“Perfect stop-over - Clean, quiet, comfortable with good staff and food”
Review of Hunters Lodge Inn

Hunters Lodge Inn
Ranked #1 of 7 Wincanton B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 10, 2010

Stayed as a stopover en-route to Commando Challenge Exeter. Chose a real Inn over TravelLodge/PremierInn as we wanted a 'treat' rather than a functional stopover.
This place was perfect, large, modern & clean bedroom with very comfy memory foam mattress, lovely clean modern bathroom (no bath) but fantasic shower. The rooms are in a new-built block adjacent to the old Inn - They have been built and finished to a very good quality and it is clear that the owners are very keen to concentrate on maintaining high standards.
The bar & restaurant are very nice indeed with a country feel, excellent ale, a carvery or a la carte - absolutely no chance of going hungry or thirsty in this place!
Servcie was excellent in the evening but I would slightly criticise the morning staff, slightly rushed non-personal - Should have had more/experienced waiting staff.
For my wife and it was excellent and far more enjoyable than a functional stopover of a Travellodge etc.... and at the £50 b&b we paid for the room, very good value indeed.
Very definitely on our list of places to stay and a perfect stopover for a friday evening journey to the west country. Very close to the A303 main-road so no big detour required but do watch the A303 exit if west-bound - it's a very sudden sharp-left on the exit slip... certainly woke my wife up!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hunters Lodge Inn

Reviewed October 7, 2010

We stayed here for one night as a base for a 2 day visit to Longleat. The hotel was easy to find as it is located 1 minute from the A303. On arrival we were greeted by a friendly and helpful member of staff who checked us in to the Dorset Suite, a very spacious clean family room with a kingsize bed and 2 singles and plenty of room for the cot that we had requested for our little girl. The bathroom was also very clean with twin basins, a bath and power shower. We decided to eat in the attached pub that night and were highly impressed with the food and service, and this was also the same for breakfast the following morning. We did have a slight problem on checking out when it was not sure whether the payment had been taken over the phone but this was resolved in a quick and professional way. All in all it was a fabulous stay.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We stayed at The Hunters Lodge on Saturday night and found our room clean, warm and comfortable. However we would not choose to stay there again. Our welcome was a little unfriendly with no knowledge of our request to check in early to change for the wedding we were to be attending, even though I had called a day before to ensure this request had been registered. The location was suitable for our needs however we were aware of the close proximity of the main road from our room. Our booking included breakfast, we opted for the Full English which was extremely greasy and unappealing. The Hunters Lodge lacked character and charm and we found the staff a little stand offish. We won't be staying again, it provided what we need but nothing more.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2010

Firstly, I tried to book accomodation on line however for some reason it would not work for me, so I contact the Inn and explained my situation. They agreed to book the accomodaiton for me over the telephone at the same price, which to me was excellent service.
On arrival booking in was quick and then headed off to the somerset suite, this was a lovely large room with everything that we needed. The view was lovely and our young son was impressed that he could see goats from the window. We stayed for food in the evening which was excellent value for money and great portion size.
Breakfast was also excellent value, however if I was to be slightly picky I would have like to have been served with a pot of tea instead of having to make one with a tea bag myself!.
The beds are memory foam so if you are not used to them they do seem quite hard, there was noise of the traffic however with the windows shut you could not hear it.
We stayed for two nights and would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2010

I took my husband there for his 30th birthday and it was so idealic. I have never had such a brilliant nights sleep. We stayed in the four poster room and it was out of this world!! The food was great, the staff were friendly and the atmosphere was excellant, I would recommend it to everyone!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2010

Rooms are large, well furnished and equipped, very clean and comfortable. The staff are very friendly with the restaurant waitresses being young and giggly rather than efficient but that can or cannot be a plus when tired after along journey.
The food is plentiful and reasonably priced, but definitely of the 'Pub' type rather than gourmet. Ideal for families as there is a large playground and Alpacas round the back.
Very conveniently positioned just of the A303, hence a bit of traffic noise can be heard at busy times of day.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2010

rooms are in a separate block at the side of the pub, I was allocated room 2 on the ground floor which for a solo woman traveller was not the best but the room iteself was ok. Just a shower in the bathroom, but it was quite big and very clean if a bit of a step back to the 80s in the decor. The bed was very comfortable and I had a great couple of night's sleep which was just as well because trying to work the TV was exhausting.
The two evenings meals I had in the pub were very nice, nothing fancy but they were delicious. Breakfast was ok on both occasions, tea bags are left in a bowl on the buffet table with a jug of hot water left on top of the coffee perculator, odd but great for a someone who like me could drink their own body weight in tea.
The only disappointment was checking out when I was charged £65 a night, not the £45 for single occupancy of a double room,or even the £60 advertised for a double room when I queried it I was told that if only I had not booked so far in advance I would have got it for less!!!!!!!!!!
ps there is very little phone reception, at least not on vodafone

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank kaztg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wincanton
Travelodge Wincanton
#1 of 2 in Ilchester
The White Lion
The White Lion
#1 of 2 in Bourton

Been to Hunters Lodge Inn? Share your experiences!