“Good but pricey, it's Clevedon not Knightsbridge”
Review of Junior Poon

Junior Poon
Ranked #3 of 58 Restaurants in Clevedon
Cuisines: Chinese, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: We are a privately owned restaurant operating since 1992. Junior Poon never been about stars, glitz or gimmicks. It's about the simple old fashion traditional qualities that really matters most to their guests - serving well cooked exquisite classic food with care and attention. It is a venue for people who appreciate fine food, good old fashion friendly service in a stylish yet informal and comfortable elegant surrounding at an affordable price.
South West England
“Good but pricey, it's Clevedon not Knightsbridge”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

It's a large restaurant over 3 floors. We went as a party of 4 on a Saturday evening. It was full and as a result service was slow although still acceptable. The food was of a good standard although on the expensive side.
The surroundings / decor were good although not stunning so better value in the area is probably available.

Junior P, Owner at Junior Poon, responded to this review, August 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review us. I am pleased to hear that you find the quality of our food is of high standard.

With regards to pricing, I would like to think that we are value for money. Dining out is a 'whole package' experience. We provide linen service throughout and never ever rush our customers. We always give break in between courses unless advised otherwise by the customers. When a table is booked, it's yours for the whole evening. It's almost impossible to compare, unless it's like for like. We all know the cost of good quality ingredients are these days. We only know what we use and would certainly not compromise our reputation which we have worked very hard for over 20 years by using cheaper lesser quality ingredients. Hence we get a lot of regulars travelling from far and wide to dine with us.

Thank you again for taking your time to write as any constructive criticism is most welcome giving us the opportunity to improve where we may be lacked. We hope to see you again and look forward to your next visit.

Congresbury, United Kingdom
“Awful”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I visted this place with my friend on a lunchtime
First impression was not good as carpet was in desperate need of cleaning
The restaurant was cold and we had to wait for people to move from the window in order to move and sit near a warm radiator.
We went for the ribs and beef and ginger
We shared the ribs when they arrived at the table there were just two they were cold and fatty !
The main course was awful chewy beef and very tasteless.
Therefore I will not be visiting there again.

2 Thank Taylor014-74
Junior P, Owner at Junior Poon, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
I remembered clearly the day you both (two ladies) were having lunch in our restaurant. One of you had the 1-Course £5.95 Lunch Special and the other had the 2-Course £8.95 Lunch Special. The Spare Rib starter was for one but you chose to share between you two which was not an issue for us. Because you complained about your beef, I decided to refund you the £5.95 even though your companion has finished off your beef which you forgot to mention on your review. My staff was wondering why I refunded the £5.95 especially there were nothing left behind. For me, rightly or wrongly after more than 20 years in Junior Poons, I have learnt that it's easier to refund £5.95 than to spoil my day hence saving an 'argument'. My staff and I have always work hard and aim to please all our customers. We always try harder. I am sorry that you did not 'enjoy' your lunch with us.
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
“Lunch time”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Visited Junior Poon for a lunchtime special. Barbecue ribs were cold and fatty. Sliced beef, spring onions and ginger; the beef was really hard to chew and ended up leaving most of mine. All the meal was very bland. Would not go there again. Plus it was cold in the restaurant apart from by the radiator. One lady was sat in her coat eating! However beautifully white table cloths, but the décor is a bit dowdy.

1 Thank Law1_13
Junior P, Owner at Junior Poon, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
I remembered clearly the day you both (two ladies) came in for lunch. One of you had the 1-Course £5.95 Lunch Special and the other had the 2-Course £8.95 Lunch Special. The starter was Barbecued Spare Ribs for one person but you both decided to share for two which is not a problem with us. I have decided to refund you the £5.95 when you complained about the beef even though your companion has eaten yours as well which you forgot to mention on your review. My staff were wondering why I refunded the £5.95 especially the plates were clean when they clear the dishes. Rightly or wrongly, after doing what I do for more than 20 years, I find that it's easier to do just that than to 'spoil' my day. My staff and I will always do our very best to please all our customers and will continue to do so to provide the best all our customers deserve.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Lunchtime Special”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My daughter and I opted for a lunchtime special at Junior Poons this week. What fantastic value for money! 2 starters, 2 mains, rice and noodles and drinks - all for less than £25 - an absolute bargain. The service as ever was impeccable and we didn't have to wait for anything and Junior always meets and greets his guests and makes them feel welcome. Wonderful relaxing lunch experience

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Year of the Snake”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We're regulars at Junior Poon. Junior and his staff are extremely friendly and helpful and it's always nice to be welcomed like old friends. The interior is warm and cozy and feels tucked away from the busy Hill Road.

We usually order one of the set menus and a bottle of wine and it's a great place to take your time over a meal and just enjoy the ambiance. It's also one of our favourite spots for a romantic night out. We had never been for Chinese New Year so we decided to go this year. They had a special set menu for the occasion and every guest was given a Chinese zodiac. We felt like guests at a party the whole night and all the special dishes were delicious. Not ones we normally would have chosen, so it was fun to be left in their hands for the night.

The wine is always reliable (our favourite is the Turkish Delight-flavoured Gewurtztraminer) and the staff is extremely accommodating when it comes to changing/altering dishes to suit personal tastes.

Always a delight and deserving of all its praise!

• Visited February 2013