“Wish we'd had more time to enjoy this beautiful country house”

Holbrook House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wincanton
Louisville, Kentucky
“Wish we'd had more time to enjoy this beautiful country house”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Holbrook is a true country manor house with lovely grounds and spacious rooms. We arrived late and were not able to have dinner in the main dining room but the staff kindly brought us a delicious and enormous cheddar and tomato sandwich after hours. Our room and bathroom were huge with lovely views of the front garden and grass tennis courts. True, the decor could use some updating but everything was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was unbelievably generous and delicious: fresh pastries and fruit, cereals, yogurt and juices on the buffet and a full cooked breakfast of eggs, grilled tomatoes, mushrooms and sausages with toast. They deserve all their rosettes for gourmet food! The staff was most friendly and hospitable. Just wish we could have lingered longer to enjoy the spa and grounds. Great location for visiting Stourhead Gardens, Stonehenge, and Salisbury Cathedral.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
darrenmcginley, General Manager at Holbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear CullenH704,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will visit us again when next in the UK.

Darren McGinley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I rang on the Thursday in desperate need of day/night away on Saturday. From the moment I spoke to Linda, (who must have sense the desperation in my voice) I knew things would be ok. The massage recommended by Linda was an excellent choice and I had the best massage ever from Gemma and felt totally rejuvenated.
Without exception the staff were friendly and helpful
The vegetarian food in the restaurant was outstanding with a comprehensive wine menu. A really comfortable night sleep followed a lovely veggie breakfast set me up fr another morning at the spa. I will definitely return and recommend to my friends.

Room Tip: Can only comment on the room I had. Nine Springs. Lovely quiet suite with beautiful views across the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
darrenmcginley, General Manager at Holbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear DebiCole,

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your relaxing break away with us here at Holbrook and i have passed on all your kind comments to the staff.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The staff are fantastic and we were pleasantly surprised by the fantastic quality of the food. We were looking for a hotel with spa facilities rather then a spa with rooms and that's what we found. The decor is dated and tied but clean and homey, if it were redecorated we wouldn't have been able to afford it and probably have been uncomfortable. We enjoyed our stay allot and will recommend it to our friends. Thank you for a lovely stay.

Dear KerinB,

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We do hope that you will return to Holbrook in the near future.

Sherborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My wife and myself wanted a one night treat in a good hotel with spa and leisure facilities. We always had to have our five month year old son with us as we are both very reluctant to have anyone else look after him at such a young age,
We use to be members of the gymnasium and health club at Holbrook and had eaten lunch there several times but had never stayed in the hotel so it seemed a good opportunity to give it a try.
We booked a one night spring special for £195 for two people dinner bed and breakfast to include treatments and massages.
Our stay was absolutely faultless and superb in every way. From our initial enquiry to the time we left everything was perfect. We were upgraded to a suite without even asking and Charlie [ our son] was provided with a cot. The spa and treatment facilities were second to none. The evening meal was sublime and breakfast was excellent.
We cannot recommend this hotel more highly. The staff are really friendly and the whole place is truly excellent and great value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade if they are not busy. We were given one without asking.
2 Thank David G
Dear DavidG,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor. It is always so rewarding when we get such positive comments and I have passed them on to all the staff here at Holbrook.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,
leicester
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We had yet another fantastic few days at Holbrook. We are a little upset by the two previous reviews we have read. We travel 3.5 hours just to stay at Holbrook and always feel sad to leave. The staff are lovely and whilst I agree about some of the food comments, I think it's unfair to refer to it as 'a graveyard for the living' and 'depressing'. Highly recommend rooms Ninesprings and Rupert. There are some updates needed decoration wise but this just adds to the charm of the place. I disagree with a previous review about not wanting children in the restaurant, we don't have children and although we are not the child catcher from chitty chitty bang bang, we wouldn't want children in the dining room either. Although the last two times we've been its had irritating loud speaking arrogant adults dining who think its ok to have no manners even though they were quite clearly born with a silver spoon in their mouths!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear AliB,

Thank you, once again, for your wonderful comments after your stay with us here at Holbrook. I hope that you will make the long journey to come and visit again soon.

