“10/10 for The Bower Inn”
Review of The Bower Inn

The Bower Inn
Ranked #1 of 30 Bridgwater B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I stayed at The Bower Inn for 3 nights June with my sister and 6 month old great nephew, while his parents went to Glastonbury. We shared one room, to take it in turns to look after the baby. The owners and staff couldn't have been more helpful. Nothing was too much trouble and they helped make our stay such a pleasure. The food was very good and the breakfast was excellent. We ate most of our meals there and the baby was made very welcome at meal times, and was given toys to play with whilst we ate. I found my stay there very relaxing and I would definitely go back. They even gave my husband breakfast on the morning he came to collect me to go home. 10/10 for The Bower Inn

1  Thank dianaclare
TeamBower, Owner at The Bower Inn, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2014

It really was a pleasure having you to stay - back again next year? Peter

Reviewed June 24, 2014

My wife has put a review up on the restaurant side about our daughter's wedding reception and I am submitting this here because having read the previous reviews our experience couldn't have been more different!

The Bower Inn did everything they could to make the day the success it was. Helpful to the extreme. My wife, daughter and friends decorated the marquee and part of the restaurant ourselves as we knew what we wanted but they offered us other accessories, some of which we used. The barbeque was very impressive and they had catered well for the numbers.

We have a lively fun family and were just allowed to enjoy ourselves.

Candy was on hand and any thing we wanted was done with a smile.

Even though they are building an extension on the side, the gardens were still lovely and the enclosed courtyard at the back made a welcome shady seating area from the very hot weather we were lucky enough to have last weekend. We didn't stay overnight but our daughter and her new husband did and they said it was lovely.

Thank you Bower Inn for all you did.

Can highly recommend.

1  Thank Adrian K

Thank you for taking the time to write the review. We were really pleased the day was such a success and that all the efforts were appreciated. We certainly felt that you and your guests created a wonderfully relaxed and fun atmosphere. Thanks again. Peter

Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stumbled upon this place on a Friday night with nowhere to stay. We were tired and hungry. What a lovely, lovely place. They took us in (including our standard poodle), gave us a superb room, gave us a fantastic meal and made us feel at home. I cannot praise them enough, although they were very busy we were made to feel well looked after and totally at ease. The following morning, the bill was very reasonable too.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for such a great review - so glad you had a wonderful stay. Hope to see you again soon. Peter

Reviewed June 18, 2014

i just wanted to put this out there as i dont want anyone else going through this on there special day. I got married on Saturday and my reception was at bower inn even though it was a lovely day bower really let us down with most of it food, decoration, no one there wen you needed them, telling us to turn music down, doesn't like people getting drunk, man handling my son, they didn't cut the cake for the guests me and my new husband had to do it, the landlady was so rude to everyone, my husband and best men and a couple family members had to go down there in morning to decorate it with no help from anyone at bower. was no way worth what we paid for it

3  Thank Charlene C
TeamBower, Owner at The Bower Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

We were probably as devastated as you were when informed at the end of the event how poorly we were thought of and how disappointed both you and your guests had been. I would agree that it was a shame to have to close the bar, but as an experienced, responsible licensee and considerate neighbour, I felt that 10 hours of drinking, in this instance, was sufficient. I shan't respond to all your comments here, but would say that Candida, the team and I care deeply about what we do and take criticism in any form very very seriously . Regardless of this experience we will continue to promote The Bower Inn as a unique wedding venue in the Bridgwater vicinity and will ensure that any lessons learnt will only improve future events here. Peter

Reviewed June 16, 2014

I have often passed by the Bower Inn on my way to visit family, it has always intrigued me as it does look very pleasant from the road, despite being sandwiched between the M5 motorway and a housing estate, it manages to keep some of the country manor charm you can see represented in the pictures here. I should mention that I have not stayed at the location, my experience is based on attending a family wedding, which I was present at for a few hours before leaving due to having small children.

So why the Fawlty Towers reference? Well, as other reviewers have mentioned, there is a member of staff whom I assume is the manageress, who is just rude. She seemed to feel the need to insist that my six year old girl say 'please' and 'thank you' in order to receive a plate of pork and some bread, with a side of salad and coleslaw (every 6 year olds favourite). The thing here is, that my children have impeccable manners, something the manageress may have noticed if she had bothered listening to my daughter, rather than talking over her. It says something of the afternoon that I can actually give a 6 year old 5 stars for manners, whilst I could not recommend this hotelier be given any at all. In summary, hospitality was non-existent.

