“A Little Dissapointing”
Review of The Mill at Rode

The Mill at Rode
Ranked #32 of 100 Restaurants in Frome
Cuisines: Barbecue, Contemporary, British, Bar
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Mill at Rode is a quintessential English inn, set on a stunning riverside site, surrounded by beautiful gardens and with a fabulous deck area overlooking the water. This former woollen mill is one of the few surviving that once put Rode on the map as a key trading centre and market town on the Somerset and Wiltshire border. The Mill was part of a consortium that won a competition to make a dress for Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III, and invented a dye colour Royal Blue.. The Mill is now part of the Butcombe Brewery group of pubs and through sensitive restoration still connects with its industrial past, including the historic waterwheel. The pub has recently undergone a big refurbishment and the result is a carefully crafted modern, contemporary environment that is ideal for meeting friends, enjoying family time, or celebrating major events, with private dining facilities for up to 60 guests. Renowned for its great fresh locally sourced food and convivial atmosphere, the Mill at Rode is a perfect location for all occasions. There is plenty of parking and outside the chance to try your hand at some typical English pub games such as Giant Jenga and croquet so it is ideal for enjoying the lovely natural setting on the River Frome. Close to Bath, the Mill is a mecca for locals and visitors alike who are looking for a relaxing time. The Mill chefs pride themselves on using only the best ingredients, with as many as possible being supplied locally. On the menu are some classic British dishes such as sausage and mash with onion gravy to hearty international favourites such as dry rubbed pork ribs. And of course there is a fantastic selection of ales from Butcombe Brewery and a wide range of wines to suit all tastes and palates.
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This is probably the hardest review I have done.On arrival we were made very welcome and given the choice where to sit.We chose the quieter end of the restaurant which sadly was rather chilly.My nose was dropping off by the time we had finished!Now to the food,I had the duck breast which was delicious but the main reason for choosing it was because it was served with dauphinois potatoes which happen to be my favourite.Sad to say they were not good,not even the right colour in my opinion,and certainly devoid of flavour which was very odd.Didn't even seem cooked through although the potatoes were so thinly cut?The sticky toffee pudding was probably the best I have ever had which was complemented by the gorgeous ice cream.We visited in the dark so could not appreciate the setting which must be amazing,so would love to go back in daylight and give it another try.Well done to our waitress she was very pleasant.

There are newer reviews for The Mill at Rode

Reviewed November 16, 2013

This was one of the best meals I've had in a long time... BEGINNING TO END!! We were greeted by friendly, professional staff who were happy to give their full attention to us. It was really busy but this didn't phase the staff, they communicated with us throughout the meal. I had mussels to start BY FAR THE BEST I'VE EVER HAD followed by a Chestnut and Leek Wellington served with vegetables and new potatoes for only £10. My sister had pear tart tartan for dessert - absolutely gorgeous!!

We will definitely return, and I would recommend this riverside restaurant to everyone!!

Impressed!!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We have been to the Mill a few times and find it quite hit or miss. Tonight was a big miss.
We went for a family meal with the visiting grandparents. My son and I ordered a Mill Burger for £11 each. The burgers were very thick and were totally pink inside. I asked for them to be sent back to the kitchen. They were returned shortly after slightly more cooked but I quickly found they were still bright pink in the middle. I advised the serving staff again and was asked if I wished for them to be returned to the kitchen for more cooking. By this time, the rest of the table had finished their mains so I just asked for the burgers to be taken off the bill.
The serving staff appologised and said the chef had said that some people like their burgers pink in the middle. Alarm bells started ringing for me at this point and my boyfriend had to explain that the meat in a burger has been processed and exposed to outside bacteria unlike the meat inside a steak for example, so needs to be properly cooked all the way through. This is basic food safety.
It's a shame as the Mill does a really nice Lamb roast but for the sake of our health, we will not be returning.

1  Thank Emily W
Reviewed October 28, 2013

This was the first time we have visited the mill we were staying with friends in trowbridge on the Saturday night and we booked the table in the middle of the week for 4 ,this was my experience of the food which i could not fault,i ordered the cauliflower and cheese soup very good indeed followed by the Cornish mussels which would be very difficult to fault overall a very good experience.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

We were referred by the proprieter of Castle Bath and Lodge. An old mill in one of the most beautiful park-like settings I've ever seen, and off the main road. Our dinner was outstanding (to each his own), and enough side dishes to feed at least five (we were only three). The wine that was recommended was just perfect. Well worth the price.