“Faulty Towers - but friendly staff”

Best Western Walton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clevedon
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Four of us stayed here the first weekend in January.
The exterior of the hotel makes it look very grand.
Once inside and checked in we realised that it was definately in need of some TLC!
The staff were very friendly throughout our stay & the rooms were clean - I do think they need a bit of modernising throughout the hotel - not to say they need to take away from its history but it needs some love!
The old lift was great fun although if someone on another floor forgets to close the gates after them then nobody else can call the lift.
Breakfast was pretty average and took quite a while to come out.
The beer pumps need cleaning as the beer smelt quite bad and was flat.
we would return to the hotel again - mainly because there is not much choice in clevedon - I just hope someone gives it the revamp it desperately needs to get it up to standard

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
LatonaLeisureGroup, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Walton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Dear amy_crocker

Thank you for your review. I was very pleased to read that you found the exterior aesthetic of our grand Victorian period property in keeping with the hotels historical heritage and that the dedicated team at the hotel were friendly and helpful throughout your stay.

Your feedback is most welcome and helps us continue our on-going commitment to our guests so that we may maintain and improve our standards and services. We are currently in the process of assessing the hotel for refurbishment which we feel will only add to the guest experience and make for a more comfortable and enjoyable stay.

Thank you for choosing the Walton Park Hotel, we do hope to welcome you back again soon and should you require a future reservation please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly and take advantage of our Best Rate Guarantee.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

The hotel is an old country house that has been converted. It has a fabulous antique lift still in use. The hotel has a wonderful view on one side that overlooks the Severn estuary. If you book make sure you request this view or you could get a room on the other side that overlooks the street.

Upon arrival the lobby was clean and quaint with smiling staff. The floors and stairs of the hotel are VERY creaky but this is to be expected with an old wooden floor. The appearance of the room was very "homey". I actually preferred this than the very contemporary designs some hotels go for. It felt like it could be your own bedroom. As we were there for a family event, we had several other rooms in use with our party and every single one of us made the same comment. It is way too dark in the rooms. We thought at first it was just because they used energy saving bulbs so we waited to see if they warmed up. If you are a female and want to put on make up, you will definately need to bring your own lamp. The lamp on the desk was no good either. These rooms are the darkest I have ever seen. The tv gave off more light than the ceiling light or desk lamp.

Had a meal in the restaraunt. Can't really fault it but didn't think it was anything special. It does the job if you just need to eat. The waiters in the restaraunt were smiley and friendly.

If we stayed here again we would have to bring our lamp but it definately has character!

Room Tip: Ask for the sea view!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Walton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear asdtm

Thank you for your review. I was very pleased to read that you found our period property in keeping with the wonderful and original Victorian architecture and we are indeed very lucky to be positioned on a Cliffside with magnificent views out across the estuary. I was also pleased to read that your guestroom met with your preferred expectations, except for the lighting.

I would like to assure you that I will be discussing your valued feedback and comments with the management team at the hotel and investigating the guestroom lighting.

I do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back again to our hotel and I can assure you that you would not need to bring your own lamp.

Thank you for choosing the Walton Park Hotel; if we can ever be of any help or assistance please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

I have stayed at the Walton for 55 years and even had my honeymoon there in 1983. We have stayed ther on and off with friends every year since. At new years eve 2013 we stayed for two nights with friends. A dissapointment was, a mattress, soiled, dirty and wripped left outside our bedrrom door propped up against the wall prior to it's removal after I asked for it to be removed. Standards slipping Walton!!!! Roome need a makeover now becoming rather tired. Mastic around bath and shower glass dirty and mouldy. Get a grip please. Rooms lovely and warm good food.

Room Tip: ask for a room with an estuary veiw, not under the restaurant or dance floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Walton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Frederic J

Thank you for your review. I was extremely pleased to read that you welcomed in the new year with us and that you have been a guest in the hotel for over 55 years, I think this may be a company record!

You feedback is very welcome and I will be sure to discuss your comments with the management team at the hotel so that we can maintain and improve our standards and services for you and all our future guests to enjoy.

Thank you for choosing the Walton Park Hotel, we certainly do look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Very welcoming staff within a hotel with good atmosphere. Great views across the Severn Estuary into Wales and nice garden area (when weather is good!) Large comfortable room but the wifi in the room was very variable.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank BrettSmith27
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Walton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Brett S

Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and found both the hotel and staff very welcoming. Your feedback is most welcome and I will ensure any glitches with the hotel’s complimentary WiFI are addressed and rectified immediately, thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Thank you for choosing the Walton Park Hotel, we do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Arrived on a very wet day to a warm welcome, rooms clean but tired. Our two granddaughters (15 and 12) had a sea facing twin room. Water hot, towels clean, everything they needed including wifi. We had a creaky four poster bed next door, ditto.
We could smell cooked food in the fitted wardrobes in our room.
comfortable night, warm ish rooms, sometimes too warm. Breakfast excellent, all you could want, well served and managed.

