“A real peace of history”
Review of Blackmore Farm

Blackmore Farm
Croydon, United Kingdom
“A real peace of history”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We were taken back with the size of the accommodation on offer. Also how original the property has been keep. If you want total luxury this may not be for you, but if you want to look into the past and have breakfast on the longest refrectory table you've ever seen than this is about as good as it gets.
Great hosts but alas no ghosts.

Room Tip: The gallery and the 4 poster room are the ones to ask for, and are the same price.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Bridgwater, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Apon arriving at Blackmore Farm from the Malt Shovel Inn we were provided a normal room outside the house by the farm shop. After driving from Hampshire to Devon, Devon to Somerset i was overly tired and wanted to have a bath and relax with my partner before returning to Hampshire. Upon trying to run a bath, both times a gull bath of just the hot tap running provided with two freezing cold baths - infact the hot tap water was colder than the cold tap water. I went over to the main house to inform them of no hot water of which i received a response of - well the only thing we can do is flip a switch (something to do with the boiler), however the boiler was in a different room where 2 woman were staying, so only if they were awake would we be able to have hot water. Thankfully they were, whereby both my partner and i were informed it was sorted and should have hot water within 10mins. Half an hour later no hot water.. an hour later no hot water... by this time it was nearly 1am and i had given up all hope and went to sleep on the hardest matress ive ever slept on - quite honestly i think the foor would have provided more leway for my back!!! Didnt both going for breakfast in the morning and did not pay for our stay. The woman was not very professional in dealing with our complaint and all she could say was - well you could of come to the house for a shower... 1. i wanted a bath 2. i shouldnt have to go and have a wash in another building, hot water should be provided!!! 3. why werent we moved to another room, or it be made clear to us that there were no other rooms available 4. the room should have been checked before we got there especially if the boiler is in another occupied room... overall disgusted with this hotel !!! was looking with my partner at wedding receptions but i will NOT be returning !!!! Absolutely disgusting service!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Soraya B
UK
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Wow!! What a great experience. Had enormous room with the four poster bed and vast ensuite bathroom, then breakfast in medieval baronial hall. Lovely. There was one cobweb in the bedroom but I think it had been left to add to the atmosphere because everything else was spot on.

The medieval bit is pure theatre. Loved it.

I did leave the light on at night in case of ghosts!!! The building is grade 1 listed and so old it must have them.

Room Tip: West bedroom has the four poster bed
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had our Wedding reception at Blackmore farm in 2003, we could not fault the food and service then and we can honestly say it just seems to get better. We have returned several times for friends Anniversarys and birthdays, we are also booking again soon to suprise a family member for their 60th birthday. Its a beautiful place and has so much to offer wether your just passing through to pop in to the shop and tea room or staying overnight you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

I went to the bnb just yesterday and it was amazing! After reading what other people said I would like to inform them that it is super clean now so I guess they have changed cleaning person. The room was huge, I was in a small little house on the side, I arrived at night and I have to say I was impressed by the main building. the main dinning Hall was amazing I never actually seen such room since I got in the UK 7 years ago. It's worth every penny, the people who own it are very nice and breakfast is superb! The local
Pub malted shovel also offers great services. I recommend this place in case you want to experience a royal experience :)

• Stayed February 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for one night on the way down to Cornwall. I can only say that this was such a wonderful Surprise as I had no idea that he had booked this beautiful place.
It is full of character with the most wonderful open fire in the banquet dining hall where we had breakfast the next morning.
There is a charming farmhouse shop that sells local crafts and produce, or you can just have a good pot of tea if that's all you want.

Truly this is a little gem that we will be revisiting soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Truro
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Lovely one night stay. Arrived in wet windy weather to a warm welcome. 4 poster bed a bonus and had a cosy feel although a huge room. Ensuite great, hot water imediately and soft towels.
We ventured to the Malthouse just up the road not brilliant but good steak and chips. reasonably priced.
Back to watch tele in comfy chairs and warm room even in November. Breakfast was really good with log fire in Hall. If you don't like eating with other people its not for you as we sat at long refectory table with six others but everyone was friendly and enjoying the stay. I for one loved it.
The farm shop is really lovely lots to choose from and not too expensive. The working farm very interesting and ask Ian to look at the chapel really educational.
I hope it will remain just the same with the march of time.
Will be back for sure.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cannington
Apple Tree Hotel
#1 of 1 in Goathurst
The Old House
The Old House
#1 of 6 in Nether Stowey

Been to Blackmore Farm? Share your experiences!