“Lovely restaurant”

Ranked #3 of 59 Restaurants in Clevedon
Cuisines: Chinese, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: We are a privately owned restaurant operating since 1992. Junior Poon never been about stars, glitz or gimmicks. It's about the simple old fashion traditional qualities that really matters most to their guests - serving well cooked exquisite classic food with care and attention. It is a venue for people who appreciate fine food, good old fashion friendly service in a stylish yet informal and comfortable elegant surrounding at an affordable price.
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I visited Junior Poon's with my Mum on Sunday - my first time but she is quite a regular customer. The food was really delicious, with all the usual menu items that you'd expect, but with some more unusual things too, like chicken in an orange liqueur sauce - so tasty! We were warmly welcomed and beautifully served. Junior Poon has a great team and he was also chatting with customers and making everything very enjoyable. We felt we were honoured guests and not just customers. I was particularly impressed that Gluten Free dishes were clearly marked on the menu, and there was an option for other dishes to be made Gluten Free as well. If only all restaurants understood how important this is! I have called restaurants and enquired which of their dishes is Gluten Free and they haven't even understood the question! Who would risk going to a restaurant when you can't be sure that the food won't make you ill? No such worries at Junior Poon's - eating there was a real treat and it certainly won't be the last time I visit.

1  Thank Helen G
There are newer reviews for Junior Poon

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I am absolutely passionate about food and have eaten in at least a couple of thousand restaurants in twenty-four countries including Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and various countries in South East Asia which have exceptional Chinese restaurants, from small, local family run eateries in out of the way villages to many high class restaurants, some being among the most expensive in their respective countries. I *LOVE* Chinese food!

Like many people, I find that most places are so-so to reasonably good (surprisingly, even those that are frequented by the rich and famous), some are awful and I can safely say that there are only a handful that I would say are exceptional. I don't tend to write reviews because most aren't worth the effort and often it's a case of meeting nice people who run these places, but the food really is very average, so it feels mean to write anything about their establishments.

Considering how much I travel, I have to say I was astounded earlier this year when I stumbled across Junior Poon's restaurant which is only half an hour from where I live. It is now my all time favourite restaurant and I wish I'd discovered them years ago.

Junior Poon's is a very well established Chinese restaurant in the lovely small town of Clevedon, North Somerset, UK. It is set in the quaint old part of the town, just a one minute drive or a short walk away from the famous old Pier. If you love sunsets, it's well worth timing your visit to see it before or after dining.

The menu is medium sized (I'm comparing with some restaurants in London's China Town have literally hundreds of items on their menus), but it is definitely not so small that you don't have any choice. It actually has surprising amounts of variety, and in addition to the mouth watering selections that you might expect to see, there are also unusual dishes available for vegetarians and diners who have special dietary requirements. Even then, they will go out of their way to change the contents of the dish to suit special diets without compromising on the quality and experience of the food. The food itself is addictive, delicious, well presented and in served in decent sized portions. Quite frankly I wish I could eat there more often or have them transport themselves to every country I go to!

As one would expect from a restaurant of Junior Poon's calibre, the restaurant itself is very clean, cosy and well presented, and the staff are exceptionally attentive, taking Mr Poon's lead as he goes out of his way to make sure that the whole experience exceeds the varying expectations of new and loyal customers alike, from the privacy needed by an intimate couple having a romantic meal, to Mr Poon engaging in lively discussions with talkative groups of people having a great night out.

Having seen reviews here about cost, I have to say that the prices are on par with most restaurants in this class if restaurant, and actually, considering the calibre of Junior Poon's restaurant, their food, fantastic staff and exceptional management, I would say that the prices are lower than their equivalent class locally. Try finding a so-called equivalent restaurant in any major city in the EU and the prices will be considerably more. If you go to Geneva, for example, you'd better take out a bank loan just to pay for reasonably decent restaurant meals!

Junior Poon's restaurant is a hidden Gem and one that is well worth making the journey for. Go on, check it out if you are in the area. You won't regret it. While you are there, definitely pop down to the Pier, it's another beautiful jewel in Somerset's Crown.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I took my mum on Friday night as we had been away and I didn't feel like cooking! We were very lucky to get a table as it was very busy. Unfortunately the only table available was upstairs and the atmoshphere is seriously lacking up there but the food was good and the service, as always was excellent.

1  Thank BevA100
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We regularly visit Junior Poon and are never disappointed. The food and service are always exceptional. Nothing is ever too much trouble. We have taken many of our friends to the restaurant and every time they come back, the question is always 'can we go back to that lovely restaurant?' Junior is the perfect host!

Reviewed June 12, 2013

lovely restaurant, very clean. more Chinese than most, meal delicious, staff delightful, owner a lovely man, very friendly. get in before 7pm, and you get a special price. will certainly be returning.