“Loved the lift”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Clevedon
worcester
“Loved the lift”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Booked online very quickly for the bargain price of £45 per night for the room only, on arrival we were warmly greeted and booked in and we were in our room in minutes on the 2nd floor with fabulous views across the Bristol channel. The room was very clean and comfortable however we noticed that the radiator was not working and the room was quite chilly, on informing reception they quickly brought us a fan heater unfortunately this blew within moment of being turned on, however within moments another heater was brought in to replace the first, however whilst the porter was in our room he checked the radiator and got that working and the room was soon as warm as toast.
The 2nd night we decided to have dinner in the hotel restaurant and enjoyed a very good dinner with top class service and finished with drinks in the bar.
My only whinge is when on checking the bill we had been charged for two breakfasts for the day we arrived, when we pointed this out it was quickly removed by the receptionist.
Overall we had a very good couple of days,the staff were all very welcoming and pleasant and would very happily return, finally would just like to say that the lift might look like it has come out of the dark ages but it was a joy to use,very quiet and smooth.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the staff very efficient, friendly and welcoming. I was also glad to read that you took the opportunity to dine in our restaurant for dinner and had an enjoyable experience.

Many guests comment on our lift and we feel it adds to the traditional and period charm of our 19th century cliff top building.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We arrived early as part of a group booking but did not expect to get the treatment we got. We were told we had a smoking room, and this was not was we expected. The assistant manager refused to move us into a non-smoking room, despite the fact that we had arrived earlier than many of the other guests. The staff was also very unhelpful with getting us another place to stay when we refused to stay in the smoking room. We had to go out into the rain and find another hotel to stay in at the last minute.

I was very angry at the rigid refusal of the staff to accommodate us.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay at this hotel, make sure you explicitly state a NON smoking room. The staff t...
1 Thank Crownpoint_G_Hill
Latona L, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for your recent review and for choosing the Walton Park Hotel for your groups booking. This is the first instance that I have ever encountered with anything less than shining comments regarding the staff, in almost all cases our guests cannot praise highly enough the friendliness, efficiency and customer care that our staff afford to all guests.

As you will be able to read from the many previous reviews, positive comments and thanks to the staff for providing excellent service are very common and I can only apologise that this was not the case during your visit. The hotel offers one smoking room so that we can accommodate any requests for this room type, I am extremely sorry that we could not offer you an alternative on this occasion. However after speaking to the hotel manager I have been informed that the receptionist on duty did call around local hotels and find you alternative accommodations, I do hope that the arrangements made on your behalf better met your requirements. I would like to assure you that we will complete a full investigation as a matter of urgency to enable us to maintain and improve our standards and services to ensure a more comfortable and enjoyable stay for all guests.

Should you require accommodation in the area at any point in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will be only too pleased to organise this on your behalf and assure you of a superior experience at any of our hotels.

Thank you for choosing a Latona Leisure Group hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Tibshelf, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We cannot speak highly enough of the Walton Park Hotel and its staff. We have just returned from a lovely weekend break in Clevedon, and we shall definitely be returning. From the moment we arrived every member of staff was helpful, smiling, always friendly and smart. We had a wonderful large room looking directly out to sea, and everything was clean and of high quality. The buffet breakfast is excellent and will satisfy all tastes and appetites. The hotel is in a spectacular location, it's a 10 minute walk to the seafront with its pier, and watch out for the crazy bunch who go swimming every day regardless of the temperatures. Hill Road has nice shops and restaurants. I have read what others have said about the need for some home improvements, and they may be true to a point but frankly I feel this is nit-picking. The overall experience of staying here is a hugely enjoyable one.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view
1 Thank Tim D
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that you will definitely be returning. We pride ourselves on our customer care and attention to detail and all staff members embrace our on-going commitment to exceed customer expectation, it is always good to read when we have helped make your stay more enjoyable.

Thank you for choosing the BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Otley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

We were recommended this hotel by a friend as my husband and I needed two days to chill after a round of family parties and a group holiday. First impressions are fabulous - the Victorian facade and the setting on the cliff are dramatic and, in the winter light, very gothic. As the other reviewers say, it is tatty and in desperate need of a facelift, but the view from our bedroom was inspiring, the bed huge and very comfortable and there was plenty of hot water. What really makes this hotel though, is the staff. They are amazing, cheerful, can't do enough to make your stay as good as it can be and restored my faith in human nature. Yes, the carpet may ripple and the windows need a clean but this is a hotel with a heart.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.. The bay windows make a dramatic vista across the Bristol channel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and found your bedroom very comfortable with a fantastic view across the estuary. Many of our guests comment on our friendly and efficient staff and we always pass on such feedback. The hotel is indeed a traditional property with many period features and we offer constant attention to ensure that we maintain the grandeur of the building and facilities.

Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

My daughter recently attended a wedding fayre at this hotel and came away very excited. She felt the staff and exhibitors had been the most helpful and friendly of all the venues that she has visited. I went back with her to look at the facilities myself and though I agreed that the place was in keeping the vintage style she has in mind, I was disappointed with the finish of some of the decor, namely badly wrinkled carpets through corridors and plastic flowers in windows. The windows themselves were in need of a good clean. The room we looked at smelt damp and felt cold and I have been told by guests who attended an October wedding that their bedroom was very cold. I saw a broken bench in the garden and some of the inside furniture looked a little tatty. However the atmosphere was lovely and with some improvements I think this could be a wonderful venue for a vintage style wedding. The bedrooms we were shown were very pretty indeed in a Victorian style and the member of staff I spoke to was very accommodating.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent review. I was glad to read that you found the hotel very accommodating and also very suitable for your daughter’s upcoming wedding. Our hotel is a very popular venue locally for functions and events of all types and we pride ourselves on the quality of service we provide.

The hotel is currently undergoing some renovation and refurbishment, as with all traditional properties with many period features we offer constant attention to ensure that we maintain the grandeur of the building and its unique facilities.

Thank you for considering the BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you soon.
Brecon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Perfect position: one side offers immediate access to the beach and cliff walks; the other side offers a gentle downhill walk to the promenade and town centre. Clevedon retains its essential Victorian character plus modern amenities. Excellent little shops in Hill Road esp. the Italian restaurant and delicatessen and the tailor. Our room, like all the public rooms, had superb views across the Bristol Channel. The staff went out of their way to be helpful, e.g. politely guiding us to a window seat when we sat down at first at the back. All sorts of food good, including a bar menu in a spacious area for those not having time for a set meal. Very good for special occasions; my mother had her 80th birthday dinner here many years ago; my son had part of his wedding reception here two years ago. Although it is now affiliated to the Best Western Group, the hotel is still independently run by the family who have owned it for many years; it has thus retained its essential character, while increasing the level of comfort. Worth going just to see the `ancient' lift still in good working order. We used to visit the Hotel for meals and family gatherings for years when we lived in Bristol; since we moved to mid-Wales 13 years ago, there is never any question about where we shall stay when we re-visit the Bristol area. Good bus service to Bristol: staying here avoids the stress of driving and parking in Bristol. Ample free parking in the grounds of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view, especially downstairs (rooms numbered in the 200's; totally quie...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Latona L, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. I was delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotels location ideal. We are always glad to welcome returning guests and to hear that our staff are as ever efficient, friendly and helpful. I have passed on your comments to all staff members that helped make your stay so enjoyable.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is an interesting hotel. Firstly it wouldn’t normally my choice of hotel, secondly the staff were all so pleasant friendly and welcoming I feel bad saying anything derogatory, however here’s my thoughts.
Staff: Fantastic, friendly & welcoming
Rooms: I had 2 different rooms, I hadn’t intended to stay for 2 nights.
My first night I was in 403, very nice just refurbished decor not my choice but fitting with the hotel and I have no complaints, great night’s sleep.
Second night room 501, again very nice room, great bed, however the room was incredible noisy, with what was perhaps slates but also banging pipes, which really is my only room complaint.
Bar: I had a great night, great staff and friendly guests & sore head
Breakfast: this is my only real complaint, it was poor, the food was over cooked, stored in hot plates and really not very nice, the fruit was OK, coffee was average, staff were friendly and welcoming and views great, but that wasn’t enough to tempt me back the next morning.
I will defiantly be back which is down to the staff and there fantastic attitude, breakfast does however need a complete rethink.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your recent review. I was glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our staff friendly and welcoming. I was also glad to read that you found the rooms spacious and accommodating and in keeping with our period property hotel. I have passed on your comments to the hotel general manager regarding any noise or disturbance you may have encountered and I have been assured that it has been investigated and rectified so that no future guest will be disturbed.

The bar and breakfast rooms offer great panoramic views across the estuary as do most public areas, and again I have passed on your comments regarding breakfast so that we can assess and improve where necessary. We value all guest feedback as to maintain and improve our standards and services to ensure a more enjoyable stay on your return.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clevedon
DoubleTree by Hilton Bristol South - Cadbury House
BEST WESTERN Limpley Stoke Hotel
Days Inn Bristol M5
Days Inn Bristol M5
#1 of 1 in Easton-in-Gordano

Been to BEST WESTERN Walton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!