“Nice food, very friendly service, interesting atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Burtle Inn - CLOSED

Cuisines: Bar, British
Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Nice food, very friendly service, interesting atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

We ate here twice as we were staying nearby.

The first night we had a full blow out meal (which was very nice indeed). The second we just had mussels (as we'd eaten at lunchtime).

Very attentive service, good food and an interesting atmosphere (the bar and dining room areas were all lit by candles!).

We were made very welcome and the staff even waited on us at our table in the bar, including drinks. The dining areas were curiously deserted (this being a Friday and a Saturday evening, too!) although the bar became quite busy. It's obviously a "locals pub", which is quite unusual these days!

It was a bit pricey and we did have to pay £1.75 to use a debit card, which seemed harsh given what we'd spent and there's nowhere else inviting locally but we weren't dissatisfied by any means.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Brollyman

Brent Knoll, United Kingdom
“Avoid this place, even if your life depends on it.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

We have had three occasions to dine at The Burtle Inn, and our experience got worse on every visit. The first occasion was a Sunday cavery. We had to wait over an hour to be seated at a clearly vacant table, then nearly the same again before we were 'allowed' to visit the carvery for food. What we had was lovely, but the selection of veg was severely limited and far from worth the £12 price tag (plus card fee even for debit card!) We thought we would give it another chance, but the service and food on our second visit were worse. Having vowed to ourselves never to return, my friend invited us out for her birthday. We did paired when she chose this as the venue, but felt compelled to go as it was her choice. My three fellow diners ordered off the specials menu and I had red pepper stuffed with veg risotto. I won't bore you with all the details but basically there were only limited numbers of dishes available and the my three fellow diners ended up bartering between themselves over one lamb shank, one belly pork and a steak. My red pepper when it finally arrived was stone cold in the middle. I sent it back and tucked into the accompanying bowl of mixed dressed leaves. I got a mouth full of grit and on looking closer at the salad leaves they were clearly dirty and unwashed. When my pepper came back, it was clearly the same item which had been microwaved and the risotto was now an inedible mush. I returned both items with no apology from the wait staff or offer of an alternative meal. Finally we had to fight to get my meal taken off the bill.
This place has appalling food and a similar level of service. It is overpriced and inflated by card charges. Avoid it.

2 Thank FloFlorenceFlo
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“A good old fashioned Somerset welcome... NOT!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

As this pub was only down the road from where we were staying, we turned up around 8pm for drinks and a meal.

We found a seat, and proceeded to the bar to order drinks and grab some menus. The person behind bar looked like she didn't want to be there and running around serving drinks and taking food out.

We were asked if were going to eat, which we said yes and "HOW MANY ARE EATING" to which we replied "Four". The reply wasn't great, first we were told there would be a wait for food, then she would have to speak to the chef to see if he could cope/handle another four diners.

From the bar area, we could quite clearly hear the ensuing conversation with the chef...

He quite clearly didn't want to cook for another 4 people, and said "HAVE THEY BEEN SERVED DRINKS YET".

After that, we decided to take our business and spend £100+ elsewhere.

Having worked in the catering and hospitality industry as a Chef ranging from local country pubs to Michelin Star'd restaurants, I understand that it can become busy and sometimes customers might have a wait and if they are told about it, then the customers are generally very accommodating. For us this wouldn't have been an issue...

The issue was with the attitude, as they clearly didn't want us in there.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Hairynosedwombat
Burnham-On-Sea, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Charges and Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

£12.90 for a carvery I thought was a little steep but when I went to pay using a debit card was charged an extra £1.75 for the privilege. Talk about adding on changes to make more profit!!!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank a a
Cheddar, United Kingdom
“Friendly period pub with excellent food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

We have visited twice now, the last visit being Friday 29th June 2012. It is a little off the beaten track but well worth a visit. The pub is warm and welcoming with period features and open fires. We went for the restaurant which is part of the pub but distinct separate room. The staff were attentive and friendly making it a relaxed and enjoyable meal.

We selected the steaks; rump or fillet sold by the ounce although there are many other choices available including some nice seafood options. We were served complimentary fresh sour bread with oil and balsamic while we waited. The steaks were fresh and tender, beautifully cooked with crispy chips; definitely a good choice! To follow there are also many desserts to choose from but I could only manage one; the home made almond bread and butter pudding with custard is delicious! The wines were very good too.

Thanks for a lovely evening meal. I am sure we will visit again very soon!

• Visited June 2012