards, eaten in warmth and comfort. It costs around £4.99.
The toilet facilities are totally inadequate. There is one ladies toilet outside. There is a sign on the door saying that at busy periods the disabled toilet will be open for ladies' use. It was busy and it wasn't open. I queued for the toilet, which was occupied by two small boys. The situation was not the fault of the restaurant, but more facilities would have prevented it being a problem. The boys would not come out, in spite of their mother's repeated requests. When they finally appeared, they had left the toilet unfit for use. There was one further toilet inside. Queueing for this one meant standing right where staff were coming in and out of the kitchen.
We will definitely not be visiting this place again. It might have been different if the price reflected what was on offer, which was basically a take away with some seats provided.

1  Thank JoannaH57