“platter price”
Review of The Mill at Rode

The Mill at Rode
Ranked #27 of 98 Restaurants in Frome
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Scenic view, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Mill at Rode is a quintessential English inn, set on a stunning riverside site, surrounded by beautiful gardens and with a fabulous deck area overlooking the water. This former woollen mill is one of the few surviving that once put Rode on the map as a key trading centre and market town on the Somerset and Wiltshire border. The Mill was part of a consortium that won a competition to make a dress for Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III, and invented a dye colour Royal Blue.. The Mill is now part of the Butcombe Brewery group of pubs and through sensitive restoration still connects with its industrial past, including the historic waterwheel. The pub has recently undergone a big refurbishment and the result is a carefully crafted modern, contemporary environment that is ideal for meeting friends, enjoying family time, or celebrating major events, with private dining facilities for up to 60 guests. Renowned for its great fresh locally sourced food and convivial atmosphere, the Mill at Rode is a perfect location for all occasions. There is plenty of parking and outside the chance to try your hand at some typical English pub games such as Giant Jenga and croquet so it is ideal for enjoying the lovely natural setting on the River Frome. Close to Bath, the Mill is a mecca for locals and visitors alike who are looking for a relaxing time. The Mill chefs pride themselves on using only the best ingredients, with as many as possible being supplied locally. On the menu are some classic British dishes such as sausage and mash with onion gravy to hearty international favourites such as dry rubbed pork ribs. And of course there is a fantastic selection of ales from Butcombe Brewery and a wide range of wines to suit all tastes and palates.
bournemouth
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“platter price”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Went for lunch on quiet day.Lager fine , service ok , but avoid "Mill platter for 2/3" £14.00 for some meat and lettuce that wouldnt be enough for one person , let alone more.Not worth the money

Hannah L, Manager at The Mill at Rode, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your comments, however I'm struggling to believe you can say this platter is for one? Meat and lettuce?

The mill platter contains a selection of 4 (2 slices of each) cured meats, dressed leaves, roasted red peppers, roasted artichokes, olives, caper berries. Goats cheese, flat breads and tomato chutney.

Apologies you found this not sufficient, it's served as a sharer whilst waiting for your meals and not intended to feed 2/3 as a main course. We have received nothing but high appraisal for this dish.

Bath, Somerset, UK
“Food ok, terrible service!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Our family of 8 had booked a table for 6.30pm. Arrived at 6.20, waited at the bar for just over 10 mins to get shown to our table ... which only had 7 chairs. Another one brought over. Flowers on the table a nice touch, until we saw how mouldy the water looked! Side plates were dirty. Waited 30 mins for our bread and olives - for some reason they brought our main courses about 3 mins after this starter!
Food ok but overpriced - you're paying for the lovely location.
Waited 15 mins to be given dessert menu after asking to see it. Waited another 15 mins after receiving menus for someone to take our order. No-one ever came so decided to leave.
This was supposed to be a special meal to celebrate two birthdays - we were disgusted by the poor service and won't return.
The manageress initially just gave us a list of excuses but did give us a generous discount by way of an apology. She implored us to give them another chance, saying "it's not normally like this".
From reading other reviews it seems it is normally like this!
Lovely setting, awful service.

Hannah L, Manager at The Mill at Rode, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your comments.

I was quite shocked to read your review as I believed I have apologied profusely for your misfortune during your visit and as you mention as substantial discount as way of a further apology. I did not offer you a 'list of excuses', I explained why you had not received the best of our service on that particular evening. Our till systems and Internet had gone down therefore making all the staffs jobs that bit harder and challenging thus creating a delay. I'm quite offended my apology was taken in vein.

I apologise you found the Mill to be expensive, intense research goes into planning our menu, costing all out dishes as keenly as we can. Homemade locally sourced food does come with a higher price tag than pre cooked frozen meals you may find at cheaper establishments. However we believe in serving good quality food, that is repsonsibily sourced and traceable.

I am sorry we did not meet your expectations during your visit, especially as you said it was a special occasion. My personal apology during your visit was genuine and the truth. We now have all tills repaired and Internet back up and running.
“Nice place, appalling service and customer care”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Turned up to the Mill as a recommendation from the owner of the B&B we are staying in. Thought it was highly priced but as it was my girlfriends birthday I thought we would push the boat out. Ordered a drink, a coke for me and a lemonade for my partner. The lemonade was disgusting, it tasted like soda water. Took it back and complained, said we would have another coke instead. They said they would bring it out. 10 mins went by, went back in to ask about the coke and they said they haven't had chance to change the lemonade yet. I said we didn't want lemonade, we had asked for a coke instead. I tried to place an order for food, to be told there was a 45 min wait. I then ordered for my partner and I, to be told that they had neither of our meals left. I asked to pay for the drinks and chose somewhere else. Paid for the drinks by card, to be told they have to charge a minimum of £10 for a card transaction. So charged me £10 and gave me the rest of my money in change! Was literally shaking with anger on leaving and it put a real downer on what should have been a lovely evening. Went to pizza hut in the end as it was very late in the day by the time they'd finished messing us around. Strongly advise never to visit!