Ickenham
Reviewed June 15, 2013

What a disappointment. We were treated to a four night stay by our sons as a birthday present. The only assets this hotel has is its staff. All of them are fantastic. The house is gorgeous, the gardens and grounds are beautiful BUT as soon as you walk thru the door a big cloud of depression hangs over you. The whole house is in dire need of updating and re-decorating. The carpets are manky, the sofa's are worn and torn. The reception area is dark, the dining room ok'ish. Our bedroom was a fantastic room had it not been so dark and in dire need of decoration. Staying at Holbrook House is like staying in a graveyard for the living. The menu was very very limited. Absolutely nothing for veggie's apart from risotto (for 4 nights???) When I refused this I was offered an omelette, so I requested a potato omelette.When it arrived it was a one egg omelette, rolled over like a pancake, with a few bits of boiled potato inside. My 7 year old grandson could have done better! My husbands lamb was inedible. This person calls themselves a chef? We only ate in the restaurant 1 night. We then found plenty of local pubs with outstanding food, and half the cost. This place needs to be closed down, completely restored to justify the cost, a chef that can cook, better menu and maybe they will be there. The place is spotlessly clean, as I have said the staff are their only asset, because it needs condemning as it is a the moment. The really sad thing is, people who think they know it all are quite happy to put up with this terrible place because it is the "place to be". If they were totally honest they would agree with me

Room Tip: If you want a good room, go to another hotel
4 Thank Elaine L
Dear Elaine L

I was sorry to see your comments on the Trip Advisor site. Most of our guests enjoy the peace and quiet of Holbrook and the surrounding gardens and appreciate the unique qualities of the house.

I have taken note of your comments regarding the vegetarian food and we now have a separate vegetarian menu which will be available in the restaurant every day. It has several choices so I hope that this will make it easier for our vegetarian guests. I'm sorry that your husband did not enjoy his lamb on the night you ate in the Cedar Restaurant. It is normally a very popular choice and we have had a lot of positive feedback regarding our restaurant food. it is just a shame that you didn't mention it at the time, chef would have been very happy to cook an alternative which I am sure he would have enjoyed.

With reference to your comments on the interior of Holbrook House, as you can see from my previous replies, the hotel is undergoing a refurbishment programme and we will be re-decorating and updating some areas of the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife and I recently attended a family wedding reception at this hotel. On arrival the staff were welcoming, courteous and very attentive and the whole event was well organised. The food served was also of a good quality. It was a great day added to which the surrounding gardens looked fantastic - they add to the appeal of this hotel.
Having said all that, this hotel badly needs updating - not only from the decorating point of view but also from it's attitude to children. According to the hotel information pack children are only allowed in certain eating areas - not in the main restaurant. I thought this went out in the 70's.
As for the hotel decoration the paint work is flaking off in many places and the carpets are old/dated and have (in places) been scorched by the sun (colour faded) and are thread bare in parts. Added to this if you are unfortunate (as we were) to be placed on the top floor (3 flights of stairs - one set of stairs is very steep) you will need to be very fit to carry your cases up to your room as there isn't a lift.
As for our room, this was clean and very comfortable, with lots of storage space - on the down side the double glazed windows had "blown" and as a result were foggy and made it difficult to see out. Some of the bathroom fittings (wash basin) have not been changed in decades plus our toilet had a leak.
All in all a nice area to stay with nice surroundings. The hotel has pleasant staff and serves good food - but at £165 per per night it certainly isn't value the money, particularly as the previous night I/we stayed in a hotel nearby at a fraction of the cost.

Room Tip: Don't get put on the top floor - there isn't a lift.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank DAA22
Dear DAA22

I am so pleased you enjoyed the family wedding here at Holbrook recently.

I have noted your comments regarding children in the main restaurant and we have now changed our policy on this and welcome children in all areas of the hotel - we have updated the compendiums in the rooms accordingly.

As for the decor of the hotel we do have an ongoing refurbishment programme and are updating the bedrooms and other areas of the hotel gradually over the next few months. I'm afraid it is impossible for us to have a lift installed in such an old building but the staff are always able to help with any luggage up to the bedrooms.

I hope I have covered all the points you raised - it is always good to get feedback and hope that you are happy with my comments.

Darren McGinley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wincanton
Travelodge Wincanton
Travelodge Yeovil Podimore
Ston Easton Park Hotel
Ston Easton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ston Easton

Been to Holbrook House Hotel? Share your experiences!