“Enjoyable weekend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in North Petherton
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

We have visited the Walnut Tree many times in recent years and always found it most acceptable.
2011 and 2012, we organised a large party booking for North Petherton Carnival weekend and on both occasions our party had an enjoyable time.
The staff are consistently pleasant and helpful. The atmosphere is friendly yet professional.
Accommodation is most comfortable.
One of the best small hotels we know.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Torquay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We discovered the walnut tree on last minute.com as we wanted a nights accomodation for the bridgewater carnival. The hotel was so easy to find and all the staff were so friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We were allocated a suite which was enormous. The hotel itself is a tad quincy but we will definately return as the staff were so good, you don't actually take any notice of your surroundings. Don't get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with the decor it was just more cutesy than we would normally go for. We loved the fact that transport was put on to get us too and from the carnival which was a lovely touch. We have already booked for next year. Thank you for your hospitality and we look forward to seeing you next year.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at the Walnut Tree Hotel over Guy Fawkes weekend - where the famous Bridgwater Carnival takes place just up the road. The staff at the Walnut Tree were really lovely, friendly and helpful. The main road was due to be closed soon after we checked in, so they managed to order us a taxi straight away and get us on the road. We got back in quite late, and asked a couple of questions at reception - and were greeted with a fresh-faced young lady (despite the late hour) who was really helpful. Breakfast the next morning was adequate - the usual full English buffet style and we weren't left wanting for anything. Thank you!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Plymouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

My wife and I have just returned from what I would say was one of the most enjoyable weekend breaks in a long time. This smallish hotel has a very friendly atmosphere that purveys throughout, mainly I think down to the staff, It's as if the hotel is run as a cooperative and all the staff have shares, I know this is probably not the case but it's the best way I can find to describe the enthusiasm and friendliness of all the staff there. Each one of them went out of their way to make you feel welcome and "at home" I was even taught how to play Blackjack (not for money I hasten to add)

We stayed for the carnival weekend which included welcome drinks and canapes followed by a gala dinner all of which were first class, I had the steak which can sometimes be a disappointment in an hotel but not in this case, chef certainly knows his/her stuff, not easy when I like my steaks well done, like a knife through butter. The other guests had the rabbit which I have been informed was delicious.

Breakfast was not a disappointment, the full works all cooked to perfection, plus ample toast cereals fresh fruit etc.

What can I say about the waiting staff? attentive, friendly, very amusing, quirky even but above all extremely efficient.

The decor might be a little dated but then again so am I! I have stayed in 5 star "designer" hotels which when compered to The Walnut Tree have an atmosphere similar to a morgue.

All in all a brilliant little hotel.

If you think this revue is a little too effusive and biased and all my revues are like this, it's not, look out for my next revue of The Tilly Bistro in Bath!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Walnut Tree on Saturday 20th October 2012.

We were going to a friend’s wedding that day, and so unfortunately arrived too early to check in to our actual room prior to the wedding starting, they said we could get changed in the disabled toilets downstairs and they would place our luggage in our rooms after the 3pm check in time. This was fine as we had to rush off to the wedding anyway. The receptionists on duty were really friendly and very welcoming.

We arrived back from the wedding to the Walnut tree at 1am, the night porter gave us our key-card but unfortunately the receptionist had forgot to programme it so it didn’t work in the room door. We had to go back to reception and call for the night porter again who arrived, and programmed the key and we were able to get in to the room. Bit of a faff to have to go through when one is tired at 1am but it was okay and he was very polite.

Our luggage was in our room as promised.

However, the room was FREEZING cold. Let’s not forget this was a very cold night at the end of October, the radiators were not even on a heat setting they were all on ‘0’. I turned them on but they were on timer so remained cold until 6am when the heating came on. The bed only had a sheet and a thin blanket on it, there were no extra blankets in the cupboards. Needless to say that I literally spent the night curled up in a ball in the bed trying to keep warm and had a terrible night’s sleep.

Now, here’s my complaint about this place, yes I am spoilt and we do stay in 5 star resorts a lot, however when we do on occasion stay in local hotels and B&B’s I do expect a couple of things, one is for it to be clean and the other is for a cosy bed to sleep in. The room was very clean which was great, however, it really annoys me that we booked this room a few weeks ago and yet the hotel didn’t even put the heating on in our room prior to arrival. They just left the room cold and the radiators turned off even though they knew guests would be staying. It’s not the summer any more, it’s the end of October in Somerset, they know they are not going to be getting balmy evenings and they know it’s cold. I just found it a little bit cheap of them. I was exhausted, we got up at 6am on Saturday to come down for this wedding and so by the time we got to bed at 1.30am we’d been awake for over 19 hours, to get back to a freezing cold room and a bed that had nothing but a thin blanket was just really disappointing. I had a really, really bad night’s sleep, there’s nothing worse than being cold in bed and so I was exhausted when we got up.

