“Great surroundings”

Potting Shed Holidays
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Spent three nights here last weekend with husband and son. Used a Groupon voucher so good value for money.
Sleeps two adults and child comfortably in double bed, we did not realise there is a single sofa bed in living area.
Oil fired central heating keeps you warm, cottage has been renovated to a reasonably high standard.
There is a small tv and DVD player, hair dryer and iron and ironing board. Microwave and electric cooker, small freezer, washing machine. All useful things which I could not find out about on website.
The shower is electric, bring own toiletries of course but the kitchen does have a stock of essentials like condiments and tea bags etc. we carried all this down unnecessarily. Word of warning, the village does not have a shop of any description. You have to drive to local supermarket about mile and half to outskirts of Wells.
There seemed not to be any recycling facilities, but unfortunately as we were leaving we saw two green bins appear on lane, fill to brim so I am unsure if these are only for owners. Local supermarket took our bottles etc.
The local pub is pretty shabby and did not seem to open, in fact as villages go this one is not particularly pretty compared to so many we had pleasure of visiting.We also found the taxi company's to be very expensive, quote you £5 for a journey then charge £7.50 when you get out of cab, £15 for less than three mile round trip.
The garden is very pretty, the birds roam free, we found the setting very amenable, local to many attractions.
The owners are on site but leave you to your own devices.
I would visit this area again and certainly if you like self catering this is ideal.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Drucherry

Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a 3 night break at The Potting Shed. The cottage is extremely clean and the owners have thought of everything. It is small and quaint - just perfect for the two of us who were looking for a romantic break without the children. I would recommend a visit if you are after peace and quiet!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rhiannon E
Reviewed August 29, 2011

My boyfriend and I spent the August bank holiday weekend in the Middle Earth cottage and it was great. The cottage was adorable, filled with lots of knick-nacks and had all the necessities for a weekend away-a fridge, hob, silveware, etc. We didn't take advantage of the hot tub, but I enjoyed seeing the geese, peacocks and chickens wandering around the property. We were looking to get out of London for a long weekend and it was perfect.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jaclynmck
Reviewed November 4, 2010

We stayed in the potting shed cottage that was quite charming. Had own kitchen, living room and a pleasant bedroom area. Feels like your own country cottage. Has outside patio with tables and chairs.
You share the large garden with the owners and residents in the other 2 cottages, but plenty of space.
The main attraction is the profusion of birdlife that lives around you, including chickens, guinee fowl, doves, peacocks and a turkey.. If you are looking for a bit of peace and serenity, then this is the place. Off the main road but a short drive to Wells and Glastonbury. We stopped for 3 days but could have stopped a week. Had a look at the middle earth accomodation and would give that a try.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patbaz
A TripAdvisor Member
Surrey,BC Canada
Reviewed April 20, 2004

When I found out that Avalon from reading "the mists of Avalon" was a real place called Glastonbury I just had to go and made plans right away.. Everything fell into place right away.. I stayed in Coxley at the Potting Shed cottages.. Extremely wonderful people they made this a home away from home for me and my son. I wouldnt stay anywhere else if I went back. It was so serene. Glastonbury was 4 miles away. I couldnt wait to get to the top of the tor and the two weeks I was there it was magical on how you can sit at that tor and look around at the Holy thorn at wearyall hill and down towards chalice hill and imagine what it was like in a more medieval time. This experience has stayed with me for a long time, and I hope to be able to do so again.. The people are very friendly especially when they heard my son who didnt keep his mouth closed much, it would intrigue people to talk to us because of his accent. It was simple to get around.. No time at all to get a guide and then it turns out the wonderful couple that owned the cottage were extremely nice to show us more since we didnt have a car. This made our trip much more affordable. The chalice well was such a peaceful place to sit and meditate and think of how well this place has been taken care of for so many years, along with the abbey grounds which is so full of culture. If Arthur and Guinevere intrigue you.. This is a place to go that has the magic! The people that live there are so blessed, I wish I was one of them. But the owners of the cottages wouldnt adopt me. :) Much different of an experience that we wouldnt get here at home. Just loved it!

• Stayed: September 2003
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Potting Shed Holidays? Share your experiences!