“Early days.”

The White Hart
Ranked #9 of 24 Restaurants in Somerton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The kitchen team are in all day and producing snacks as well as 3 course meals. You can eat anywhere you like and there is a wide selection of hot food available throughout the day. Children are also very welcome and we do a small menu for them or can offer cut down versions off the main menu. The menu is fresh, simple, local and special. Working with some exceptional local suppliers, the team’s aim is to demonstrate just how good West Country food can be.
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This pub needs time to settle down. The restaurant staff are friendly but need further training as simply being pleasant doesn't lead to good service. It was slow and forgetful. The dining areas need air conditioning or better ventilation and the trend for an 'eclectic' mix of antique shop individual pieces of furniture is old hat and a lucky dip as to whether you get a comfortable seat and stable table.
The menu is well constructed, of the right size and interesting. Food is nicely cooked, assembled and reasonably priced.
Worth another visit in a few weeks time.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I'm a fan of the Swan at Wedmore, so was excited to find that they had taken over the White Hart. It's now been open for two weeks, after a complete revamp. The décor is fabulous: this rambling old pub has had a new lease of life. The style is very similar to that of the Swan: chic and stylish, yet warm and laid-back at the same time. The wall-lamps on looped ropes are particularly fine, and the stag-horn wallpaper is a witty reference to the name of the pub. There's a courtyard garden and a back garden as well as loads of space inside. The inglenook table with sofa next to the huge fireplace in the bar looks really cosy.

The food is in the same spirit as the mothership's: modern and Mediterranean-influenced. The wood-fired oven is a great touch, and the bread was delicious. My starter was tempura courgette flower stuffed with crabmeat: stunning. The mackerel fillet with fennel got a good review, too. Mains were roasted vegetable salad with char-grilled halloumi for me (delicious) and steak with chimichurri sauce (excellent). The chips are outstanding. There's a good selection of wines by the glass, and the coffee isn't bad (though my flat white could have been stronger).

The staff are charming, service is good, and we left with large smiles on our faces. Well done to the team, and we'll be back.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Just come back from a family meal ,have to say the pub itself has been redone out to the highest standard you can clearly see it has had loads of money spent on it.
Has a really good selection of drinks/beers, the food is not cheap but thats not an issue as its all fresh, but based on this visit I would say the starters and main meals are very very good,the deserts were lacking something in the taste department for some reason . The menu is not huge but thats a good thing in my opinion as everything is freshly cooked on the premises such as home made bread and ice cream. there are none of these ready made meal lorries parked outside in the morning delivering here.
Has only reopened in the last 2 weeks ,good luck loads of potential will go back for sure would suggest you work and push for customer feedback with all the meals as this place has real potential.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Went there on 20th July to celebrate my husbands birthday as it had been recommended by a work colleague & Somerton is only approx 10 miles to travel & we are always looking for somewhere different to try.
Met my brother in law & sister in law there at 7.30, had a table booked for 8pm, so we had a drink in the courtyard first which on such a warm evening was a lovely place to sit, quality tables & chairs and a little herb garden. The pub & courtyard were very busy but had a lovely ambience.
We went to our table at 8 and were quickly bought menus that are printed on A4 paper as I assume the meals change according to which fresh produce is available, there were about 5/6 choices for each course. Between the 4 of us we all chose something different and over 3 courses had a great selection, and apart from my husband thought his pork belly dish could have been served hotter we couldn't fault it, and were already talking about a return visit before we had finished. We went back to the courtyard after our meal for coffee & liquors, which finished the evening off perfectly.
The young staff are very friendly & attentive, and considering how busy it was there were no delays. The old pub has been refurbished to a very high standard cleverly mixing old and new styles. The menu has been very cleverly put together using local fresh produce which is delicious.
I would recommend anyone pay this pub a visit, but its not traditional pub food so be prepared to pay slightly more but it will be worth it - can't wait to try again!

1  Thank foxyreds
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a week in Somerset and went to the White Hart twice during our stay. The first time we had stumbled upon it by chance and just stopped for a drink. We were very impressed by the staff and the restaurant itself looked lovely and so we went back on our last night for a meal. We weren't disappointed.

Again all the staff were great, very attentive and helpful. The food was gorgeous. I should say that we are both vegetarian, and were really impressed, but the meat dishes coming out looked amazing as well. Although the menu is small it has been very well thought out and just focuses on a few local and organic choices, and we were amazed at how much of the food is made on the premises (basically everything - even the sauces and ice cream).

My vegetarian main meal was really nice (wood roasted veg, halloumi and chickpea salad with a home made cucumber and yoghurt sauce), and my husband had one of the flatbread pizzas which was fantastic, you could really taste that it had been cooked in a proper wood fired pizza oven and even the tomato sauce on the base was lovely.

The restaurant itself is in my opinion beautifully decorated and seems to be fitted out to a really high standard. It has a decent sized outdoor seating area which was great for the this time of year, but will be really cosy in the winter too with all its wood fired stoves and alcove seating.

Overall this is one of the nicest pubs I have been in, and was one of the nicest meals I have honestly ever had. We will definitely return if we are back in the area! I'm just sorry we don't live closer.

1  Thank Littlelozza321