“fantastic break away”
Review of The Lion Hotel

The Lion Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dulverton
The Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dulverton
London
“fantastic break away”
Reviewed March 18, 2010

I stayed at the Lion Hotel for a weekend break away with my Girlfriend. Being a vegan I was worried about what I would be able to eat in Somerset, however I was made to feel welcome, even having veggie sausages and soya milk in my cereal in the mornings.

The hotel itself was just what my girlfriend and I wanted for a break away in the country, located in a little town, with walks all around us and some fantastic little gift shops. The hotel room was nice and big, with a good size TV, with digital (although we didn't come away to watch TV) and an on suite bathroom (with a nice big bath!). The bed was very nice and we both slept well.

The staff were great, the food was good (made me a vegan meal). Ate near an open fire! Had a good laugh at the bar with the bar guy and locals. The only thing stressful about this break was the drive back into London on the M4. Highly recommend staying at this hotel, as we both had a great time.

We will be there soon again I hope, with another guest..our dog!
Thanks to the owners of the Hotel Lion.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Londoner003

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London
Reviewed March 18, 2010

I chose Dulverton and the Lion Hotel for a relaxing weekend break away from the hustle and bustle of London and I was not disapointed. The hotel was very welcoming with friendly staff, good accomodation and great atmosphere. The locals were also very friendly and I enjoyed chatting with them over some fabulous local ales.
Our room was very cosy, clean and comfortable and we got a great night sleep which meant when we woke up in the morning we were ready for a long walk in the stunning scenery in Exmoor national park, which was just what we needed.
I would also like to say that we ate at the hotel both nights and the meals were excellent with great choices and all local produce.
Overall me and my partner both felt completely revitalised from our stay and thorougly enjoyed the whole experience. I would defintely recommend the Lion Hotel for a weekend break or a weeks holiday and we will defintely be heading back there very soon.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Cornwall
Reviewed March 8, 2010

We were checked in for one night at reception by a rather scruffy young man in jeans and a hoodie. He also did a stint at the bar later on in the same attire.

We had a wander round the town which is looking very run down.

The Lion is an old fashioned hotel in need of much updating. The bedroom was a good size with adequate furniture. The voile curtains were grubby. The bathroom was also a good size but shabby.

The bar area has obviously had some updating, new carpets etc. We had some drinks and went to our room to watch TV and go to bed. The TV was a problem. Whatever system they use doesn't work. The screen freezes and breaks up. I asked for assistance three times and on the third occasion we were asked to leave the premises in what I can only describe as an unpleasant and threatening manner.

I am a senior citizen and have stayed in many hotels and pubs - some good some bad. I have never been treated in such a manner. I was apalled. If you are going to this area of Exmoor I recommend you avoid Dulverton and avoid The Lion Hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hawker_10

Travelers are raving about these Dulverton hotels

Doncaster, South Yorkshire
Reviewed February 17, 2010

I stayed at this hotel for a short break accompanying my husband who was in the area on business. We arrived around 4.30pm and the owner greeted us and got us checked in , she even offered to carry our bags upstairs. Although parking is limited on the street outside, she gave us a permit for the car park across the road which was very useful. The room was very spacious and had a bath which was very welcome after a day out in the cold February Exmoor weather. The bed linen and towels were clean and our towels were changed the next day even though we were only staying 2 nights. Tea/coffee facilities were in the room with local teas in the selection there were plenty of soaps/shampoos in the bathroom. The room was warm and cosy with lovely period furniture. A very comfortable bed, the only gripe I had (very minor) was that there seemed to be an extractor fan running somewhere all night which you could hear in the background at night as it was so quiet though it didnt keep us awake. We ate both evenings in the hotel, the food was excellent, I can heartily recommend the fish and chips but be warned it is huge! the nicest batter I have ever tasted. My husband had steak which he said was very good. Local real ale was on hand at the bar which was a bonus for us. The breakfasts were very good, freshly cooked full english on offer as well as the usual cereals and lighter options. We asked the hotel if we could book an early breakfast on our second day and they accommodated us happily. The hotel is ideally situated right in the heart of this lovely town an I can heartily recommend a stay in this wonderful part of the world.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
london
Reviewed December 1, 2009

although I have travelled around the west country and Devon a lot, Dulverton, was not a place that I had visited. I stay at the the lion hotel on there 3 for two deal and was very surprised how good value it was and not only that how nice a stay I had. we ate two of the three nights at the lion's restaurant which has lovely wooden tables and had a wonderful meal. the locals in the bar area were friendly and even helped us find where we needed to go. The room we stayed in was light, airy and nice and warm (which was good as the weather was not the best). The owners were very friendly and the staff were very good and welcoming. All together an enjoyable few days away and i would recommend to any one wanting a relaxing weekend away. P.s the steak is a must, from a local farm and extremely tasty.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed October 31, 2009

i had a lovely stay at the lion earlier this month with my wife. We stay for 3 night under a offer of 3 for the price of 2, which made the stay very reasonable indeed. eat there two of the night and had first class service by the friendly staff and the food was excellent, the steak in particular. the room weas clean and warm and welcoming and the young man behind the desk even took our bags upstairs for us. our room over looked the town, which is a lovely place on the edge of Exmoor. The building is old and charming but it did look as though the room had been freshly decorated. The breakfast was very nice and a good size which help me get through the long walks on the moors!
altogether a lovely stay which will be done again and for the price it was a remarkable place. two thumbs up.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
hampshire
Reviewed October 1, 2009

Perhaps a victim of the recession this hotel appears run down, in need of a coat of paint here and there, some new carpets and a good clean! Car parking is either on street (opposite - free) or a 1 hour maximum near the shops. The hotel can supply car park permits from the nearby pay car park but didn't have any during our visit. Food is good, breakfast freshly cooked.

Room was disappointing in as much that it was never properly cleaned, a mark on a mirror was there for our entire stay, no loo rolls in room upon arrival, bed not made on one occasion. Bought a bottle of bleach to clean sink overflows and shower tiles. Boiled out kettle with white vinegar as it was caked inside.

Most of staff were amiable but never tried too hard. Reasonably priced due to 3 nights for 2 deal.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HampshirePajero
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dulverton
Dunkery Beacon Hotel
#1 of 2 in Porlock
The Anchor Inn, Exebridge
The Anchor Inn, Exebridge
#6 of 17 in Dulverton

Been to The Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!