“Weekend away.”
Review of Holbrook Manor

Holbrook Manor
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wincanton
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I booked this hotel as a treat for my partner on a winter spa break. As a manager of an old property myself I know how difficult it can be to keep up to the maintenance and was pleasantly surprised by the standard. The room was comfortable and quirky with a good level of cleanliness, the public areas were superb for relaxing and the restaurant was very high quality with good food and service. I would like to give a special mention to Blair who was so warm and friendly from my first contact and an asset to the hotel and also to the chef. I believe it says a lot about a kitchen when you make a special request and the staff are happy to agree without worrying about what the chef will say. So from this awkward customer a big thank you.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
darrenmcginley, General Manager at Holbrook Manor, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear sharon w,

Thank you for your comments after your recent spa break with us. We always appreciate feedback and it is lovely to hear such positive comments

We look forward to welcoming you here again soon.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Booked an afternoon tea as a treat for my wife's birthday, with our two sons (4-6). We were not disappointed, the service was excellent, the food delightful yet endulgent. We sat outside overlooking the tennis court whilst enjoying the Fayre provided and later we were even provided with some racquets to play tennis in an effort to burn off some of the calories added. A great treat that we will definitely do again.

Stayed: May 2013

Dear WeaselMcbeasel,

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us and that you were able to take advantage of the tennis court and gardens as well.

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Stayed at this hotel whilst visiting Stourhead national trust property. It is like being a guest at an old country manor with a delightful, gentile atmosphere. Plenty of room to relax in the drawing rooms, lounges and quaint gardens. Breakfast was the best hotel,breakfast by far, not only the usual fruit, yoghurt, croissants etc by a choice of cooked food made to order. I chose the eggs benedict, my sister the salmon and scrambled eggs both dishes were delicious! The staff here also very helpful, friendly and cheerful, I would definitely return to this hotel,and recommend it to all my friends.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Diane W,

Thank you for your wonderful comments after your recent stay with us. I have passed them on to all the staff here and look forward to seeing you both again.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Two of our daughters treated us, and them, to a night at Holbrook House Hotel. Though we have never contemplated staying at a high class hotel in the UK, (although we have abroad), because we thought it would be too starchy and stuffy, and we would not be able to relax, this was an experience we want to repeat. The staff were efficient, but friendly, not aloof. The dinner menu and quality was great, and the whole ambience was peaceful and relaxing. We will return when we need another relaxing break. Irene & Alan from Cornwall

Dear Irene and Alan,

Thank you so much for your kind comments. We look forward to seeing you again when you next need a relaxing break away.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We have recently returned from a 4 night stay at the Holbrook. On arrival we were greeted warmly by the lady on duty, however our booking was incorrect, our confirmation letter stated 4 nights from the 22 nd April but in fact they hadnt got us booked in till the 24th! however we were swiftly told this was not a problem and the lady quickly ran upstairs to check that our room was in fact ready for occupation. We stayed in Rupert, a large comfortable room with a 4 Poster and had everything we needed for our stay, we particularly liked the comfortable sofa positioned so we could watch TV without lounging on the bed. The bathroom contained an old fashioned type of claw footed bath and a large excellent shower, the toilet was an old fashioned water closet type and the room contained a fireplace, on enquiring we were told this was in fact as we suspected an original bathroom (not the fittings!) the only 2 things that marred this bathroom slightly for us were firstly the bathroom was down 2 steps and the light switch was at the bottom of these, we left the light over the basin on at night as l was concerned about falling, the second thing was that the bathroom had varnished floorboards which definatley needed revarnishing in front of the washbasin.
The food is excellent, both Breakfast and Dinner and we loved the little appetisers served with our pre dinner drinks in the lounge, a very comfortable room with large sofas and coffee tables, we did find that not many people seemed to enjoy a post dinner nightcap and this is perhaps one of the reasons that there is no Bar as such, just a Dispense at reception. As stated the food is excellent however for a stay of 4 nights and as a non fish eater there were only 2 meat dishes on offer and 1 Vegetarian, the Menu consisting of only 5 Main Courses which didnt change during our stay, we would have liked to see maybe a Dish of the Day or a Steak available.
The hotel is very central to explore Somerset and Dorset and we were lucky to enjoy sunny weather. All the staff we met were extremely friendly and helpfull, the service is top notch. We hope to go back again for another stay.

Room Tip: We had a DeLuxe Room

Dear Lynne47,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay with us. Your comments have been noted and we are addressing the small problems you mention.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to welcoming you to Holbrook again in the near future.

Darren Mcginley

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed with my daughters in the family room in 2012 and have posted pictures of the appalling condition of the room and en-suite; peeling wallpaper, stained carpet, hair in plughole on arrival. If that was not bad enough, I have repeatedly written to the manager complaining about this, and sending photos, and have been totally and utterly ignored. I notice that the management have responded to a recent posting on Tripadvisor so perhaps this will prompt a long overdue reaction. I look forward to a comment....

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank DesNichols
darrenmcginley, General Manager at Holbrook Manor, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear Mr Nichols,

I am sorry to have to resort to communicating with you via Trip Advisor but I have emailed you many, many times and have heard nothing back so presumed, as the messages were not re-directed back to me, that you were receiving all my emails. I apologise if that has not been the case.
The room you mention has been re-furbished since your visit and the issues you raised have all been resolved. In fact the work was part of our ongoing refurbishment programme and was done very soon after your stay.
I hope that this addresses the issues you have raised.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

A whole group of us stayed at the Holbrook for the Partridge Fly Tying Days and not one of us had a bad thing to say.

My husband and I stayed in the Barwick suite, a HUGE room with a very comfortable four poster bed and a very, very large en suite bathroom. The room was nicely decked out and full of healthy and not so healthy treats, and the bathroom was also well appointed, with fluffy dressing gowns and quality toiletries. Some of the decor was perhaps a little tired but for me, it was part of the charm of the place - made it feel like you were staying at an old friend's grand house, rather than a newly built mansion.

Downstairs, we occupied a succession of rooms for our event, each full of character and treasures. Unfortunately, we didn't get to the spa! We didn't have dinner at the hotel, but the breakfasts were spectacularly good and generous ... I can recommend the eggs Benedictine!

The staff couldn't have been more helpful and accommodating throughout the time we were there - nothing was too much trouble for them.

We're looking forward to going back next year, and maybe sometime in between!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank littlebrooktrout

Dear little brook trout,

I was so pleased to see that you enoyed your Fly Tying Day event here at Holbrook and look forward to seeing you all again next year. Hopefully you can fit in a leisure break in between and have a chance to use the spa facilities!

Darren McGinley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wincanton
Best Western Dorset Oborne the Grange Hotel
#1 of 2 in Castle Cary
The Grosvenor Arms
The Grosvenor Arms
#1 of 2 in Shaftesbury

Been to Holbrook Manor? Share your experiences!