“A Secret worth finding”
Review of Bakelite Museum

Bakelite Museum
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Williton
More attraction details
Owner description: A fabulous collection of vintage plastics and everyday objects from the Bakelite era, housed in a beautiful 18thC watermill in the Somerset countryside.
Worcester, United Kingdom
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“A Secret worth finding”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

When we got to the museum we nearly turned around as it looked so small, but so glad we didn't. Such a hidden treasure and well worth a visit.
A MUST is a cream tea at the end, we've never tasted one like it, fantastic! Best cream tea ever. If you don't want to go to the museum, go for this, you won't be disapointed!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank LouL18

Somerset
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“It's remarkable what's on your doorstep...”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I live about 15 miles from the Bakelite Museum, but only on a dull Sunday did I look for somewhere to visit and discover it here on Trip Advisor.

A mixture of quaint, bizarre and enlightening. Wonderfully eccentric and beautifully English. Tomorrow at work I will be asked "What did you do over the weekend?" and I shall say that I visited the world's largest Bakelite museum. That alone is worth the fiver, because my young colleagues will not have a clue what I'm on about.

The funny thing for me is that at 49 years old I didn't get the "We had one of those." memory. I think I'm a little too young, whereas I've no doubt that someone in their 60s would recognise all sorts. I did find some of the old magazines truly fascinating though, and the fact that you can pick up things and explore to your heart's content is a huge plus.

Negatives? Well it is a little cramped and dark in places. This is a deliberate choice and a perfectly reasonable one, however some people will find getting upstairs difficult. I'd also say it wasn't for youngsters as they just won't "get it".

I didn't try the tea rooms, but they looked suitably in keeping with the place and I've no doubt that the tea would have been excellent.

I've given this five stars, but please do consider the accessibility/age thing before visiting as this isn't a place for everyone.

2 Thank Wellingtonian2
Bath, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Brilliant!”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Do not be put off by thinking this will be dull - it's fascinating! Lots of everyday items we'd forgotten about plus lots we didn't know existed. Friendly, enthusiastic owner who is there to chat to and answer questions but who doesn't intrude on your visit. Great little tea room. Highly recommended.

1 Thank dbp18
stamford, uk
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Don't miss this!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Fabulous and v large collection of bakelite objects from the past. From caravans to hairdryers, radios to tea pots. Little cafe, shop and loos.Don't be put off by the £5 entry fee (less for kids), this is well worth a visit and you won't see anything like it anywhere else! Mind blowing!

1 Thank catface444
London
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“We had one of those!”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Others may be filled with as much joyous anticipation at the prospect of visiting the Bakelite Museum as I was at first suggestion. I caustically remarked that it was probably located next door to the "Watching Paint Dry" Museum. Thankfully, curiosity got the better of me and I discovered a rare treat: a unique Aladdin's Cave of instantly recognisable memorabilia from a small period of our culture that blends technology and art.

Bakelite was, simply, the precursor of plastic. Malleable and mouldable until it set, it has properties of hardness and durability, and is waterproof and a good electrical and heat insulator. No wonder that so many familiar household objects were sculpted from it in its heyday of 1930s to 1960s! If you are over 40, you cannot walk around this museum without exclaiming "We had one of those" every few minutes! If you are under 40, don't miss this treasure trove of what your parents and grandparents owned and used every day.

Starting out as an exploratory art installation, the collection of thousands of objects has been assembled by Patrick Cook, with a keen eye on the artistic. With a passing resemblance to Dr Roy Strong, the notable art curator and historian, Mr Cook has created a strange and pleasing assemblage of the everyday and the bizarre. An influence of pop art is noticeable in the incongruity of serried objects arranged in the sea of eclectic Bakelite memorabilia, which is unsurprising given that Mr Cook was at Goldsmiths College and tutored by Peter Blake.

Don't miss this unique museum of an important, but oft overlooked, period of our culture.

Visited May 2013