The other thing that disgruntled me was the breakfast. Having had little sleep I was looking forward to a hot cup of coffee and some good grub. The breakfast team were really lovely, polite and welcoming. However, having taken our order it took them 25 minutes to bring us the fry ups, of which they’d managed to get my husband’s order completely wrong, don't offer a choice if you can't even write it down correctly. I had ordered tomatoes, expecting cooked grilled breakfast tomatoes, I was shocked to find a whole raw tomato plonked on my plate, (they had obviously stuck it under the grill for a minute as the skin had started to peel on the top, but it was literally whole, cold and raw throughout) what kind of a chef does that and believes it’s acceptable? It was really odd. Also, I must have gotten around a teaspoon of baked beans, and half a slice of black pudding. I just found that a bit cheap of them to be honest, it’s like giving someone half a sausage, if you advertise black pudding on the menu, at least give someone a whole slice. They also started packing up the juices etc. away before the 10am breakfast cut off which made us feel really rushed. The coffee was cold and too strong, I expect it had been stewing in the kitchen for quite some time.

Check out was 11am, I was hoping to speak to the receptionist about my experiences, however the lady on duty didn’t ask us once if we’d had a nice stay, just took out key card from us and walked off, hence me writing this review instead.

So, we arrived in to our actual rom at 1am and left the hotel at 11am, it was £109 for our room which worked out at £10.90 per hour, for a freezing cold room and quite frankly a poor breakfast experience. I just found it all a bit cheap. If you’re a B&B, at least give your guests a cosy bed to sleep in and a decent breakfast if nothing else. We got neither here.

Room Tip: Ask them to put the heating on in advance so you actually have a warm cosy room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessica A
walnuttree87, Manager at The Walnut Tree Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
In response to your recent Trip Advisor Review, we would like to take this opportunity to express our dismay and concern at your unhappy stay with us.

We have checked the automatic key card machine and door locks and we can confirm that your key was correctly programmed, perhaps you had it next to your mobile phone, as this will "wipe" the temporay coding.

With regards to the temperature of your bedroom you may recall we were in a very mild weather pattern, especially for mid October. The minimum temperature that night was 11 degrees celsius. We had received several guest comments that evening and again at breakfast of how "hot" the hotel was. We are sorry you were cold. Also the night porter has a supply of extra blankets and supplementary heaters.

Breakfast is often a reason for people leaving positive comments; not only for the friendliness of the waiting staff, but also for the content and freshness of the Full English Breakfast. All breakfast are COOKED FRESH to order and sometimes this can lead to a slight delay. All our ingredients are as local as possible, and our "full house" includes eggs, bacon, mushrooms, tomato, sausage, hash browns, fried bread, baked beans, with fried ham also available. Plus of course all juices, local yoghurts, frest fruit, cereals and more.

We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay and if you are travelling our way again, we would be pleased to meet you and discuss your grievances.
Moffat, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

I spent 2 evenings at this hotel whilst on business in the area and would recommend. Room very clean and spacious with some nice extras. Decor/ furnishings a touch dated but did not detract from my stay. All staff very friendly and helpful. I dined both evenings and really enjoyed the food- salmon salad was wonderful. Breakfast good quality and good selection- cooked to order too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Cauldholm-B-and-B
Hayle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

I ve stayed at the walnut tree for over 12 years now and even more regularly stop there just for breakfast.
It is without doubt one of the best breakfasts you'll find, All the meat comes from Pynes award winning butchers,who used to be 3 doors away but have now moved to larger premises beside the Motorway. Always ask for some cold ham, proper carved off the bone and not the watery supermarket cash and carry rubbish you get in most places.
The staff are always friendly and extremely accomodating, no corporate smiles, just local friendly people who great you like an old friend. Dawn the long serving breakfast waitress is a national treasure once you meet her you'll understand why!!!
Bar prices are the same as my local pub in cornwall.
the food menu changes regularly and they even have a 2 steaks and a bottle of wine for £25 most friday nights.
All the staff are local, no eastern europeans here.
A rare treat to find a hotel that is the closest to a home from home that you'll ever find.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Laburnum House Lodge Hotel
Laburnum House Lodge Hotel
#1 of 1 in West Huntspill
Castle of Comfort Country House

Been to The Walnut Tree Hotel? Share your experiences!