Now, the food. Terrible.

Why? Well, the bride and groom were very excited about the Hog roast that the Bower Inn had arranged. This in my mind would be a spit roasted pig, complete with head, eyes, feet, pretty much all of its body really, the kind of thing to make vegetarians weep into their nut roast (if there were the option of course). This is not what was on offer. Not by a long shot. As I have already stated the offering was a fairly plan bap, with some pork in, some salad and coleslaw. No child friendly option, no vegetarian option. I realise that the bride and groom may have not ordered a child friendly or veggie option, but then I am pretty sure they didn't order 1 pork bap per guest either. I have been present at a hog roast before, people could go back multiple times, not here, 1 serving, dinner over.

I believe that there was an evening meal provided by the Bower Inn, however as I have already said I had to leave to take to kids home.

Some things to consider if you are thinking of using this location for an event.
1. It is not child friendly, there is nothing for children to do but amuse themselves, which will drive the manageress up the wall.
2. The Hog Roast is not a Hog Roast, it is more of a peppa pig sandwich.
3. I have just remembered, there was apple sauce.
4. Very limited parking.
5. Rude Manageress.
6. Although, pleasant bar staff.
7. Two, old, lovely dogs.
8. Nice location, near to motorway access.

2  Thank Nathan C

Having spent some time considering the aftermath of this event it is clear that the route of the problem stems from an agreed delivery of a "roast pork buffet" but the expectation of a "Hog Roast". Two very different offers and clearly defined within all our correspondences. This reviewer has been astute in their acknowledgement that no child friendly or vegetarian meals had been requested, neither before the event or during. I concede, the Bower Inn is not a child orientated establishment and children expected to attend a wedding reception from 1.00 pm until late in the evening are bound to become restless. All that said we are devastated that this wedding was not the occasion it should have been nor the successful reception we are used to hosting. Peter

Reviewed May 31, 2014

We stayed here for a weekend get away , booked at the last minute. We were unsure about staying as we would have normally booked one of the large hotel chains.
What a great time we had , wonderful and warm welcome , the evening meal and breakfast of the highest quality and the room as good as we have stayed in anywhere.
We would definitely recommend anyone to stay at the Bower Inn.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
TeamBower, Owner at The Bower Inn, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

So glad you gave us a try and that it turned out to be such a success. Hope you can get here again soon. Peter

Reviewed May 28, 2014

We arrived at the Bower Inn for a 1 night stay en route to a family wedding. We were given a really warm welcome and felt really happy to be there from the minute we crossed the threshold. Our room was pure luxury, from the extremely comfortable antique bed to the crisp white John Lewis bed linen and soft fine woolen robes hanging in the closet. The bathroom had the lovely modern walk-in shower we had requested, properly sized towels and really nice shower gels and body lotions in full size bottles in a smart wooden caddy. We immediately regretted that fact that we were not saying at the Bower In for the duration of our Somerset stay but we were already booked to overnight at the wedding venue the next day and it wouldn't have worked to change that. We really wanted to dine at the Bower Inn too having seen the beautiful restaurant but we already had dinner commitments elsewhere. However, we got back at a reasonable time to enjoy a relaxed nightcap in the bar and watch the clearly happy diners drifting towards home. The restaurant was beautifully lit and the food looked great. The next morning we enjoyed a full breakfast cooked freshly to order in the airy and light breakfast area and couldn't have asked for better quality food or more friendly service. After this we had to head off to the wedding venue but we have bookmarked the Bower Inn for a future stay. The owners have managed to create a slice of country luxury at an amazing price and the warmness of the welcome from everyone on the team we encountered made us feel so at home. The bed in room 2 gave us the best night's sleep we've had in years so I'm planning to email and ask where the mattress was bought. This place is a must-try and the whole team is to be congratulated on the great, friendly atmosphere and quality experience offered to guests.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thanks for such a stunning review. So glad the Bower Inn was such a great success for you. Hope you'll be able to get back some time soon for a longer stay. Peter

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgwater
Travelodge Bridgwater M5
#1 of 1 in Goathurst
The Babbling Brook
The Babbling Brook
#11 of 30 in Bridgwater

Been to The Bower Inn? Share your experiences!