Open today: 10:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Amazing collection of bakelite and memorabilia.

Reviewed October 2, 2018
Jane G
via mobile
Warm welcome despite it being packed away.

Reviewed September 21, 2018
Excursion754975
via mobile

All reviews old mill scones tea room fascinating collection everyday objects delicious cream tea treasure trove parents and grandparents quirky things certain age older generation great trip down memory lane friendly welcome household objects on display farm implements step back in time
Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

Visited when this amazing little private museum was about to close down and find a new home. Rather ramshackle so I hope they find a new home for this fabulous collection of blasts from the past. Saw clocks, fires, records, hairdryer just like mum had, dolls, toys and even mini Babycham deers. All from a time when plastic was not a bad thing. Look out for their new home.

Reviewed September 21, 2018 via mobile

We were very lucky to have met Patrick and his fellow helpers who were packing up and cataloguing the huge collection until it finds a new venue in 2019. Despite this they had time to talk and we were able to walk around the still to be packed areas and take the in the incredible aray of Bakelite and designs. I was also able to come away with something I’d purchased from the still unboxed items. Patrick I hope you get sorted in to a more central premises that enable more people to find you and revel in what must be one of the most incredible collections of this type!! We will find you in 2019!

Reviewed September 19, 2018

I was delighted to visit this wonderful museum with my husband Terry who joined Bakelite Xylonite employment in the 1970s, and recognised some of the signatories on the old company letters that are on display.

It brought back fond memories of my grandmother who used many of the items, and some of the items we had when I lived with my parents.

We were pleased to meet the friendly Patrick Cook the curator, and his helper Imogen, and we hope that all goes well regarding the move of the collection to its new home.

Best Wishes and Many Thanks.

Reviewed August 5, 2018 via mobile

One man’s collection (obsession?) with EVERYTHING Bakelite displayed in an interesting old mill.

I ALWAYS take new visitors to see this unique collection.

1  Thank Robin W
Reviewed August 1, 2018

This is a SUPERB museum with an adjacent, excellent, cosy tea room serving tasty cakes and cream teas. Such refreshment may also be had at the tables in the garden which includes a shady corner.

There are an incredible number of interesting and fascinating artefacts (including a Bakelite coffin from which the remnant of a hand “drapes”), plus a couple of items which the late Kenny Everett might describe as “all in the best possible taste”, and a copy of Tit-bits, all collected by the friendly and chatty, Patrick Cook.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our visit, but, you may need a member of the “older generation” to fully appreciate some of the content (e.g. the magnifying “glass” which could be attached to a 9” TV set to enlarge the picture).

There are so many excellent photos already shown here, that I will only add two more, including one of the curator, Patrick Cook.

Many thanks for your efforts Patrick and with Best Wishes to you and for the future of your wonderful museum. Angela & Terry

1  Thank UKTerry
Reviewed July 30, 2018 via mobile

I loved this museum. It’s my kind of place; an eclectic mix of stuff you never knew needed a museum.
We had no plans to go but passed the brown sign on the main road in Williton on the way from the M5 to Minehead. It’s 3 minutes off the main road, cost £14 to get in for a family ticket and we weren’t there more than an hour. You should pop in and see it.
There’s a sign on the door asking people to support this “struggling” museum and I was happy to pay my money and buy tea and cake. There’s a huge mix of stuff made from Bakelite and other early plastics, once hugely fashionable but now derided and forgotten. In this world where we have too much plastic, it’s bizarre to think that 80 years ago plastics were the new wonder material and the range of everyday objects that were made from it was astounding.
My wife and I are of an age where we spent the visit saying “parents / aunts / grandparents had one of those” but it was all a bit meaningless to the kids. And I guess that’s why it’s struggling - there are bigger, noisier, flashier, more kid friendly things to do. However it provoked some interesting debates about the values of things in a disposable society and design in general. Hats off to the owner/curator/collector who was charmingly British about the achievement of putting all this together whilst serving our tea in his own garden.
It’ll be gone one day and we won’t miss it because we were too busy to recognise its value: do do go and support him!!
Tea and cake available,loos and free parking. It’s in an old mill with lots of steep stairs which will be an issue if you have mobility issues.

1  Thank neddyb1
Reviewed July 19, 2018

Absolutely fascinating - choc a block with all kinds of memorabilia. Due to close in a few weeks at they are moving to Weston Super Mare.

Patrick C, Owner at Bakelite Museum, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2018

Thanks, Suzy! Yes, the museum will be relocating, so we want to encourage people to come by the end of August to catch it in its current beautiful setting.

Reviewed July 8, 2018

Welcomed by Patrick with a joke (I won't spoil it!). Lovely situation but very quirky barn and tea room. Vast collection of Bakelite items and those with Bakelite parts eg handles on kettles. Patrick is very interesting and an excellent host. A must if you are in North Somerset - 'We had one of those' and 'I remember that!'

Reviewed July 2, 2018

After walking from the train station in Williton, through the village, and down a quiet country lane, it is hidden away a bit.
We arrived, and was greeted by the owner, paid our admission fee (£5) and went in to look, WOW! There is a lot of artefacts and exhibits in this myriad of a museum. People expecting a modern, bright, glass covered exhibits, would be disappointed, but this place is just fascinating. There are hundreds, if not thousands of exhibits to admire and a good hour or two was spent looking round. The caravan outside, is brilliant! I would suggest visiting on a dry day though. it is housed in an old mill, so the less mobile visitor would find it tough. I liked it a lot. Well worth a walk from the train station!

Reviewed June 28, 2018

This museum is a true gem and is wonderfully eccentric. People going expecting a modern museum will be disappointed but those looking for something quirky and individual in these homoginised times are in for a treat.