“Perfect Experience”

and 1 more site!
The Lynch Country House
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Somerton
Reviewed March 7, 2013

What a piece of luck finding this lovely country hotel hidden amongst the trees in Somerton.
We had the whole Coach House for our party coming from Alexandria, VA for a christening in Keinton Mandeville. All the rooms and adjoining bathrooms were wonderfully decorated in true country style. There was even a small glassed-in foyer where we could have a small champagne toast when we all arrived.
The breakfast gave new meaning to the phrase 'Full English'....with fresh berries; juices; smoked salmon and cereals in addition to the usual eggs bacon etc....marvellous.
The service was polite and efficient. The grounds are beautiful with a lake and black swans.
and to top it all it was within walking distance of the centre of Somerton with all its pubs and shops.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 4, 2013

A lovely Georgian house and annexe set in pretty grounds complete with black swans and a small lake. A first class greeting on arrival before showing us our room ("Wessex") situated in the annexe. A pleasant comfortable room with double doors onto the garden, although on arrival it was a little too cold for comfort. It had most things you require for a pleasant nights stay but although a fair sized room did not have anywhere for the suitcase or anywhere to put things down apart from the bedside tables which were small. It would also have been nice to have had bedside lamps on both sides of the bed not just one. Need to make sure that the rooms are kept to standard - not a good look when the old bedside radio/clock is found hidden behind the curtains with the cord wrapped round it. The shower was next to useless - would not stay in its holder. When we pointed this out on our departure we did not receive any apology just "it was OK a few days ago!" On a positive note - very good breakfast in a lovely orangery but the morning welcome could have been warmer! Overall we enjoyed our stay but for £90 a night maybe a little more attention to detail would be good.Would we return - possibly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank holidaysabroad100
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Lynch Country House B and B whilst in Somerset for a work trip but it also coincided with my birthday so we "upgraded" to the Lynch, paying £115 for the Edington Room B and B. It is a lovely Georgian House with an imposing frontage and lovely formal gardens complete with black swans. It's a pity that it rained non-stop as we couldn't really enjoy the outside. The room was nice if a lttle dated for our taste and the bed very comfortable. En-suite was large but again I think could do with an update. I would have appreciated some little luxury touches such as nice toiletries, fresh milk with our in room tea/coffee. The hosts were perfectly pleasant and were efficient as the brought us up some champagne to our room that a couple of friends had arranged for me. However, I felt they were lacking that warmth that makes a place like this super special. Breakfast in the conservatory was great and very nicely presented. Probably wouldnt stay there again as there are so many other nice places to try and it wasn't exceptional for the price.

Room Tip: If you want space and can afford it, choose one of the pricier rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Barbara C
Mike M, General Manager at The Lynch Country House, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

We are always very pleased to receive our guests feedback as it helps us to assess our operation and to see where we are meeting or exceeding our guests expectations. We are certainly aware that there is a lot of choice for the traveller out there and we do always try to give the individual service and attention to detail that we would expect when we stay away from home.

We were very proud to receive the Tripadvisor 'Travellers' Choice' Award for 2013 directly as a result of our guests comments and recommendations for consistently achieving this.

We do try to engage on a personal and appropriate level with guests whilst always being mindful not to be too intrusive and we are most happy to discuss dining recommendations, places to visit and things to do and to arrange for transport if necessary as well as just to chat about the long history of the house where we feel our guests would like to.

On this occasion and with a nice bottle of bubbly and a couple of iced flutes in the room as a gift for a special occasion, we opted not to spoil the moment and retired, possibly a little quicker than normal.

The house last year was 200 years old and is indeed 'dated' being very much in the Georgian 'Regency' style with decoration and many original furnishings to match although we have had to update the sleeping arrangements a little!! Toiletries are individual Mandarin and Bergamot from Duck Island who bill themselves as 'Life's Little Luxury' and fresh milk, whilst not put in rooms, is always available on request.

We are very sorry to hear that on his rare occasion our guests where underwhelmed with what the Lynch has to offer, not helped I'm sure by the fact that is was a miserable, wet, grey and cold February day.