In its heyday this was a superb hotel ,a bit worn around the edges now though.

Room Tip: Ask for sea facing
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear NANNYTURTLE

Thank you for your review. I was very pleased to read that you and your granddaughters enjoyed your stay with us and found our hotel and dedicated team welcoming, friendly and helpful and that you took the opportunity to dine with us for breakfast and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

I must admit I was a little thrown by the title of your review as the TV hotel in question is more commonly used as a negative point; however I am very pleased that this was certainly not the case during your visit.

Thank you for choosing the Walton Park Hotel, we certainly do hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you all back again soon.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

My partner and I stayed for four nights, we arrived late evening and were tired from travelling, from the moment we got into our room it smelt of sewage. I rang down to reception to mention this and the lady seemed rather put out and said she would send someone up. A very nice chap arrived with can of air freshener, having sprayed it around our room he then disappeared. The smell still remained but we were too tired to make any more of it. No one during our stay took the time to see if the problem had got any better and when i mentioned again during our stay that the smell was still there and that the air freshener wasn't really dealing with the problem only temporarily masking it I was made to feel I was being rather difficult. I mentioned that obviously it wasn't ideal having to put up with the smell and that we might like to move rooms but this wasn't made to seem like a viable option.

During our first night there we were woken at 4.30am, as the guest in the opposite room was departing. The porter and guest seemed to think it necessary to engage in a lengthy discussion and there was an awful lot of banging and crashing. When I appeared at our door to check what was going on, and to see if someone had been knocking on our door I received no acknowledgement I was even there.

I thought the next day we might have been offered a small apology for our rude awakening however the reception lady was rather abrupt and commented that the offending guest was no longer there. I did say whilst mentioning what had happened that obviously guests arriving and departing was unavoidable and also that we appreciated that the hotel is old and therefore creaky but it would have been nice to have received an ounce of customer care.

Our room was anything less than spacious and there were cob webs on the main light shade. The lamp shade next to the bed was cracked and the appliances (kettle & hair dryer) looked very dated. I dropped something by the bed and when I moved the bedside table to get what I had dropped I was disappointed to find it was very dusty and grubby. This was the same on the skirting boards in the wc.

The water pressure with the shower was almost non existent and the glass shelf above the basin was cracked.

It was impossible to be able to watch the television whilst in bed as the television was on a very small stand and the bed was higher so the television was really rather obsolete.

On the positive the room was nice and warm and the chamber maid although maybe not as thorough as I would have liked seemed to straighten things out quite well.

I was a little puzzled by the fact that the two complimentary water bottles subsequently only got replenished with one, even though there were two of us, and there was only ever one mini pack of complimentary biscuits.

I can't help but wonder if perhaps we were a bit unlucky but its fair to say I wouldn't rush back again!

Room Tip: Try and avoid room 705 and the room below it as these rooms are apparently above the kitchens
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kinks3

Dear Kinks3

Thank you for your review. I would like to start by saying how surprised I was to read your comments regarding your recent visit to our hotel. As you can read from the many previous reviews our guests and visitors positively comment on the quality and service they receive when visiting our property. I can only sincerely apologise if your experience fell below expectation.

I was however pleased to read that you did encounter some of the high customer service that we pride ourselves on from our housekeeper and porter and also that you were very satisfied with the temperature of your guest room. I would also like to mention that any unwelcome odours have now been investigated and rectified to ensure a more comfortable stay.

I can assure you that your feedback will be discussed with the management of the hotel and any required action taken to ensure we maintain and improve our standards and services that many previous guests have positively commented on and reviewed.

I would just like to mention that I feel the heading of your review is a little unfair. I believe most if not all hoteliers will agree with me is saying that any reference to a TV show that ended over 30 years ago and is mostly quoted completely out of context should now be laid to rest and review platforms such as this should be used as they were originally intended, to give fellow travellers an honest, truthful and informed opinion of ones experiences, and also offer constructive comments after a guest departs so that the business in question can make any necessary improvements to ensure a more comfortable and enjoyable stay to all future guests.

We would very much like the opportunity to extend our hospitality to you once again in order that you can experience the level of customer service that we pride ourselves on, should you wish to make a future reservation please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly and we will be only too pleased to assist you with a reservation and I can ensure you of a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

Thank you for choosing the Walton Park Hotel, we truly do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back once again.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Paula who met me at the reception desk when I checked in was more then helpful, very friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable; which was a great welcome to the hotel.

The room was beautiful and really made my trip away.

Room Tip: if possible try and book a superior view with a sea view
1  Thank Lisa S
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Walton Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Lisa S

Thank you for your review. I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your time with us and that your guest room helped make for such an enjoyable stay.

I will be certain to pass on your comments to the management and staff at the hotel and especially Paula for her dedicated, friendly and welcoming service.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel, we do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clevedon
Travelodge Portishead
Best Western Limpley Stoke Hotel
Winford Manor
Winford Manor
#1 of 1 in Winford

Been to Best Western Walton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!