“Rooms great, restaurant not”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Courtyard Hamilton

Courtyard Hamilton
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hamilton
Michigan
“Rooms great, restaurant not”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We stayed there one night ... the rooms were very cozy,comfortable and clean. The shower was awesome ... it had a special shower head that took away all my aches and pains of a 7-hour drive that day. The only downer after a long day on the road was a bottle of water in my room that had a big pricetag on it of $3. Not very welcoming for a tired, thirsty traveler or accommodating and a tacky first impression. My biggest complaints are with the restaurant on premises and the weekend front desk guy. I walked into the lobby at 6:30 a.m. on a Saturday, sleepily asked for some coffee and the young *&$## told me "we don't serve coffee, we serve Starbucks." I felt like saying: You know, dispense with the semantics, just direct me to the caffeine. While trying to process this idiotic remark, I heard myself saying, "OK, where's the Starbucks?" The front desker then tells me no coffee until 7, when the restaurant opens. OK, no complimentary coffee, just Starbucks at $5 a pop and nothing until 7 a.m. Is it impossible to have coffee available at 6 a.m. for those early risers? Why not train the front desk moron to make the Starbucks and not wait for the restaurant staff? Is this asking too much? The restaurant has issues, too. The caesar salad is pitiful, with bottled dressing. If you want rich rich flavors of olive oil, parmesan cheese and anchovies, forget it. No attention to caesar detail here. No dressing made from scratch. Just throw it on the plate and serve it. Also, the cobb salad arrived in front of my wife missing the menu-advertised avocados and blue cheese. At the end of the meal we ordered bread pudding. We waited and waited for it and finally were told by the waitress that there will be a 20-minute wait for it because they do something special to it in the kitchen. Here's an idea: take the 20 minutes and do something special to the caesar salad at and beginning of the meal for a rousing first impression. Reading between the lines told me they wanted to make us wait to sell more after dinner drinks, coffee, etc. to a pair of waiting diners. We ended up scrapping the pudding. Check please! Next time, this restaurant will get a pass.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MichiganSammie
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Hamilton, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
MichiganSammie,
Thank you for your review. We value your business, and we're glad you stayed with us at Courtyard. I'm glad your room was clean and comfortable and you liked the special shower head. I apologize for any rudeness you encountered by our staff and assure you that this is not our typical guest service. I apologize for the restaurant issues as well. Your feedback is important to me and I take all comments from our guests seriously. We always look for ways to improve our guest experiences, so I'm glad to read your comments and hope to use them constructively. We hope to have you return for another visit as we look forward to providing a more positive experience. Thanks again.
Carman Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Pittsburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

We've have always had very pleasant experiences the many times we were fortunate enough to get a room there while visiting our Miami student. The staff has been quite helpful each time In fact, one time guests (students there from other universities) were outside our room in the hall prepping for a mock trial team competition and were a bit noisy, but not inappropriately so. I asked for a fan to mask the noise, but the staff offered to move us instead. We were given an even nicer room on a floor that was not housing the trial teams.

Also I feel it's unfair that other reviews have reported it's in an unsafe area. We have never felt uncomfortable in the area at all. It's not in a posh area, but it feels safe to us.

Room Tip: River views are nice if you can get one.
Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Hamilton, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Deborah K,
Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us at Courtyard. I'm glad your visits with us have been pleasant, and I'm pleased you've found our staff to be friendly and helpful. We hope you'll continue to stay with us while visiting your Miami student. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Overall I had a good stay, but: I found bedbugs in my room. The head maintenance man was excellent in his response; he washed my clothes and cleaned all my goods. However they need to take care of this bedbug issue before I'll be back, just a warning to anyone staying there.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Dtfrancis
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Hamilton, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Dtfrancis,

Thank you for your review. Your business is appreciated and we're glad you stayed with us at Courtyard. With regards to your feedback, we take these matters very seriously. I will reach out to you personally. We reviewed all other guest rooms to ensure there are no bugs present. Thanks again and I hope to speak with you soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Was here fore business and a memorial service. Found the staff to be helpful and courteous. The decor is modern and a bit upscale. The rooms were nice and overall this was a comfortable hotel experience. I'd stay here again. Would love to come back with my husband and take the time to check out more of the area.

