Combeshead Farm B&B
Dunkery Beacon Hotel(Wootton Courtenay)
$132
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
Marston Lodge Hotel(Minehead)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewson arrivalfour nightsan evening mealhomemade preserveswood burnercatherinefarmbedsdeerteaexmoorwoodburner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 20, 2014

We came to this B&B because we wanted somewhere where we could stay and bring our horses too . There was plenty of room to park the trailor and the horses had their own field which was just right for them as the sheep had grazed in there previously so the grass was perfect . We could see them from the house but there was no need to worry about them as they were in a secure field and very happy . A short distance from the field was the yard with stables and a tack room . It was all very convenient . We rode out from the house two of our three days . The first to Dunkery Beacon with stunning scenery , wild flowers , larks and plenty of streams for the horses to drink from ( the weather was fabulous )not a cloud in the sky for our whole visit , the second was up to the Devils punchbowl which Catherine kindly directed us to . Again stunning scenery with lots of wild orchids . We stopped at Winsford tea rooms for lunch where we were able to tie the horses up and enjoy the local fare .
Now that's just the horses ! We had a really pleasant stay too . It was Sues ' birthday and we arrived in time for tea and the most delicious birthday cake made by Catherine's sister . We felt very welcome and immediately at home in a family atmosphere . Their adorable grandson Charlie ( just 2 and a half ) gave us a running commentary on all the different kinds of tractors from a John Deere to a Massey Ferguson ! The rooms were very comfortable and clean . The breakfasts the best ever and the dinners out of this world ! The only mistake we made was going out to a local pub one night . It was a long drive and food no where as good as the home reared lamb and the salmon dishes we enjoyed . Delicious puddings too . I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this B&B to anyone . I couldn't fault it in anyway . A real bonus for me was Farmer Fred ( Catherine's delightful husband ) helping me with the trailor . I'm hopeless at reversing and hitching up and he helped me every time despite being really busy with all the hay making that was going on whilst the weather was fine . A big thank you to you both . lucinda and Sue Xx

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lucinda F
Catherine C, Owner at Combeshead Farm B&B, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

It was really good to have you all stay with us, horses included!. I hope they enjoyed themselves as well. You had some lovely rides, and fantastic weather which always helps. I feel like I've done my job properly when I get comments like that, thank you. I will tell Fred you appreciated his contribution too!

Reviewed June 12, 2014

Thankyou so much for another lovely weekend , the breakfasts are to die for plenty of it and great choice. Lovely and clean bedrooms. We cannot fault this B & B there is nothing we would change, and cant wait to return next year for our third time. Ian, Jo, maisy and ben

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family

It was great to see you all again. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay here. It is always nice when people come back, and we look forward to seeing you again next year! The tame lambs have now gone out into the front paddock, and Jess is keeping her eye on them!.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

This B&B could not have been more perfect for our family. The location is absolutely charming, with a real sense of peace and tranquility. Catherine was so friendly and helpful during our stay, and makes a delicious English breakfast! The fact that the farm had reliable WiFi was an unexpected bonus! Our daughters fell in love with Jess and Kiwi, the resident dogs, and had the best time roaming around the farm grounds, among the horses, sheep and chickens. In a weekend filled with rock-climbing and kayaking, our kids told us that their favorite part was hanging out on the farm. I would not hesitate to recommend this B&B to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Catherine C, Owner at Combeshead Farm B&B, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

I am so pleased you all enjoyed your stay with us. To have comments like that makes it all worth while. Thank you so much, and good luck with the move back home.
Jess and Kiwi are having a well earned rest!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We were tremendously lucky to stumble across Catherine and Fred's B&B. The building is beautiful, as are the views from the clean, comfortable rooms. The location is perfect for getting around the moors, and being on a working farm adds real depth and interest to your stay. The cooked breakfast was delicious and it was very handy having decent wi-fi too. But best of all were the hosts themselves - who were extremely thoughtful and engaging, going out of their way to ensure we had a great trip and sharing their local knowledge with us! So just about perfect really :-) Alex and Charlotte

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Catherine C, Owner at Combeshead Farm B&B, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

It was great to meet you both. We enjoyed our discussions, and hope you found some of the info helpful. I really do appreciate your very kind review. Good luck with your future plans, hope all goes well!

Reviewed May 15, 2014

Whilst working at The Golden Horseshoe Endurance Ride, Fred and Catherine’s farm was my home from home for five days. I cannot recommend this B&B highly enough. Catherine is a wonderful cook. Delicious evening meals were served in a separate dining room (with other guests) or with the family (when I was there on my own) which speaks volumes about their hospitality. She made me a packed lunch every day and filled my flask with coffee. Breakfasts too were of extremely generous proportions and don’t be surprised to get sliced & diced melon... what luxury! Coffee at breakfast is properly made with a percolator. Sleeping quarters are utterly clean, beds are good, bed linen is nice and comfy, bathrooms (I used two, one had an excellent shower in bath and t’other a perfectly adequate shower in bath) are spotless. Catherine has a great eye for detail, tip of the towels turned over, loo roll ends folded, a fresh flower on the breakfast table… whereas this may not mean much to some, they are the signature of somebody who really cares about her profession.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank HVDB2014
Catherine C, Owner at Combeshead Farm B&B, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2014

It was great to meet you, and we enjoyed talking to you. I think we covered a wide range of topics! What a shame the weather couldn't have been like this weekend for the GHS.
I'm glad you noticed and appreciated the things I do to try and make your stay as welcoming and comfortable as possible. Thank you for your wonderful review. See you next year!