“It just gets better and better”
Review of Ramblers Retreat

Ramblers Retreat
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Alton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Ramblers Retreat is an award winning country tearoom nestled in the Dimmingsdale, part of the beautiful Churnet Valley in Staffordshire. Our menu is homemade using only the best ingredients, many of which are sourced from local suppliers in the Staffordshire Moorlands. And as well as a delicious meal you can also enjoy the beauty and tranquillity of Dimmingsdale, this spectacular valley by following one of the established woodland walks. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I regularly call in to the Ramblers mid horse ride and they are always really helpful and cheerful. I recently wrote in a suggestion that they perhaps get a few horse head collars and lead ropes so that more riders would be able to call in and have coffee and food, safe in the knowledge that their horses were safe outside.

The last time I called in I was on my own and left my horse tied by her bridle (not advisable) for a moment while I asked for some coffee. The chap said he would bring it out to me and not only did that but bought me out a head collar and lead rope to borrow.

They are so helpful and make you feel very welcome. Give it a try - and, any horse riders out there - go and ask for a head collar and relax and enjoy the coffee and home made cakes!

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Way out in the countryside, near Alton Towers (now there's a fairy tale castle if ever I saw one!), follow Red Road alongside the river until you round a bend and see the restaurant. There's no bar as such, and nothing on tap, but you can buy bottled ales (we had Newcastke Brown and Old Speckled Hen) and other drinks.

The food is good (although we did agree that the pie of the day could have had more meat and fewer carrots 00 but it was still very good) and the service is excellent. We had the waitress and the owner at our table several times to ask if we were happy -- I've always found that to be a sign of a kitchen that really cares. The desserts are of course all homemade and very, very good!

We went midweek -- their table is a little cheaper then -- two course for ±£10.

Recommended.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We have been here on a number of ocasions and this last visit was for my Aunt and Uncle's wedding anniversay celebration. We have the place to ourselves and were looked after so well. The food was excellent and the choice of desserts is fantastic with the lemon merignue pie standing out. The place is really different and ideal for ramblers , visitors and those looking for some good food at the ned of a sunday strowl. Very hospitable warm welcome - wpuld go back anytime!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

A truly first class experience - even on a sunny/rainy/cool day in October. The food, eating outside, was amazingly good and fantastic value. Certainly the BEST lemon meringue pie I ever seen/eaten.

And a great crew, I (at 67-years of age) was even called 'sweetheart", more than once.

Will we be back? You can bet on it.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

We use to go here a lot when our family were younger ,it is a lovely place to go for a walk (if it isn't raining) and to finish off there is a lovely restaurant to go to for some home cooked food or home baked cakes a must if your in the area