“High quality food and a lovely pub”
Review of Lord Poulett Arms

Lord Poulett Arms
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Elegant 17th Century Inn located in a very peaceful location in one of the most beautiful villages in the West Country. Hinton St George is set in stunning rolling, typically English countryside on the borders of Somerset, Devon & Dorset. The Lord Poulett Arms has recently won numerous prestigious national awards including “Gastro Pub of the Year” from the Good Hotel Guide, & “National Dining Pub of the Year” in the Good Pub Guide & received superb reviews from every quality newspaper incl 9/10 for food & 9/10 service from The Sunday Times & “Best Sunday Lunch in the West Country” from The Observer. The Inn is furnished with taste & much of the furniture is antique. The quality of the food is the main draw to The Lord Poulett with it winning the Good Pub Guide “Somerset Dining Pub of the Year” in 2009, 2012, 2014 & 2015. The Inn has two gardens; one a French inspired knot garden with Wisteria covered pergola & Boules Piste & the other a typically English wild garden full of mistletoe covered apple tree’s, Hammocks & Love Seats & even a Five’s Wall (the forerunner to squash)
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I don't know why I do not go here more! The quality of the food here is as good if not better than some top restaurants I have eaten in.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

We got recommended this beautiful village pub by our accommodation owners as a great place for an evening meal. The pub itself is full of character with a lively atmosphere and pleasant service.

After turning up without a reservation, we ordered some drinks and enquired if a table was available, and after a couple of minutes we were advised we could have a table immediately and were shown to it.

We found the service to be warm, friendly and attentive, and I have to say the food was excellent, if a little OTT for a pub. Maybe it's me, but I prefer pubs to be a little less pretentious menu wise, and perhaps a little more rustic. Don't get me wrong I appreciate great food and don't want egg 'n' chips, but when pubs go down this route menu's tend to be very focused and slightly narrower in food choice.

Overall nice food if a little overpriced. £25 for a steak for example!

Reviewed May 3, 2014

This was out first visit to celebrate a friends birthday. Goats cheese cake was lovey, but I would prefer a little more of the relish on top. Main courses were flavoursome, meat, veggie and fish options. Desserts were a great end to the meal and we left feeling rather full. The men's toilet is apparently worth a visit, there was nothing similar in the ladies, I feel we missed out!! Couple of draft ales from the barrel and a selection of gin,unfortunately not on draft!? Staff very friendly and service was good. A traditional feel to the pub but with food delivering something more.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

Our Skittle Team decided to have a meal at The Lord Poulett Arms for our end of season get together and because of various other commitments we could only meet up Monday 31st of March 8pm We had pre-booked because there were 8 of us but thinking as it was a weekday we most likely would have the place to our selves but don't you believe it, it was nearly full and the busy staff did a grand job of looking after us all. The well trained staff, in this quality food establishment I hope will continue to do well, and for the place to be that busy on a Monday speaks for it self.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Having decided to visit The Lord Poulett Arms, after reading such fabulous reviews and accounts from other T.A. users, the four of us arrived for an early evening dinner full of high expectations.

Dear oh dear. What a great disappointment.

After reserving a table in mid afternoon we found it wasn't really necessary, as the establishment had plenty of seating options available for us.

The greeting made by one of the waitresses at the bar was encouraging, offering my brother and I samples from the two cask ales available. From here on in, everything seemed to go downhill.

Main courses were limited with no starters at all on the very short menu. We all plumped for the "Poullet curried chicken" option along with two portions of the excellent chips they had graciously fried for us as a favour.
I'm afraid most of the chicken went uneaten, with no staff member enquiring as to our enjoyment of the meal until we decided to call it a day and asked for the bill. We explained to the waitress our dissfaction with the meal. She returned moments later informing us that only the drinks and chips would be charged for. A kind gesture certainly...but no sign of any senior management to air our views to.

For an established restaurant with such prestigious awards gained over the years, this was a complete and utter disappointment and I'm afraid it would not figure in a return visit.

1  Thank casbar3