All reviews the pub lovely village private bathroom pretty village fish and chips roll top bath tea and coffee facilities lovely room somerset pubs mattress
Reviewed August 26, 2018

My wife and I had enjoyed our previous visits to this pub in out of the way Hinton St George. However, we had agreed to meet friends there for Sunday lunch - so 4 people at one table. We arrived a little after 1pm - the food arrived at the table just after 2.30pm. Over an hours wait. No one took a wine order and we had to go to the bar. Neither the sherry nor the red wine on the menu was available. I tried to jolly along two increasingly ill tempered women and was savaged in return. We left after the main course as the atmosphere had become unpleasant. I hope this is just a one off but I won't be going back as its not an afternoon I care to remember..

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2018

I have stopped at the Lord Poulett Arms several times over the years en route to Cornwall and am always delighted to arrive in this incredibly pretty village. The pub has always been welcoming and the staff absolutely remain so, but I was even more delighted to arrive this weekend to find that the team behind The Beckford Arms and The Talbot have added the Lord Poulett Arms to their pub family. Their first job seems to have seems to have been to transform the small car-park into a wonderful terrace perfect for both drinks and dining. The wrought iron furniture creates a genuinely lovely place to be and means that guests now have three areas (the garden at the top with Fives Wall and (new) hammock, the 'formal' mid gardens and now the new terrace) to enjoy every bit of good weather without feeling crowded by their fellow guests. Inside the bar area seems more spacious - was there a sofa in the way last time I was there? Maybe. Anyway, the new table is its place seemed poplar made even more so by the very moreish spicy garlic bread sent out by the kitchen for us all to snack on. Dinner was delicious and I think prices have come down a little from the last time I was there which is always encouraging, particularly when the standard of food has gone up! My bedroom was comfortable with lovely views over the village and I understand from Charlie (one of the owners) that there are more plans for the bedrooms afoot. Great. All in all, excellent news. This stunning pub in an equally stunning setting deserves to be in the best hands. I hope that future visits will prove that it is!

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 19, 2018 via mobile

We stayed for one night on a visit to Dorset and booked for dinner as the write-ups were good. The room , (we booked by telephone), we were told was en suite. When we arrived we found a separate room with toilet and basin but a bath in the befroom. It was impossible to have a shower in the bath without getting water all over the floor and the mixer tap was very difficult to adjust to the correct temperature!
I had taken my own hair dryer and there was no plug to use by a mirror( I later discovered they had put a shaving mirror in the wardrobe as someone else must have complained!) too late!
Dinner was enjoyable and the staff pleasant and helpful. Be aware the lighting in the restaurant at night is dim and it makes it difficult to read the menu even with glasses!
Breakfast was adequate but the housekeeper was very helpful. All in all would I revisit? Probably not .

Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2018

It is disappointing when returning to a favourite restaurant, to find setting the same but the food disappointing. I have known and liked this charming venue for many years.
In the past the chef who was Japanese created superb dishes. Our dinner last night failed to excite. My trout rilette contained too much mayonnaise which totally hid the flavour of the fish
My gnocchi , which looked very attractive, contained tough stem broccoli and very few gnocchi.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled with friends
1  Thank David B
Reviewed April 24, 2018

Lovely village and the hotel is the place to stay but why on earth have an en suite containing just a loo and a sink while putting a roll top bath in the bedroom! My wife tried her best to make the most of the bath but of course made the bedroom carpet wet while failing to wash her hair successfully. I used the sink in the ensuite.
It's a lovely old Inn and the food is reasonable but someone should mention the word "practical" to the owner. We'll return when the en suite shower is installed!

Stayed: April 2018, traveled as a couple