We just spent a lovely long Valentines weekend in Porlock and on our last night decided to east out. Everything was closed in Porlock so we drove out a little way to the Culbone which we had passed on a couple of occasions. We were not disappointed! Tony the Chef is such a wonderful cook … we were greeted warmly by the staff front of house and I ordered the scallops and local lamb. Possibly the best scallops I’ve ever tasted.
All ingredients are sourced locally and cooked to perfection. My partner had the beef which was stunning too.
We can’t recommend this place enough. You absolutely MUST visit if you are in the area. Great food, lovingly prepared and at a reasonable price too. The restaurant has a great atmosphere and furnishings are great too.
We will definitely be back for one of Tony’s cookery lessons. I am a keen cook myself and experienced the Roux delights at the Waterside in Bray late last year. I wouldn’t hesitate to eat at The Culbone again and if I was local it would be a regular haunt of mine
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Alex and myself Annette, have recently taken over the Culbone Stables Inn on Exmoor. It is situated on the A39 between Porlock and Lynton in the idyllic heart of Exmoor. Our Inn and gardens are in a beautiful setting and have exceptional views across the valley of Coombe. Our aim has been to renovate the restaurant back to a welcome, friendly Country Inn/pub. Our menu is traditional pub fare, at reasonable prices, using local produce. We welcome walkers, cyclists, families and dogs. We have 5 on suite bedrooms. 2 are opposite each other (one twin, one double) with their own landing and would be perfect for families. Room 1 has its own private patio, with stunning views. Our motto is , anything you want, just ask. We might not be able to fulfil some requests but there's no harm in asking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your The Culbone Stables Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Culbone Stables Hotel Porlock
- The Culbone Stables Inn Porlock, England