• Visited July 2013
“A good job the sun was shinning!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I went out aiming to go for a pint and a bowl of chips. We arrived to the lovely setting of the Mill, and I was happy to see it was a Butcombe pub as I am fond of them. We saw that a bowl of chips was over priced so pushed the boat out for a main meal. Cheesy chips is a fraction cheaper than fish and chips, mussels and ham, egg and chips. Having cued for an age (I understand that there may be no service outside), the two things that I liked and that I deemed reasonably priced on the menu were no longer available. My boyfriend paid for his meal and two drinks as I didn't want to keep the other people in the cue waiting while I made my choice. Less than five minutes later I return to the bar with my order only to be told that they were not taking any more walk in orders. The poor lad behind the bar bit his lip as if to say 'you are not going to like what I have to say.' Luckily one waitress took pity on me and asked the chef if I could be an exception. I hasten to add she was the only server who smiled during the evening. We would have appreciated being told that there was going to be such a long wait for food, after an hour it came and I wasn't overly impressed with over cooked chips. While we were waiting the couple behind us had ordered two puddings, only one came. They also ordered a pint of cider - we laughed when it took twenty minutes to tell the lady they were changing the barrell and a further ten minutes to be brought out a pint of frothy beer. The lady confronted the waitress who's reply was "it came out of the black rat cider tap"!!!! We decided to give the puddings a go (we still had a little faith). The brûlée was delicious, but the chocolate fruit pudding was burnt. Such a shame! I was dismayed to see dirty plates piled on most tables and on the bar, there was broken glass in the path of customers that wasn't cleared up for a good ten minutes which is dreadful considering there was a party with young children in the building. I also think the Mill need to look at why their loos are incredibly smelly. When I went upstairs to see a beautifully laid table for a function - possibly a wedding, I cringed at the thought that their special day might have the same service as we received. We have a sense of humour and laughed off the experience. The reason why I've given this a score of 2 is because half of the food was okay, and like I said, it's a good job the sun was shining!!

Trowbridge, United Kingdom
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Recently came here for fathers day with my boyfriends family. As we were sitting down we were chatting and the waitress came to ask us what we wanted to drink. We hadn't looked at the menu yet so turned her away. We were exchanging fathers days gifts when the waitress came back again rather huffy asking us again, it was fathers day and we were paying to eat here surely we can take as long as we like?! We ordered drinks, the waitress returned slamming our drinks down without a word, we all looked at each other and my boyfriends dad commented on how rude she was. Not a great start. It was a sunday so 3 of us ordered roasts, our meat was delivered but we had to wait 10 mins for our veg, by that time our food was cold and they gave us one small dish of veg for 3 people! It wasn't even enough for 2! The beef was incredibly fatty and obviously had been kept warm for a long time, you expect a roast to come with pink beef! The decor inside looks initially really bright and modern, just don't look up. Lots of dirty cobwebs, you think they could dust a bit. We waited ages to order desserts because the waitresses were too busy stealing the flowers from yesterdays wedding. The prices on sundays are reasonable but would never pay those prices for that quality of food on another day!! Will not be returning!

• Visited June 2013
Hannah L, Manager at The Mill at Rode, responded to this review, July 17, 2013

I was disappointed to read you did not enjoy your lunch @ The Mill, for this I am truly sorry.

We are well known for our Sunday Roasts and and constantly praised on the quality and value of our Sunday offer. It appears we fell short of our usual high standards during your visit. We use Locally sourced Sirloin of Beef for our Sunday Roasts, this had a trim of fat along the top but shouldn't be 'very fatty', our meat is also roasted medium rare, I'm sorry you felt this over done. We serve a selection of four vegetables and cauliflower cheese with the roasts, along with roast potatoes and huge homemade Yorkshire puddings with every meat. Had you asked a member of the team would of happily got you some additional vegetables.

I cannot comment on the staff serving as unsure of who you were served by, however we take all feedback very seriously and will endeavour to improve any staffing issues that are brought to our attention. I have also had a word with our cleaning staff regarding cobwebs.

Unfortunately I cannot agree with you on value for money, with one course being £11.50, 2 course £15 & 3 courses £18.50, I believe this is a very good offer. We use locally sourced, high quality meats and as mentioned above all the trimmings, a second or third course is just an additional £3.50.

To finish, I'm extremely sorry you did not enjoy your visit, I hope you except this apology and if you do give us another try please make yourself known to myself as I would like to apologise in person.