“Terrible service”
Review of The Mill at Rode

The Mill at Rode
Ranked #28 of 103 Restaurants in Frome
Cuisines: Barbecue, Contemporary, British, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Description: The Mill at Rode is a quintessential English inn, set on a stunning riverside site, surrounded by beautiful gardens and with a fabulous deck area overlooking the water. This former woollen mill is one of the few surviving that once put Rode on the map as a key trading centre and market town on the Somerset and Wiltshire border. The Mill was part of a consortium that won a competition to make a dress for Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III, and invented a dye colour Royal Blue.. The Mill is now part of the Butcombe Brewery group of pubs and through sensitive restoration still connects with its industrial past, including the historic waterwheel. The pub has recently undergone a big refurbishment and the result is a carefully crafted modern, contemporary environment that is ideal for meeting friends, enjoying family time, or celebrating major events, with private dining facilities for up to 60 guests. Renowned for its great fresh locally sourced food and convivial atmosphere, the Mill at Rode is a perfect location for all occasions. There is plenty of parking and outside the chance to try your hand at some typical English pub games such as Giant Jenga and croquet so it is ideal for enjoying the lovely natural setting on the River Frome. Close to Bath, the Mill is a mecca for locals and visitors alike who are looking for a relaxing time. The Mill chefs pride themselves on using only the best ingredients, with as many as possible being supplied locally. On the menu are some classic British dishes such as sausage and mash with onion gravy to hearty international favourites such as dry rubbed pork ribs. And of course there is a fantastic selection of ales from Butcombe Brewery and a wide range of wines to suit all tastes and palates.
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We have been going to the Mill for a number of years and always enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and good food. However, our last visit was a total disappointment. When I phoned to book a table there was no answer. When the phone was eventually answered the girl told me she was too busy to take my call. When I offered my number so she could phone me back she told me that if she had had time to take it then she would have had time to take my booking! Talk about attitude!
When we did have our meal (a birthday treat) the service was slow, which made the meal stressful as we had our children with us, and very average. A pudding that was listed as being accompanied by a tuile came with a digestive biscuit!
Come on, the mill @ rode, you have a stunning location and once had a loyal clientele. You're going to have to work much harder to win this reviewer back. A lick of paint in the restaurant wouldn't go amiss either, the interior is looking tired and was covered in cobwebs...

Hannah L, Manager at The Mill at Rode, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you for your review.

It was with great disappointment we received your review of The Mill. I apologies you felt the staff member to be rude on the phone. Whilst we attempt to answer the phone at all times, during busier times we sometimes (rarely) ask customers to give us a call back when we can give you more of our time rather than rush your phone call or miss vital details. However this should not have been done with any kind of attitude nor curtness, for this I can only apologise.

I have spoken to the chef reference the wrong biscuit with your creme brulee, unfortunately we had used all of our lang du chat biscuits and making them during service was not an option. You should have been told at the time of ordering, i'm sorry you were not informed.

Service can be slower during busier times, we serve all of our food from fresh and when the restaurant is busy the kitchen can take a little longer to produce the food, we do explain this on our menu and also have a board by the till if the wait exceeds 30 minutes.

With all this said, I very sorry you did not enjoy your latest experience at The Mill, we are keen to address all problems you have highlighted, and would be thrilled if you would give us another chance.

Many Thanks

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We were welcomed by a very attentive waitress, who was not fazed by a request from one of us who wished to deviate slightly from the advertised menu. The outside seating was indeed by the original mill on the River Frome and looked delightful. As it was a tad chilly we settled for inside which was bright, airy, spacious yet very tastefully decorated in the old style of the building. The food was delicious and with healthy portions washed down with some good wine. We've been before and will definitely return.

Thank you for your review.

We were very charmed by your review, thank you for your kind words and we are thrilled you enjoyed your trip to The Mill.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon

Best Wishes

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We have been many times over the last few months and have recommended to many of our campers. Love going as their burgers are scrummy, good choice of menu and nice specials boards which keeps the variety. Great place, kid friendly with a good play room upstairs on the rainy days and large play area outside. Nice atmosphere, helpful staff with good service, you really don't want for anything more. I will be recommending to many more campers we have and will be there again soon ourselves.

Thank you for your review.

So pleased you enjoyed your trip to The Mill and we are thankful for your advertising to other campers!

Look forward to welcoming you to The Mill again soon

Many Thanks

Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Some friends and I ate here last night, and the food was absolutely delicious. Unfortunately, the waiting staff let the evening down somewhat.

We were left with a half cleared table whilst one of the staff took a personal phone call whilst sauntering off from the table, never to return.

When the table was eventually cleared a good 30 minutes later, we were advised the kitchen staff had just left the kitchen and if we wanted dessert we would have to choose quickly as she'd had to beg them to go back in.

I had to approach the bar twice as the staff were congregated at that end of the restaurant and paying no attention to their customers. Once for new drinks, and finally for the bill.

The staff weren't rude, they just appeared to have better things to do, and we were left feeling as if we were an inconvenience.

The food itself was sublime, and if you are happy to put up with lackadaisical service, it might be worth a visit.

Thank you for your review.

I was very displeased to read your review. Our staff have received thorough staff training and are fully aware of the service they should be giving.

I can offer no excuses nor explanation. I have planned a staff meeting for this week to address any customer service issues.

I can only give you my humble apology for the terrible service you received at the hands of our staff. Please be assured these comments will be addressed promptly.

If you would be kind enough to email me on mill@butcombe,com, I would very much like to have your details to apologise further.

We look forward to hearing from you soon, and we hope you decide to give The Mill another chance.

Kindest Regards

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We had a warm welcome, ordered some drinks and were shown to our table. Our starters were tasty and well presented. Our mains came - my b/f's meal looked and tasted good but my rib eye steak and chips were disappointing - anaemic chips, a mountain of salad leaves, and a steak that was cooked as I'd asked but was lacking in quality. No-one checked how our meals were, we were left waiting twenty minutes for the pudding menu and in the end gave up and requested the bill. The waiting staff appeared rather disinterested at this point. I wouldn't say the food was bad but charging gastro prices for just OK food is a bit cheeky. I would suggest reviewing your suppliers, spot checking covers going out from the kitchen and teaching your staff what customer service means. I'll stick with The Inn at Freshford for special occasions thank you.

Thank you for your review.

I apologise you were dissatisfied with your meals. The Rib eye steak is outlined on the menu with mixed leaves and french fries, had you wished to have alternative side dishes we would have arranged this for you.

We did have a quality issue with some steaks last month, this has now been addressed with our butcher and the great quality has now returned. I can only assume this was the case with your meal, please email me on mill@butcombe.com and I will arrange for your meal to be refunded, or alternatively we would love for you to visit again and we will honour you with a complimentary steak to apologise further.

Service levels evidently need some attention and pleased be assured these issues are being addressed at the moment.

Look forward to hearing from you

Kindest Regards