The hotel is near Hamilton's downtown area and the freeway is close. While in the area, don't miss the opportunity to go to the mega-store Jungle Jim's. To truly take in all they have, plan on being in the store for a couple of hours, minimum. If you are a foodie or wine lover, this is the place for a large selection of both. The prices are also reasonable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank KennetteR
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Hamilton, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
KennetteR,
Thank you for your kind review. We're glad you chose to stay with us at Courtyard, and we're pleased you had a pleasant visit. I'm glad you found our rooms comfortable and liked our modern decor. And you're right, Jungle Jim's is awesome. We hope you'll have the opportunity to bring your husband next time and enjoy another visit. We look forward to seeing you again.
Carman Johnson
Newport News, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Was on a road trip to the mid west and stayed here because it had a pool and was near Jungle Jim's huge grocery store. There were no problems at all. The front desk staff seemed a little snooty. They made a big announcement about how they opened up for breakfast (not included) in the morning at 6:30. The staff seemed very focused on keeping dollars in house. Needless to say we skipped the breakfast. The smoothie machine was down. The rooms were clean, The pool was nice and we ate dinner at a nearby Steak N Shake.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Hamilton, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
GravyBoatr,
Thank you for your review. We're glad to have had you stay with us at Courtyard. I'm pleased you liked our rooms and pool. I hope you had a good time shopping at Jungle Jim's too! Please come and visit us again soon.
Strongsville, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

We were scheduled to stay at this hotel for Miami's parents weekend, but my daugher came down with strep throat five days prior and came home. I called the hotel immediately to cancel our reservation, and was informed there was a 45 day cancelllation policy in effect (Wow). They were not able to find a replacement and charged our card the full rate of $257.05 for one night for a room we could not use. I am a Marriott Silver Rewards member, and travel frequently for work and club athletics. Enforcing polices can be detrimental to long term loyalty, especially since the hotel had a 99% occupancy that evening. Glad that I have other options!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GB1012
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Hamilton, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
GB1012,
Thank you for your review. We are always glad to hear from our loyal customers and appreciate you taking the time to write. Since your posting, we have communicated with one another and worked out a favorable result. I'm glad we were able to resell your room and provide the refund you had requested. We value your business and hope you will visit us again soon.
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here due to my sister being at Miami University and I had reward points to use. Due to some festival (very strange on a Sunday afternoon in October) the one block we need to go down to the hotel was closed, so we saw some pretty bad areas of town that should be hidden from tourists. The hotel itself was very nice, hough we were a bit taken aback when the desk clerk told us they prefer we use the front doors for safety reasons! We were at the end of the 6th floor and honestly until we went to bed I would have said this was the perfect hotel. The temp control is the modern wall one, which we don't prefer as we like the white noise the old window models allowed but the room cooled and heated quickly. The layout for our king room was different but we loved it. The bed was one of the best I've seen in a hotel that wasn't extra expensive, even my husband loved it and we normally don't agree on beds. The bathtub is kind of shallow but still worked for a nice relaxing soak. There are lots of places to put things in the shower and bathroom, though not a lot of options for hanging towels. We didn't try any of the food or even look at the pool so I can't comment on that.

As I said, I would have given this hotel a perfect review till we went to bed. At first it appeared that the room was actually almost completely dark, till I turned over and went to change pillows. The smoke detector was right above our head and the blinking light was ridiculously bright!! It didn't seem so bad in the morning but with the almost total darkness and the bright white bedding, it was not good. There was also some issues with hearing people in the halls and any door that was closed in that half of the hallway we heard. The road and train track did not prove to be bothersome but we were really tired so maybe that helped. I was woken up at 5am by a vehicle backing up, I swear they backed around the entire parking lot, the beeping lasted for a number of minutes after I woke up. Around 8:30 this morning there was a loud siren, not quite what I associate with tornados but maybe some kind of test for one of the factories in the area? Anyhow I'm glad we were already awake because that would have been a rude awakening.

As my sister is only a freshman this year, I'm sure I'll be back in the area and will strongly consider staying here again. By the way, if you are in the area, there are some chain restaurants not too far from the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sabinebaby
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Hamilton, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
sabinebaby,
Thank you for your review. We're pleased you and your husband chose to stay with us at Courtyard, and glad you enjoyed your visit. We hope you'll come and visit us again, and next time the noises outside won't be as bothersome! We wish your sister a wonderful schoolyear.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
Hampton Inn Oxford University Area
Baymont Inn & Suites Oxford
Comfort Inn Oxford
Comfort Inn Oxford
#5 of 8 in Oxford
Hampton Inn Cincinnati Northwest Fairfield
BEST WESTERN PLUS Whitewater Inn
Holiday Inn Express Fairfield

Been to Courtyard Hamilton? Share your experiences!