“romantic break”

and 1 more site!
Holbrook House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wincanton
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Me and my partner boooked a night away to relax, as soon as we arrived we felt relaxed and comfortable. The staff was very friendly , the room was amazing with a four poster bed and had a good oldfashioned feel to it, the food was outstanding, we enjoyed it so much we decided to stay another night and we felt they gave us a good deal. Would recomend this hotel and will return.

Room Tip: First floor has rooms easy to get to spa without going outside
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
darrenmcginley, General Manager at Holbrook House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear Gina P,

I am so glad that you both enjoyed your romantic break with us recently. Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on the Trip Advisor site - I will pass them on to the staff and hope to see you both again soon.

There are newer reviews for Holbrook House Hotel

Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I were visiting friends in the area and decided to stay for 1 night at Holbrook House. The Hotel is a lovely old building as other reviews have mentioned and the grounds are wonderful.
We arrived early and ordered lunch which was lovely we then booked a 'winter warmer' / Winter Spa Day in the Spa which consisted of a back neck and shoulder message with a glass of bubbly.
The Spa is very small and is part of a public gym, there is no relaxation area only in the bar. My husband enjoyed his message but mine was a very poor effort of a message, the girl just rubbed oil into my back and that was the height of it I'm afraid! I was very disappointed but nevertheless for £59 for 2 people it was not alot of money. We had to ask where to go etc the person at the Spa desk did not make any effort to show us around or explain where anything was.
We enjoyed a fab dinner in the evening the hotel staff are lovely and very polite and nothing is too much trouble. The breakfast was delicious in the morning, served to order, just help yourself to lovely fresh fruit salad, cereal etc.
I would definately stay here again as the meals were fab, well done to the chef he/she cooks and presents food that you would find hard to find in michelin star restaurant.
I would recommend a stay here but I wouldn't recommend the Spa treatments on my experience.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
darrenmcginley, Owner at Holbrook House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear SurreyAnn

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor. We do value your feedback and will make sure that we action the points that you mentioned regarding our spa facilities. I am so pleased that your overall experience was a good one and look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Holbrook House is the epitome of Country Charm and is a must for anyone who is staying in the area. The staff are attentive and the food is outstanding. We stayed for one night on a January deal and got extremely good value for money. It's such a treat too to have traditional service, by the roaring log fire, looking out over a vast mature estate. Some will write that the rooms need updating but I feel one has to remember the style of this hotel and that it is in a completely different league to the generic inner-city establishments. I could not fault the cleanliness nor comfort.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor tend to be junior suites and so a little more pricey but huge rooms and lar...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear F R

It was lovely to hear that you enjoyed the "country charm" of Holbrook and hope that we can welcome you here again in the near future.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Just spent a wonderful weekend at this hotel. What a fabulous time we had. The building is impressive - so much character and so authentic. There are open fires in the public areas and comfortable couches to sit and enjoy your drinks or read the papers. Even the squeaky floorboards are just so in keeping with this beautiful old mansion house. Our room was huge with four poster bed and a large bathroom (the bridal suite, although not requested) complete with rolltop cast iron victorian bath and walk in shower. The health spa facilities - swimming pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi were wonderful and accessed from the hotel. We both enjoyed a back, shoulder and neck massage - bliss. Everyone of the staff was so polite, helpful and friendly. The grounds are breathtakingly beautiful - would love to see in the summer. The food was by far the best food I have ever eaten - anywhere - beautifully presented, perfectly cooked and a wonderful fusion of flavours. We met the chef - a young man, trained at The Dorchester and passionate about the food he produces. If you want peace and quiet in a wonderful environment with food that is out of this world, then visit this hotel, you will not be disappointed. We will definitely be returning.......

1  Thank Sue H

Dear SueH,

Thank you for posting your kind comments on Trip Advisor after your recent stay with us. It is always good to receive such positive feedback and to know that you enjoyed your visit. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I visited Holbrook House with friends for my 21st birthday. The whole evening was beyond perfect, the service was great and the food was out of this world!
I started with the cauliflower and nutmeg mousse, the texture was amazing and twinned with the parmasan crisp it was a tantalizing experience for my tastebuds.
My main course of duck with a pomme puree was incredible, the duck was succulent and perfectly pink, the skin was crisp and the flavour was just insane, I can honestly say I have never tasted duck like it and I WILL be returning especially for this!
The icing on the cake was my desert I had the Delice au Cassis, a wonderful selection of sweet treats including mini toffee apples, cassis parfait, apple sorbet and honeycombe pieces, my favourite I have to say was the honeycombe it was perfect with a delightful crunch.
My plate was personalised with a happy birthday message and sparkling candles!
I can honestly say this meal was by far the BEST birthday meal I have ever had! You would think from such amazing food and service that a meal here could easily bankrupt you, however I can promise you this you will be VERY surprised, the prices are very fair and competitive, I live nearly an hour away from Holbrook House the journey is worth it every time!
I cannot wait to return to have another amazing experience, I know I will not be let down!

• Stayed: January 2013

Dear KAEmery,
Thank you for your wonderful comments. I am so glad that you had such an enjoyable 21st birthday here and look forward to welcoming you to Holbrook again soon.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We visited this beautiful hotel a few weeks ago, the food was simply stunning as was the surroundings, I will definitely be re visiting very soon to try out more of their delicious food on there menu, and of course not forgetting there dessert selection.
The staff were very polite and confident in what they were doing.

• Stayed: January 2013
darrenmcginley, General Manager at Holbrook House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Mfranc88
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I have passed them on to the staff here at Holbrook and hope that you will visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I heard there was a new Chef and went and had a outstanding meal, the food was by far the best i have ever had, the flavours complimented each other perfectly and just melted in your mouth. It was just amazing, my fiancé and i were in silence when we ate and that's saying something as we never stop talking. They have a great feel to the place its relaxed warm and friendly and i would highly recomend it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
darrenmcginley, General Manager at Holbrook House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Rowena V,

Thank you for your review after your recent dinner here at Holbrook Our new team of chefs are receiving fantastic feedback and I have passed on all the comments to them.

We hope to be able to welcome you to Holbrook again soon.

Darren McGinley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wincanton
Travelodge Wincanton
The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa
Ston Easton Park Hotel
Ston Easton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ston Easton

Been to Holbrook House Hotel? Share your experiences!