“Great Food, Warm Environment and Lovely Landlady”
Review of The Lion Hotel

The Lion Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dulverton
The Lion Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dulverton
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Have never stayed at this hotel but we have used this hotel for meals on about a dozen times in the last two years. We last used the hotel for Sunday lunch last week. As usual the steak and kidney pie was delicious. The vegetables and potatoes were fresh and beautifully cooked. The lovely landlady is always friendly and courteous as is the landlord when he emerges and isn't working in the kitchen. The restaurant is clean and inviting with a roaring log fire. The Lion is just what an old Exmoor Inn should be. We are glad we discovered it.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stopped for lunch in Dulverton on New Years Eve armed with a good food pub guide we ended up at the Lion because the recommended pubs were full. The Lion was empty apart from 1 drinker and 1 member of staff. The menus looked dated and we started to worry a bit. Worry not was the case! We were greeted with friendly banter and good ales. Had a nice table by a roaring fire and ordered the food. The food was delicious. The fish and chips were beautifully, freshly cooked with the cod tasting like it just come out of the sea. Mrs' dad fancied gravy with his Steak&Kidney pud when the meal arrived, its was done in not time and presented in a little gravy boat, nice touch. All very reasonably priced and we all came away very happy with are choices.
So if your like us and think your stuck Dulverton because your recommendation is full, don't be and head to the Lion Hotel for delicious pub grub!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We make an annual pilgrimage to Dulverton for Christmas shopping to get away from the awful mass produced tat found on the high street. We had not been to The Lion for a few years, but it was much the same as we knew - but with one great exception - lovely food! Admittedly, we only had a light lunch, but it was good value and nicely served. The rare roast beef was really rare and the smoked mackerel paté authentic and tasty. The log fire added a nice touch on a cold day. Friendly folk and good service makes this a worthwhile visit for food if you are in Dulverton.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2013

For the second time in three visits I have had to come from my room to complain about excessive noise from the bar of this hotel. on my recent visit I stayed with my elderly parents in their 80's and my 6 year old daughter and the noise was so loud in their rooms it was impossible to relax and sleep. When I got downstairs to complain I was faced with a man conducting a sing along from behind the bar and woman behind the hotel reception desk with a microphone singing at the top of her voice! This followed loud and abusive language from locals at the bar whilst having our evening meal.
The management clearly have to decide whether this is a hotel or a bar for the locals because clearly both don't go together. I have not received an apology on any occasion. Our evening meal was awful and cannot comment on breakfast as we were asked to leave before we finished it! On account of being rude to the owner when having the temerity to complain (again) apparently.
I have had the pleasure of staying at this hotel for 10 years plus but I'm afraid the current owners clearly have lost all sense of perspective about what a good hotel should be - and it seems from other's comments I'm not the only one who has complained about the noise. Sorry - never again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Exmoorfanatic
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was my 2nd visit to The Lion. The staff were warm, welcoming and friendly, My room was very clean and comfortable, although dated.(you must remember this place was built in 1822) Radiators were turned on at my request, and TV was replaced. One reviewer on here said breakfasts were awful!! This is just not true. The breakfasts were wonderful, well cooked and fresh with a good variety and excellent service. The Lion has character with olde worlde flloors that creak, oak beams and steep stairs with no lift. But, it's comforts are modernized to a good standard...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed recently at the lion Hotel in Dulverton. The room was a bit dated but spacious, bed was comfortable. The evening meal was home made and very tasty. My only fault here was the awful breakfast served. I didn't bother having breakfast on my last day as there are plenty of other places to eat.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I have just tried some of the new range of Pizza that the Lion are offering, they are good. I ate mine in the office and - as I was busy I didnt get time to eat them - they went cold. They still tasted good and the thin crust didnt go soggy.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dulverton
20 mi away
#2 of 5 in Lynmouth
Rock House Hotel
Rock House Hotel
#5 of 5 in Lynmouth

Been to The Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!