“Lovely setting and great food”
Review of The Mill at Rode

The Mill at Rode
Ranked #28 of 103 Restaurants in Frome
Cuisines: Barbecue, Contemporary, British, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Description: The Mill at Rode is a quintessential English inn, set on a stunning riverside site, surrounded by beautiful gardens and with a fabulous deck area overlooking the water. The Mill has some interesting history connecting it to royalty, come down and enquire..! Now in 2018 The Mill is privately owned & run by John and Amanda Burgl in partnership with The Dog and Fox Inn. This has returned it to its position as a community hub and watering hole for walkers/ adventurers on the banks of The Frome as well as anyone else that wants a pint or some really rather good grub.
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I went to the Mill on Friday 26th July. We booked online and had a very quick reply from the manager Hannah.

The setting is lovely right by the river and the Old Mill that forms the basis of the pub is decked out well with very good outside space with sofas and plenty of tables.

Service was good, they did warn us food was a 45 minute wait but it only took about half an hour.

I had the mussels for starter and there were plenty of them with some lovely crusty bread. My wife had the pate which she said was great.

For mains my wife had the vegetable tart which looked amazing and she said was well seasoned and very nice. I had the special of stuffed chicken breast. It was perfectly cooked and was so big I couldn't quite finish it.

Service from both the waiting staff and bar staff was swift and polite. I would recommend visits if you are in the area.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Just had dinner at the Mill and have to say both service and food was extremely good. Very busy which is always a good sign. Cost reasonable £72 for 3 including drinks. Portions were on the large size and we all would have been happy with slightly smaller amounts. But overall it was very enjoyable with pleasant friendly staff and good service.

Noticed one or two negative reports on the website here but maybe they were before there had been a change of managership/ownership. Anyway would be happy to recommend now.

1  Thank Peter P
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Went there on a busy Sunday evening. Had the shoulder of lamb absolutely perfectly cooked along with a great selection of seasonal veg. Service was a little overlong which might have upset some people but it was busy and staff were working as quickly as possible. There is a lovely little park for small children and the setting is lovely.Highly recommended!

1  Thank grouchob
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Went for lunch on quiet day.Lager fine , service ok , but avoid "Mill platter for 2/3" £14.00 for some meat and lettuce that wouldnt be enough for one person , let alone more.Not worth the money

Hannah L, Manager at The Mill at Rode, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Thank you for your comments, however I'm struggling to believe you can say this platter is for one? Meat and lettuce?

The mill platter contains a selection of 4 (2 slices of each) cured meats, dressed leaves, roasted red peppers, roasted artichokes, olives, caper berries. Goats cheese, flat breads and tomato chutney.

Apologies you found this not sufficient, it's served as a sharer whilst waiting for your meals and not intended to feed 2/3 as a main course. We have received nothing but high appraisal for this dish.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Our family of 8 had booked a table for 6.30pm. Arrived at 6.20, waited at the bar for just over 10 mins to get shown to our table ... which only had 7 chairs. Another one brought over. Flowers on the table a nice touch, until we saw how mouldy the water looked! Side plates were dirty. Waited 30 mins for our bread and olives - for some reason they brought our main courses about 3 mins after this starter!
Food ok but overpriced - you're paying for the lovely location.
Waited 15 mins to be given dessert menu after asking to see it. Waited another 15 mins after receiving menus for someone to take our order. No-one ever came so decided to leave.
This was supposed to be a special meal to celebrate two birthdays - we were disgusted by the poor service and won't return.
The manageress initially just gave us a list of excuses but did give us a generous discount by way of an apology. She implored us to give them another chance, saying "it's not normally like this".
From reading other reviews it seems it is normally like this!
Lovely setting, awful service.

Thank you for your comments.

I was quite shocked to read your review as I believed I have apologied profusely for your misfortune during your visit and as you mention as substantial discount as way of a further apology. I did not offer you a 'list of excuses', I explained why you had not received the best of our service on that particular evening. Our till systems and Internet had gone down therefore making all the staffs jobs that bit harder and challenging thus creating a delay. I'm quite offended my apology was taken in vein.

I apologise you found the Mill to be expensive, intense research goes into planning our menu, costing all out dishes as keenly as we can. Homemade locally sourced food does come with a higher price tag than pre cooked frozen meals you may find at cheaper establishments. However we believe in serving good quality food, that is repsonsibily sourced and traceable.

I am sorry we did not meet your expectations during your visit, especially as you said it was a special occasion. My personal apology during your visit was genuine and the truth. We now have all tills repaired and Internet back up and running.