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stopped off here with friends on our way to a holiday in Cornwall and as it was snowy, we were pleased not to have to make the journey in one day, although roads were fine. Well located close to A303 and also close to the outlet village at Street, which was part of the reason we decided to stop here! It enabled us to combine shopping with travelling, always a nice way to break up a long journey.

I was in a room called Alderley which is a small double on the top floor. As a single traveller I was looking for the cheapest option and the room was cute but I did spend most of the time I was in the room in a stooped position, as the eaves make the headroom very tight! For one night it was fine but I think I might have developed a permanent stoop after a while if I had stayed longer. The four friends I was travelling with were all located in the coach house and given that they were very quiet that night, I didn't really understand why they didn't put me in the empty room next to them - after all changing one double bed is much similar to another and I would have been able to stand up when getting in and out of bed then!! Apart from the lack of headroom, room well well equipped and warm and I slept well, so no complaints about that.
An easy five minute walk into the town where there is a choice of pubs to eat at. We chose the Unicorn and enjoyed a couple of bottles of nice Sauvignon Blanc and some good pub grub. Bar lady was very friendly and cheery. Breakfast at The Lynch in the morning was good - no problems there. Plenty of parking space, nice grounds, easy to find - lots of things going for it. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: The website does give you an impression of the rooms but it doesn't really mention that the room...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The house is stunning and obviously very well kept. The room we stayed in was fantastic, with an amazing bed Gorgeous breakfast and a lovely warm and welcome service from Mike and Chris. It is definitely on the radar for the next time we are going to be in the area.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had one of the rooms in the eaves being a relative shorty it was no problem but might feel a little claustrophobic if you are fairly tall. I could'nt really pick fault with anything everything was as good or better than I would expect for the price we paid. The only disappointment was to our astonishment outside our room were a few steps up to an astronomical observatory complete with telescope which I did not know how to operate and probably should'nt have been toutching anyway after a couple of ciders in the White Hart. We only stopped one night but it would be nice to stop a little longer if we are in the area again

Room Tip: Avoid the attic rooms if you are fairly tall
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The rain was pouring down, veritably hammering off of the steeply gabled roof of the Lynch Country House Hotel during our visit. It didn't matter one bit. We stayed in the Goldington Room, able to enjoy the piping hot water in its on-suite whilst watching the clouds skud silently by. The silence was like a warm blanket wrapped around us - what a tonic for our everyday lives. I teach so peace and solitude are rare luxuries for me, doubly so with children at home too. Bless them. The Lynch Country House Hotel is, well, a large Georgian country house set in its own modest leafy grounds and no more than 50 yards from one of the roads that runs into Somerton. The main house is very tall and unusually is topped with a period glass observation deck and telescope for surveying the world around the house. The windows were not easy to see through (my wife shuddered at the thought of having to clean them, given how high we were).

As well as the main house, there are some rooms in an adjoining building. Goldington is the largest on offer. We were looking to treat ourselves and so although the room was pricy I'd say it was well worth the money.

The hosts, who live on site and manage the property for the jazz-loving owner, were wonderful - warm, helpful and attentive. Although the catering extends only to breakfast, the breakfast was a spectacular combination of fruit and something cooked to order. I can vouch for Mike's mushrooms with brown toast - not on the menu but created on request and delicious. The restaurant is lined with pictures from the jazz and swing era, a piano in the corner and musical memorabilia all around. It must be a great place to enjoy music but this is the owner's private occupation, rather than part of the hotel experience. My wife was itching to play the piano but didn't summon up the courage to ask if she could.

Somerton is a small Somerset town set on a hill at the edge the levels. Busy it is not. At least, it wasn't at the end of October when we visited but I rather imagine it is a quiet place even in high season, given the types of shop in the town (a couple of antique places, a chippy, a stationers and an unusual non-chain supermarket). We had an evening meal at the Globe pub. It was what I'd call plain honest food and reasonably priced for that. We heard from other guests that wonderful food was on offer in nearby Babcary as long as a table was booked in advance.

Room Tip: The website has images of the rooms on offer. These were a fair reflection of what we found when we...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 129Lee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Somerton
Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
#4 of 5 in Glastonbury
Millbatch Farm
Millbatch Farm
#5 of 5 in Glastonbury

Been to The Lynch Country House? Share your experiences!