“Would be better to stick to being a cafe and shop with just farm animals”
Review of Doniford Farm - CLOSED

Doniford Farm
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I really wanted to like this place but I came away feeling incredibly uneasy about the exotic animals and birds - an eagle owl tucked away in the corner of a dingy barn with no greenery, blue and gold macaws in another dark barn with very little natural light etc etc. It didn't sit well. The gift shop and cafe have the potential to do great things. The food menu was good, although I was surprised a bacon roll came with streaky and not back bacon, while the cakes in the display unit were not covered and were, therefore, covered with flies (fresh from the donkey dung heap, one assumes!). I had hoped to stock up on things for a barbecue from the accompanying farm shop but even I draw the line at paying just shy of £5 for half a dozen sausages and that was the only meat on offer, so I called in to the deli in Williton, instead! I know there is no charge to see the animals so that makes it a good value destination technically, but, to be honest, I'd rather pay an admission charge if it meant the exotic animals and birds had more enriching surroundings. Maybe they should stick to farm/domestic animals and leave the exotic side of things well alone? I'd be happy to support the cafe/restaurant if there were either better enclosures for the exotics or just farm animals kept in the barns. It all felt as though someone had taken some farm buildings and squeezed in as many cages as possible to draw in the crowds. As things are, I'd rather pay the extra to visit nearby Tropiquaria where the animals have far more natural enclosures. Top tip - be very careful of little fingers if you're travelling with small children as all the enclosures only have single mesh between you and the animals, which means anyone poking a finger through is likely to get up close and very personal with some sharp teeth! Watch out for the rats running wild around the mara enclosure, too!

3  Thank Henwife
There are newer reviews for Doniford Farm

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I really enjoyed my visit to Doniford Farm, what a suprise to find so many beautiful animals... My favourite if I had to pick were the Coatis who recently had pups so 10 out of 10 on the cute factor. The restaurant at the back of the farm shop, had really good food and a fab view as we got to eat drink and look at the lovely alpacas. Highly recommend Doniford Farm to anyone, whether its to enjoy the animals or for the good food.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We are a family of 5 who were staying on the Haven site just nextdoor. Over 2 weeks, we paid several visits to the farm (who currently don't charge to see the animals, just have donation boxes dotted around to help towards the animals upkeep). The animals were well looked after with signage noting those that were having their lodgings tended to. We ate lunch on our first visit (food not badly priced at all and all locally sourced)kids lunch boxes ideal with local ice cream and massive cream cakes on offer for afters. We came later in our stay for a carvery roast which rivaled the big pubs on price and was super tasty. We would highly recommend a visit to Doniford Farm, and with all the beautiful old out buildings yet to be put to use, we'll definately be back to see what they do with them!!

1  Thank mummybeans
Reviewed July 29, 2012

What a place to visit!!
Made our first visit on 22nd April 2012 when by chance we arrived just at the time the lambs were being fed. We were with friends who have a four year old son. He was handed a bottle and did not waste the chance of entering pen and feeding the lambs. Not many townies get that experience!
Looked in farm shop then went into restaurant for our Sunday lunch which we had intended to have in Watchet. Afterwards walked in fields to see and photo the farm animals and alpacas. Also looked at the more exotic animals housed in the barns.
Since then we, as a couple, have eaten in the restaurant twice for lunch, once for a coffee and cake stop. In addition I, by myself, have stopped for an all day breakfast. Superb dining area, good food, and very reasonable prices.
Would recommend a visit any time of year. We will certainly be returning. We do not live that far away and would certainly beat any visit to a Starbucks or McDonalds, or something similar.

1  Thank TriflingCircle
Reviewed July 3, 2012

stayed on haven next door so popped in for look. animals disappointing but signs up explaining no licence yet. farm shop tho was fab delicioys sausages and fresh eggs made a great breakfast :) didnt try the cafe but will next time I'm sure.

Management response:Responded July 14, 2012

We are pleased to confirm that we have now have been granted our zoo licence and all our animals are on dispaly to the public