Did not stay here (fortunately) but went for Sunday lunch today with a group of friends, whilst on a weekend away near Porlock. The proprietors were unfriendly and unwelcoming right from the minute they came to take our lunch order. When the food arrived and was placed on the table, one of the owners managed to splash me with hot fat from a dish of roast vegetables staining the front of my cream top and more seriously burning my face and neck. He provided absolutely no first aid action to remedy this and just carried on serving the dinner seeming totally oblivious to the fact that I was in pain. I spent 10 minutes in the Ladies toilet sluicing myself with cold water to prevent any burn blisters forming and then one of my friends had to request some ice wrapped in a cloth so that I could continue to soothe the burning sensation. After some time the female proprietor offered me a half used pot of nappy rash Sudocrem and suggested I should put this on the burns. Apart from the obvious hygiene issues of offering a customer a used pot of nappy cream to apply to my face/neck, she obviously had no knowledge of the prompt and correct first aid treatment for burns. I was both angry and upset and needless to say did not enjoy my meal one bit. Before leaving I took the proprietors to one side, away from other customers at the bar and spoke to them in quiet disbelief about their actions, or rather, lack of them. It was painfully obvious that they have never received any training in customer service or first aid procedures. Accidents do happen, but what is important is that prompt action is taken to remedy the situation. They were totally unable to acknowledge or accept that a customer injured by their actions on their premises should have been dealt with in a much more appropriate and caring manner.
Aside from that, 2 of our party who do not eat red meat, chose the chicken roast dinner, only to find that it had beef & lamb gravy sloshed all over it. The female proprietor's solution to this was that she could wash it off for them! Would I recommend this place to anyone else......... NEVER!!
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.