“Friendly and welcoming Guest House”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clevedon
Cavell House Bed And Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 8 Clevedon B&B and Inns
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Friendly and welcoming Guest House”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I was greeted by one of the owners with a welcoming smile, shown into an atmosheric dining room which has charming old world style, there is a free Continental breakfast provided with the room and a full English breakfast available for an extra fee of £6. I tried the full English and it was everything you would hope for. The room was clean with white sheets; the mattress comfortable, the en-suite bathroom clean and tidy, in short nothing to disappoint. I understand from some reviews that there have been problems in the past but on my visit I found nothing wanting, whatever difficulties there have been appeared to have been resolved. I met the manager (Mr David Hamnett) David mentioned that a new boiler has been installed, certainly I was lovely and warm whilst there in October.
Overall I felt welcomed and would deffinately visit again.

Room Tip: Worth asking for room 1a - had a peek and it looks amazing!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Uppingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We booked in advance and then read the comments and I was worried.
We stayed for 3 nights in a double room, whilst 2 friends had single rooms. Our room was clean, bright, large and cool; perfect for a hot summer night. The bathroom was excellent and obviously newly done. The power shower was the best I've had in a long time. The towels were large and fluffy, so improvements are being made. Lack of any soap is an issue if not forwarned.
The breakfast was a bonding experience with the other guests, providing you have patience and a sense of humour this is priceless and certainly had us chuckling all day as well as giving us endless dinner party stories.
We will stay there again. Excentric yes, but that only added to our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mommawig
Somerset
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We booked this B and B six months ago so that we could attend a wedding in the locality.
The room was dated and poorly decorated, the towels were of poor quality. We were given no details regarding breakfast and leaving times. On presenting for breakfast at 09.45 we were told by two pensioners who appear to be employees that there was no breakfast available and the only option was to help ourselves to tea and toast. This was offered to us in a brusque manner, oh and by the way you have to vacate your room by 10.30 am !

Unhappy customer

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andy52009

Travelers are raving about these Clevedon hotels

Central England
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I am sitting at my computer trying hard to be fair to Cavell House. I paid for a single room and breakfast and I got both. The elderly lady who met us was nice and David helpful. So what is my problem!

Cavell House is a beautiful building that has definately seen better days. The large car park and garden at the front is so drab that my first thought was that the place was closed. As you enter a dull hall and look to Reception your eye is drawn to the large notice requesting 'Payment' on arrival. My single room was downstairs in the bowels of the building. I describe it as a large cell with en-suite. Oh and a TV that I defy anyone to master in less than 5 minutes. The shower was powerful and I was supplied with a small and slighly less small towel, together with a tiny bar of soap. The sink was in the correct place but the mirror, normally behind it (needed for a wet shaver) was in fact behind me on the wall. In front of me was a clear glass shelve just at the right height for me to strike my head on as I bent forward to was my face. Tea and coffee making was evident but I did not use them.

Breakfast was Continental unless you wished to pay extra. The owner should seriously consider putting up the room price a tad and offering proper English Bed and Breakfast. The full breakfasts my friends had were excellent but hardly worth an extra £6.

To be fair there is a lot of building activity going on out back. Not sure exactly what. My advice is to start at the front and make first impressions better.

I stayed with three other near 'senior citizens' on a cycle trip. One of my friends had a large front bedroom that had the biggest TV I have ever seen in a B & B. Perhaps the place has its priorities askew.

So to conclude. If you want a place to lay your head Cavell House provides that. If you want a day or so in Clevedon as a Holiday Break - refrain from Cavell House until they have sorted out their priorities and upgraded the place.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Whitehall
Chichester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I find some of the reviews on here a bit harsh! Clearly some things are in process, during the change over in management and are gradually being upgraded, but we have always found the family that run Cavell House to be very friendly and helpful. As my wife is unable to cope with flights of stairs, they have always been happy to upgrade us to the large, ensuite ground floor double room, (complete with it's enormous TV screen!)

It's very convenient for us to stay here during our regular visits to my mother in law (her place doesn't have the space), but it's also very handy for short walks down to and along the sea front

There is always ample to eat for breakfast, with the option of full english if required

The owners also encourage us to take in the garden surroundings, with a great collection of Koi fish, in which they clearly take great delight

(In answer to "When did you travel?" I've put the date of our last stay, but as mentioned above, we have stayed here often over the past few years)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Robert N
Falmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Cavell House is a very splendid stay, I’ve been there quite a few times, and have always felt like one of the family, every time they have been helpful, and have always made me feel at home.

Bedrooms are clean and spacious, the breakfast facilities are good, I’ve enjoyed having plenty to choose from in the morning, with a good range of cereals on offer, bread/toast a selection of jams, coffee/tea and fruit juice, there was also fruit to enjoy for later in the day, there was plenty to fill me up for the day ahead.

It is a short walk to Clevedon Pier (around 6 mins), which is a special jewel in the town, the house is situated in the old part of the town, some of the buildings are really quite large and picturesque, shops are just down the road only a short walk (5 mins), and It’s also near to a few pubs, one in particular I really enjoyed was the Royal Oak pub which has a friendly atmosphere and good food.

For a warm and easy stay I would highly recommend this guest house.

Steven Feven-Parsons

Room Tip: I would highly recommend the en suite family room on the ground floor, this has recently been update...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank StevenFeven
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I am writing this almost 7 months after the event, but the worst aspects remain clear in my mind.

I have stayed in many B&Bs and guest houses over the years. A few, largely in remote locations where the owners have been doing their best in difficult trading conditions, have been of poor standard. I expected far better in a seaside town. I had pre-booked and arrived tired after a very long walk. I had my suspicions from the untidy appearance of the building's surroundings. A ring at the front door produced no response even though I could see someone (the owner's son, it turned out) in the front room. After I had knocked on the window the door opened. I was firstly (and rather unusually) instructed to pay the balance of my bill which, mercifully, was for just one night.

Eventually I was shown to my room. The shower head was hanging loose, partially taped to the hose and clearly did not function. The son expressed surprise and changed it with one from another room. That worked but I had to summon him again as the water would not drain away. Eventually he cleared whatever the obstruction was with a plunger while I looked on. How could anything like this be missed during routine cleaning?

The breakfast was described as "Continental" but seemed to be limited to cereal and toast. I have never stayed in a B&B/Guest House where I have had to find the milk and fruit juice in the fridge (in the dining room) myself. Everything had a feeling of neglect and dirtiness and some food was out of date (possibly retrieved from a freezer?). While I was eating, the assumed owners (mother and father) appeared but ignored me.

I loved Clevedon Pier and the weather was like mid-summer. But I was glad to flee from Cavell House. Don't think of staying here!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Tim F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clevedon
Best Western Walton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Easton-in-Gordano
Taggart House Bed & Breakfast
Taggart House Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 1 in Walton-in-Gordano

Been to Cavell House Bed And Breakfast? Share your experiences!