“The Hidden Gem”

Mon Plaisir
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is a fabulous restaurant that we discovered whilst living in Clevedon, and whenever we are back in the UK we make sure to go back.
The food is absolutely superb, really first class, and there is always a great selection and variety. If they have the steak with pate on the specials, please do yourself a favour and try it!!
Also, the service is great, and you get the impression that everyone working there has a real pride in what they are doing and what they offer, and the pride is very well justified.
If you are in the area (and I would class this as anywhere in the Bristol area), then this gem is worth the trip.
Enjoy!!

There are newer reviews for Mon Plaisir

Reviewed December 6, 2012

Really excellent food and atmosphere - it's a small restaurant but I quite like that - have never been disappointed and their lamb is always great

Reviewed December 5, 2012

A place with a difference, Classy, French and family owned. Good food and service. Would certainly recommend this restaurant to anyone.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

We decided to visit Mon Plaisir earlier this week based upon the fact that it was rated No 1.
From the moment we entered the restaurant I was slightly puzzled as to why there had been so many rave reviews as the decor & general feel was tired & uninspiring.
We were served quite quickly for drinks & then placed our order for starters & mains. The starters arrived & my terrine whilst it tasted fine was definitely a parfait & not a terrine & was accompanied with a minimal amount of toasts with which to eat the 'terrine'.
We had all chosen a dish off the specials board - mine being the Fillet mignons with a mushroom sauce, salad & sautee potatoes. The mignons when they arrived were covered in a gloopy sauce, not one part of the meat was visible as the sauce covered almost most of the plate. The salad was a myriad of salad items chopped up into tiny pieces & put into a separate little dish sitting in the sauce. The sautee potatoes also arrived in a separate small dish on the table, these didn't look that fresh & had perhaps been fried in old/tired oil. I uncovered the mignons & cut into them to discover that the meat was far from fillet as it not only had strong veins of fat running through it but also had a piece of fat running around the outside leading me to believe that this was either sirloin or rump cut down. I managed about a 1/3rd of the dish before succumbing to the toughness of the meat &volume of sauce. Sadly my fellow diners suffered a similar fate with their dishes.
On a positive note the service was efficient & tentative but not even that was able to make up for the actual quality of the dishes.

8  Thank imbibers
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I visited on a weekday evening, taking advantage of the "chefs specials" select menu weekday offer, which has 2 courses for £14.95 or 3 for £17.95.

We shared a Camembert and onion marmalade starter (which was far too much for one person as a starter, so made an ideal sharer!).

For the mains I had pork belly, and my wife had sirloin steak. My pork belly was delicious, tender, very well presented and generous with portions. I had it with a small glass of the Rose wine, which accompanied it well. It was a little overlooked on the edges, but nothing to seriously complain about! My wife's medium-rare sirloin was apparently a little salty, and unevenly cooked with overcooked edges and a few areas which were definitely rare! But again, delicious, and both plates were emptied.

For dessert I had a lemon creme brûlée, which was a little bitter and very heavy on the cream, but otherwise a good finisher. My wife had chocolate fudge cake, which was definitely too heavy after a meal like that, and was average in taste.

We would definitely go back to sample some other things on the menu, the specials board looked very appetising, and the ala carte menu had items on there which looked worth deviating from the set cost plates for!