“Golden Wedding Anniversary” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clavelshay Barn

Clavelshay Barn
Ranked #3 of 115 Restaurants in Bridgwater
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Totland, United Kingdom
“Golden Wedding Anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

On Saturday 23rd. March 2013 we Celebrated our Golden Wedding Anniversary with a Three-Course Dinner here. We invited 26 Guests plus, ourselves (due to Snow, one couple didn't make it from the North), so 26 of us sat down at 7.00 pm. and left around 9.45 pm. We had the upper dining area reserved for our party and our provided Table Plan was accurately followed - the tables had been beautifully laid-up, with white Table Cloths/Napkins together with the ordered Floral Table Centres, the whole effect was stunning, when we entered!!

The 'Special' Menu had been provided a month before with plenty of options for each course so, we all made our food selection and gave this to Chef. All our guests were delighted with their food and the amazing attentive service, no one was ever left with an empty glass, several voiced their compliments and one guest described the service as 'SEAMLESS'!!

Prior to the event, we were invited to a 'Wine-Tasting' where, nothing was too much trouble, having tried (& retried!) around a dozen suggestions, my wife decided that SHE would drive us home!

The Restaurant provided a Screen, that connected to a Computer so that our son was able to provide an amusing 'presentation', unbeknown to us beforehand - we thought that he was just going to say a few words before the Toast.

Another example of just how far this superb Restaurant excels is by providing an appropriate menu choice to please just one guest - a VEGAN! There was already Vegetarian choices for each course.

From our personal experience, we would thoroughly recommend Clavelshay Barn Restaurant, whether it be a cosy Dinner for two or, a 'once-in-a-lifetime' very special celebration (It is not possible to have two 50th. Wedding Anniversaries in one lifetime!!)

Taunton, England, United Kingdom
“Great food, Very friendly service - always a pleasure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

We had another lovely lunch at Clavelshay Barn last week. Thank you to all the staff who are always so friendly and accommodating. A better Sunday lunch you would struggle to find. Clavelshay barn is always the first port of call when my son returns home from uni - Better than Mum's he says! For someone who is not a fan of pork the roast pork is particularly good - The only place I would order it. My husband and sons always have the roast beef which
always comes up to their high expectations - Pink and plenty of it! If we can manage a pudding they're fab as well. If you want a extremely well cooked Sunday roast with lots of fluffy, crispy roast potatoes and delicious veg - look no further!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
“Must have been a bad night to go.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife's boss took us out for a special meal to celebrate a successful year based on others recommendations.

Started badly when we arrived and were advised there would be a delay to our table as other diners were over running due to delays from the kitchen.

Left for ages with menus before order taken and finally sat down at the table 50 minutes late.

Food and service was average especially the food which was luke warm when it arrived. Lots of delays between courses also.

Complained at the end of the meal not because we were looking for anything off but to give feedback so they can improve for the future.

Won't go again as pricey and you should expect more for your money.

clavelshay, Owner at Clavelshay Barn, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your visit. We take our guests comments very seriously and always try to respond to customer comments as soon as we can.
I apologise for the experience you had, which was not up to our usual high standards.
I would be grateful if you could let me know (by e-mail to query@clavelshaybarn.co.uk) , the date of your visit, so that I can talk to the staff on duty that evening to ascertain the chain of events that led to your unsatisfactory meal.
Thank you for bringing these matters to my attention. It is highly regrettable that I was not made aware of the situation at the time (something I will be talking to my staff about) and I will do my very best to rectify the matter, if at all possible, at this late stage.
I would like to invite you back for a complimentary meal. If you would like to accept my offer, please could you send me your name and address so that I can forward you a voucher.
With kind regards
Sue Milverton
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and very friendly service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

After my friend has been insisting i visit Clavelshay Barn for nearly a year i finally succumbed and am now wondering why it has taken me this long.
We went on a Sunday so naturally had the traditional roast for main course. The yorkshire's where light and in no way doughy, Potatoes crispy on the outside fluffy in the middle, plenty of veg and mountains of thickly carved still beautifully pink Beef. The taste was sensational and my friends Pork was damn good too. I started with a black pudding and guinea fowl terrine which was also excellent and not too overbearing on the fat/jelly side of things. On top of the Amazing food they also stock bottled Exmoor Gold so i allowed myself to imbibe a few of these thus negating dessert. My friend had pistachio creme brule with homemade strawberry shortbread. About £60 between us but worth every penny and more. Best place i have eaten in Somerset.

B ristol UK
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“80TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a Sunday lunch for 40, From the outset Sue Milverton was a star. Her attention to detail was outstanding. The decoration and ambiance of the barn was truly welcoming with Sue's waitresses standing at the door to greet us. The food was exemplary - roast beef, lovely yorkshires highly risen and light, crispy roasties, seasonal veggies - this was all piping hot. The pork was to die for with crackling and homemade apple sauce. Our veggie guests raved about Sue's vegetable tart Well, where shall I start? The desserts - homemade cheesecake, lemon meringue, choccy torte - yum yum. The bar is downstairs and there is a disabled loo. It is a bit off the beaten track but worth the visit 100%. My family loved the fact it was down windy lanes - it all added to the fun. Top tip don't let your satnav take you to Thurloxton - keep going and go through North Petherton - then turn off to Clavelshay. We came from M5 South.
The service was excellent and everything I asked for I got with exception. An excellent venue for a family lunch celebration for up to 50 people upstairs. We were recommended by Meare Court Farm Wrantage who do the most amazing family/hen weekends for up to 15 at Meare Court.

• Visited February 2013