“Lovely Break”

and 1 more site!
Holbrook House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wincanton
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We have recently returned from a 4 night stay at the Holbrook. On arrival we were greeted warmly by the lady on duty, however our booking was incorrect, our confirmation letter stated 4 nights from the 22 nd April but in fact they hadnt got us booked in till the 24th! however we were swiftly told this was not a problem and the lady quickly ran upstairs to check that our room was in fact ready for occupation. We stayed in Rupert, a large comfortable room with a 4 Poster and had everything we needed for our stay, we particularly liked the comfortable sofa positioned so we could watch TV without lounging on the bed. The bathroom contained an old fashioned type of claw footed bath and a large excellent shower, the toilet was an old fashioned water closet type and the room contained a fireplace, on enquiring we were told this was in fact as we suspected an original bathroom (not the fittings!) the only 2 things that marred this bathroom slightly for us were firstly the bathroom was down 2 steps and the light switch was at the bottom of these, we left the light over the basin on at night as l was concerned about falling, the second thing was that the bathroom had varnished floorboards which definatley needed revarnishing in front of the washbasin.
The food is excellent, both Breakfast and Dinner and we loved the little appetisers served with our pre dinner drinks in the lounge, a very comfortable room with large sofas and coffee tables, we did find that not many people seemed to enjoy a post dinner nightcap and this is perhaps one of the reasons that there is no Bar as such, just a Dispense at reception. As stated the food is excellent however for a stay of 4 nights and as a non fish eater there were only 2 meat dishes on offer and 1 Vegetarian, the Menu consisting of only 5 Main Courses which didnt change during our stay, we would have liked to see maybe a Dish of the Day or a Steak available.
The hotel is very central to explore Somerset and Dorset and we were lucky to enjoy sunny weather. All the staff we met were extremely friendly and helpfull, the service is top notch. We hope to go back again for another stay.

Room Tip: We had a DeLuxe Room
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
darrenmcginley, General Manager at Holbrook House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Lynne47,

Thank you for your feedback after your recent stay with us. Your comments have been noted and we are addressing the small problems you mention.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to welcoming you to Holbrook again in the near future.

Darren Mcginley

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed with my daughters in the family room in 2012 and have posted pictures of the appalling condition of the room and en-suite; peeling wallpaper, stained carpet, hair in plughole on arrival. If that was not bad enough, I have repeatedly written to the manager complaining about this, and sending photos, and have been totally and utterly ignored. I notice that the management have responded to a recent posting on Tripadvisor so perhaps this will prompt a long overdue reaction. I look forward to a comment....

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank DesNichols
darrenmcginley, General Manager at Holbrook House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Dear Mr Nichols,

I am sorry to have to resort to communicating with you via Trip Advisor but I have emailed you many, many times and have heard nothing back so presumed, as the messages were not re-directed back to me, that you were receiving all my emails. I apologise if that has not been the case.
The room you mention has been re-furbished since your visit and the issues you raised have all been resolved. In fact the work was part of our ongoing refurbishment programme and was done very soon after your stay.
I hope that this addresses the issues you have raised.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

A whole group of us stayed at the Holbrook for the Partridge Fly Tying Days and not one of us had a bad thing to say.

My husband and I stayed in the Barwick suite, a HUGE room with a very comfortable four poster bed and a very, very large en suite bathroom. The room was nicely decked out and full of healthy and not so healthy treats, and the bathroom was also well appointed, with fluffy dressing gowns and quality toiletries. Some of the decor was perhaps a little tired but for me, it was part of the charm of the place - made it feel like you were staying at an old friend's grand house, rather than a newly built mansion.

Downstairs, we occupied a succession of rooms for our event, each full of character and treasures. Unfortunately, we didn't get to the spa! We didn't have dinner at the hotel, but the breakfasts were spectacularly good and generous ... I can recommend the eggs Benedictine!

The staff couldn't have been more helpful and accommodating throughout the time we were there - nothing was too much trouble for them.

We're looking forward to going back next year, and maybe sometime in between!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank littlebrooktrout

Dear little brook trout,

I was so pleased to see that you enoyed your Fly Tying Day event here at Holbrook and look forward to seeing you all again next year. Hopefully you can fit in a leisure break in between and have a chance to use the spa facilities!

