“A very pleasant weekend”

Holbrook House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wincanton
London, United Kingdom
“A very pleasant weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

A beautiful house and very accessible from London making it an ideal location for a weekend away. We felt very welcome and at home and the room was lovely (if a little dated in terms of décor). The food was fantastic and we enjoyed having drinks out on the terrace. The pool, sun loungers and café style lunch were ideal in the hot weather. Overall a great stay, thanks very much. We also travelled on a Secret Escapes deal which was incredibly good value.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
darrenmcginley, General Manager at Holbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear AMMB2014,

I am so delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I have passed on your comments to the staff here at Holbrook and do hope that you will pay us a return visit.

Darren McGinley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Ringwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a short weekend break in June 2014 and it was lovely. It is an old manor house so some of the furnishings are a bit tired around the edges but that just adds to the atmosphere. The staff were extremely friendly and provided excellent service. The restaurant was particularly good and the evening meal was exceptionally good. The menu may be a bit limited but the dishes are prepared and presented extremely well.
We both slept extremely well in the large and comfortable four-poster bed.
In the morning we had a full English breakfast before leaving. The breakfasts were individually prepared and presented to a very high standard.

We will certainly be returning.

Dear Mike R,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us earlier this summer and look forward to welcoming you back to Holbrook in the near future.

Rugby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

The hotel is in lovely grounds and we found the staff friendly and efficient, the ground floor is pleasant, old fashioned but what you would expect from a hotel such as this, there are seating areas and rooms to enjoy a pre dinner drink.
However the room was a big disappointment, we were given the family room on the top floor, why we are not sure as there was only two of us. On the positive side it was a very large room with a good double bed and two comfprtable chairs but a stained ceiling, peeling wallpaper, mould on the window frames and double glazing so steamed up you can not see out do not count as luxery in my book!
And so to dinner, the canapes were lovely and some of the flavour combinations of the meal were very good but the portions sizes were miserly. In my view 3 cubes of carrot, a baby turnip cut in half and a few shreds of potato are a poor accompanyment to a main course costing nearly £25.
The swimming pool follows the same theme, the views of the garden are pleasant and in summer it would be nice to sit outside following a swim but there is nowhere to sit around the pool and the area is in need of refurbishment.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JayT37
Dear jayT37,

Thank you for your feedback. We do appreciate that guests take the time to let us have their thoughts after staying with us and we are looking into all the points that you have raised.

Falmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here as a couple, & booked through Secret Escapes, it was a short break away to visit National Trust properties in Somerset.
The hotel was in a great position for our stay, & the staff were very helpful. The voucher included breakfast on both mornings & dinner for two on 1 evening we requested to have our meal on the second evening & there was no problem with this. The food was excellent on all occasions, the service was also excellent.
Encluded in the price was full use of the Spa area, our room had georgous thick cosy robes & slippers, which was excellent for walking from our room, it saved having to taking our clothes down.
The Spa was in need of a referb but was adequate for our short stay. The gym area was very well equipped, & although we did not use it on this occasion it was very up to date & looked like it had been fairly recently updated . We were shown around when we arrived by a very pleasant young man & he gave us full information of the facilities.
Our room was Wessex on the top floor, so attic area, but the room was huge the bed also, we even had a walk in wardrobe with ironing board etc. Wifi was free & a good signal. The room needed updating but we've been informed this is a project that is commencing in the Autumn throughout the hotel.
The guest information file is very informative about the history of the hotel. We had a great stay & a couple of 'funny' moments whilst we were there that made our experience more enjoyable as we felt the staff delpt very professionally with the incidents.
We will didefinitely recommend staying at Holbrook House, & would diffinatly return again & look forward to the referb', I just hope that Holbrook does not out prices it's self.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear tigga47,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us booked through Secret Escapes and look forward to welcoming you back to Holbrook in the near future.

Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

We booked a couple of nights here through Great Escapes and that is just what it was, a great place away from it all. I have stayed in Wincanton a few times when visiting my brother, but didn’t know this hotel existed, what a find. When we arrived we were a little early, but hoped that a room may be ready. The lady on reception was very friendly and eager to please, called the house maid who came down with the key to our room and told us that she had just finished. Great, so we dropped our stuff in the room which was large, very clean and with a very large comfy bed. We then had a drink and a sandwich on the patio in the sun. In the evening there are a couple on nice lounges to sit and have a pre-dinner drink. The restaurant if not over crowded, plenty of room between tables and the food was excellent, as was the wine! Breakfast was good too, in the same restaurant, with self-serve drinks and fruit etc, with a nice menu for the cooked food. The hotel staff were all great. It is well cared for and very clean and quiet. There are some nice grounds to walk in and a spa and pool if you wish.All in all a very nice place to spend a couple of days away. Recommended

Room Tip: Bincombe Beeches,great room.
1 Thank jim s
darrenmcginley, General Manager at Holbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear jim s,

Thank you for your comments. It is good to receive such positive feedback and I have passed it on to the staff team here at Holbrook.

Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

We booked 1 night on a dinner bed and breakfast basis for a special celebration with my sister and her husband, we were not disappointed. When we pulled up in the car we were pleasantly surprised as the hotel is charming and when we walked around the side to the gardens we were so impressed by the views and how well maintained the grounds were with a look of secret garden nooks and crannies. The rooms on the top floor were spacious and comfortable. Dinner was nice as was breakfast. Our only criticism was the service at breakfast as there appeared to be insufficient staff but that is a minor factor in our overall stay, we all said we would like to return.

Dear AshteadCandS,

I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us and managed to make the most of our lovely grounds as well. We do hope that you will make a return visit to Holbrook.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

This review is a result of numerous requests being ignored by the management at the hotel.

My friend and I went to the spa for a half day pamper experience. The cost was £90 per person and this included a back massage, mini facial, afternoon tea and use of the spa.

When we arrived at the spa we were met with a lady who gave us an itinerary of when our treatments and afternoon tea would be (we did not get a choice of times) pointed to various doors to explain what they were and left us to get on with it. This was not the welcome drink and tour we were promised in the confirmation email.

We then changed into the bathrobe and slippers provided and went for our treatments. The treatment rooms were upstairs away from the rest of the spa which surprised us, but the treatments were good and the girls were friendly.

We then made our way to the pool area. Unfortunately we discovered it is NOT a spa. It is a leisure club used by hotel guests and paying members. There is a steam room and sauna and a pool with a Jacuzzi attached. There is no seating area at all in the pool area so (as I am pregnant and didn't want to use the steam room etc) we were forced to sit in the jacuzzi for an hour until afternoon tea. Several times while sitting in the jacuzzi both my friend and I had to get out to wipe out eyes with our towels because they were stinging so badly.

After a not particularly relaxing time we got out to get dressed. The changing rooms are not at all luxurious and are very much standard leisure centre changing rooms. After wrapping our wet swim wear in our plastic slipper wrappers because there was no bags for wet clothes left on the reel, we went into the Stables for afternoon tea.

We were served by a very young guy in tracksuit bottoms and t shirt who was running in and out. When we were served our afternoon tea it came on a tower with scones, cakes and sandwiches. When we picked our sandwiches up we were disgusted to see that two of the sandwiches had mould on them. We immediately alerted the lady working on reception. She apologised and took the sandwiches away. She then brought new ones and assured us the bread was fresh - clearly it wasn't! She also said there would not be a charge for the afternoon tea.

Unsurprisingly we were not keen to eat the sandwiches and made to get our money back and leave. When we approached reception the same lady said she hadn't realised we had bought afternoon tea as part of a package and proceeded to put two passes into our hands for a 7 day pass to the spa. We politely declined as my friend lives 4 hours away and I live over and hour away, as well as the fact that we would not want to come back anyway! We asked that she refund us as agreed.

The lady then became very sullen and said she did not know the percentage to give back. I suggested the price you would pay for it individually which was £9.50 per person. She then silently lead us to the cafe and handed us back £19 out of the till stating she could not speak to the manager as she was in a treatment and could not be disturbed. We thanked her and made our way to the door. At this point I was already ready to complain to the management about our experience, not knowing it was about to get worse!

As we went to leave she called me back and asked where the passes were she tried to give us. I replied we had handed them straight back to her. She then made me wait there (open mouthed) While she checked the desk to ensure I was telling the truth! She then let us go when she found them.

My friend and I left in utter shock. She is getting married in September and due to my pregnancy I have not been able to be bridesmaid or attend her hen do. This was supposed to be a treat from me to her in lieu of those things but I could not have felt more embarrassed that I took her to that place.

When I got home I emailed Victoria Kingston who is the manager of the spa and listed all of the things that had happened and stated it was not worth the £180 I paid, highlighting my disgust at the way I was accused of taking the passes. Her reply was that she was sorry we had not enjoyed ourselves, blamed the stinging eyes on my pregnancy (my friend is not pregnant and had the same problem) and barely alluded to the behavior of the receptionist except to say she doesn't know why she would have done that. She then offered me a 2 course meal in the restaurant.

I replied and said I was not satisfied with her response and the offer of a meal after being served mouldy sandwiches was not exactly appropriate. I also explained AGAIN that my friend and I did not live nearby and would not travel all that way for food we were suspicious of! I asked for a full refund and waited for a reply. And waited and waited. After just over a week I phoned her and was told she would phone me back. I then phoned again the next day and finally received a call back. She said she had informed the hotel manager - Darren McGinley - and she thought he had been in touch. She explained that he was happy with the offer of the meal. I then asked her to send me a copy of their official complaints procedure and get Darren to phone me. She of course didn't do either of these things.

After waiting for 2 weeks I finally got a letter in the post from Darren and a voucher...For a meal in the restaurant!

I am now sending back the letter and the vouchers and instead have published the abismal service we received at the spa on Trip Advisor.

As I said in one email to Victoria I have no idea if this has been a one off incident or a systematic problem with customer service and APPALLING attitude (I fear the latter) but I wouldn't go near this 'spa' again if you paid me.

Darren McGinley please do not bother relying to this review with an inaccurate justification or vague apology, I am very much not interested.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
15 Thank Amy F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wincanton
Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Hinton Charterhouse

Been to Holbrook House Hotel? Share your experiences!