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We arrived at the hotel and received the warmest of welcomes from a cheerful person behind the desk. We were personally shown to our room, which was spotlessly clean albeit a little dated in decor terms and felt a bit 'long in the tooth'. However, Holbrook House is a beautiful property with bags of character. The lounge and dining room area were well presented and welcoming. Every member of staff we had contact with with was courteous and attentive, and the food for our evening meal and breakfast were on both counts delicious. The spa was functional and in need of some renovation, but this is a minor criticism as this didn't spoil the experience at all and we both very much enjoyed our treatments. We thought our stay was very good value for money, with excellent food and would happily return to the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Marian c

Thank you for your comments posted on the site. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay here with us and hope to be able to welcome you to Holbrook again in the near future.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

It was lovely to be able to get away for a few hours with some friends for a spa day, and the price was reasonable, however no better than many of the other places doing deals. On arrival we had a glass of bubbly which we waited 20 minutes for and eventually got from the rather rude waiter. Facilities included a cold swimming pool, a jacuzzi which was OK and a steam room and sauna - both OK. Changing rooms could do with modernising but were also OK. Spa staff were friendly. We ordered lunch in the morning for 1pm and got it at 1:25pm, however as it was cold panini's I am guessing they were cooked at 1pm, I never got the glass of wine I ordered even the waiter took the order for 'pink' wine. Spa treatment was good if a little shorter than advertised (mine should have been 85 minutes but was in fact only 75). Would I go again? No. What would I change? the waiter and the food service/cook immediately and would get around to modernising the rest.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear RitaP4412
Thank you for your comments. I have passed them on to my staff in the spa and we have resolved a lot of the points you mention.
We would obviously like to exceed our guests' expections and we are constantly working to improve the facilities both in the health club and in the hotel with the aim of getting it right every time.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have not stayed in the hotel but joined the health club recently and while the staff are pleasant and there is a decent range of equipment in the gym, the whole place is dirty, dusty and sticky but, despite calling last Friday to mention it, the same grime I pointed out during my 'induction', a week ago, was still there today. The sauna and steam room are very run down and, frankly, filthy which isn't encouraging considering people go there to sweat! Lord knows what's breeding and many refuse to use them. The female showers/changing rooms, apparently recently refurbished, [DIY?] are horrible; the floors are either lifting or sinking/flooded, falling paint clogs the drains and twice already the showers/radiators have been cold. I can't understand why they haven't sued the contractor.The pool has holes in the ceiling, which doesn't bother me too much but it just adds to the general air of seediness and it didn't help when I got a tampon string caught in my fingers during aquafit or briefly! shared the jacuzzi with someone who had just walked out of the sauna! I wanted/expected to feel lush with all this but I actually can't enjoy the facilities I most wanted because the lack of hygiene offends me. With over 1000 members ie. loads of dosh coming in and minimal staff - a receptionist and a harassed jack of all trades towel folder/trainer/manager is all I've seen so far, it is time for a serious upgrade. Such a shame. Wish they'd give me the job to turn it into the paradise it could so easily be with just a few changes.

Room Tip: i have only used the health club
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank ann c
darrenmcginley, General Manager at Holbrook House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear ann c

Thank you for your comments and feedback. I was a little taken aback by your description of the club and also to find your comments here on Trip Advisor after only speaking with you early the same day.

The club is cleaned thoroughly everyday and is deep cleaned once a week. We currently have a refurbishment plan in progress, hence the painting that is being done, new carpets being fitted and new furniture being added.

I can only apologise that your expectations were not surpassed and I, and all the staff, will do our best to improve the standards throughout the club.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The hotel was easy to find although the front door was more difficult to locate even though we parked right beside it! The hotel had a large country house feel to it, with log fires in the reception area, piano, comfy sofas etc. As we sipped our champagne and waited to be shown into dinner, we almost felt like we were in an Agatha Christie novel. The food was excellent and the staff couldn't have been more helpful or friendly. The room was large and spacious with a huge double bed (two large singles put together), there were apples, biscuits, bottled water and a basket of sweets. The bathroom was spacious and very clean. We pointed out to reception that the shaver socket didn't work, but don't know if it was sorted like she said it would be. It took a long time to get hot water on the second day, but it came through eventually. Wifi connection was iffy but again, reception rebooted and we didn't have too much trouble getting online. The spa was friendly and relaxing although they had us booked in to the wrong time, but we didn't mind wandering off and back later. All in all, a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear SallyB,

Thank you for your feedback after your Valentine's break last month. I am so pleased that,despite the few negative points you mention, you had an enjoyable and relaxing stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the near future.

Darren McGinley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wincanton
Travelodge Wincanton
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel
Ston Easton Park Hotel
Ston Easton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ston Easton

Been to Holbrook House Hotel? Share your experiences!