“Valentine night dream”
Review of Bower Inn

Bower Inn
Ranked #8 of 119 Restaurants in Bridgwater
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

I went to the bower for my first valentine with my new husband and had an amazing evening. The pub and restaurant were full not a spare table in the place but yet my duck and new potatoes were to die for would of had it again if I wasn't so full up. Even though the bower was extremely busy which is expected on Valentine's night we didn't have to wait long for each course the staff were fantastic an helpfully in every way well done bower inn keep it will be back again very soon

TeamBower, Owner at Bower Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

So pleased to hear your Valentine night with us was such a success. We were really busy (27 tables, all a la carte) and there were a couple of moments when we were a bit pushed, but so pleased it didn't have any effect on your evening. Looking forward to your next visit, regards Peter

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We booked an early table for 6 (4 adults and 2 under 12's) and arrived half an hour before. We were greeted warmly and invited to take a seat in the Pub part of the place.
I was very impressed with the decor in the restaurant/pub. Smart and clean, individual and fun. spot the Pink Piglet light.
We sat in the comfy sofa's in front of the huge fireplace, very homely.
I ordered drinks at the bar which were then bought over to us by another friendly lady whom also gave us menu's.
We were given plenty of time to choose our orders for the meal and allowed to finish our drinks in the comfy sofas before going through to the eating section of the restaraunt.
Again the place was warm and the chairs comfy, the waitress attentive and asked if we wanted more drinks or anything else, she even bought over a jug of tap water without uis asking for it.
Food was great. Huge portions, piping hot and all delivered at the same time even though we had a mix of meals. Just the right amount of gap between courses, we didnt feel rushed or ignored, which is a hard thing to get right.
Puddings were great and the coffee was spot on.
Price wise, a fair price for quality food and service.
The staff and management were friendly and attentive.
I'm really glad to have found this place, it makes such a change from the generic cheap and nasty 2 for 1 steak houses that seem to do so well locally.
After reading a few of the other reveiws on this site I cant seem to match the Bower Inn that we we went to, with the one that they are describing.

The only thing that was missing from the evening was a dog lying in front of the wood burner.

Keep up the good work; we'll definitely be back.

1  Thank Foley335

Many thanks for your review, I really appreciate the feed back and know what a great motivation it will be for the team here. Looking forward to your next visit. Regards Peter

Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

Slow service
Rude
Ignored
Long waits - for service, the food wait wasn't that long.
You should just casually check on diners every now and then and make sure they have adequate drinks/afters/sweets menu etc. Don't just ignore them

Overpriced for average food
We are dog lovers, but there's a time and place NOT in a restaurant. We don't care how much of a dog lover you are, we do not allow our dogs in our food areas at home.

Sort it out please, this used to be a lovely place.
It is going downhill fast, unless you sort it out and fast you will have no diners.
It's a shame

living on the laurels of a tv show won't last forever. Either up your game to a good level or charge meals at a weatherspoons prices. Because that is all you're offering, cold service, rude, ignored, just like a weatherspoons.

Shame really, we've been here about 10 times and every time it's getting worse. Certainly will not be returning.

1  Thank Bwcpl

I cannot agree with your headline comment. However, I would be the first to concede that we don't get it right every single time and that the style of food, ingredients used and our desire to prepare fresh food to our customers does on occasions lead to slower than expected service. I am not satisfied by any of this and can assure you that we are constantly looking at ways to improve without compromising our core values. This review hurts of course, but makes us more determined to succeed, so for that I thank you. Regards Peter

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We went on a Sunday for lunch. As we were with friends we did not at first mind the very long wait for our food but I have to say we did get a bit fed up eventually. Service was casual, no menus when we were seated then the waitress seemed a little put out that we asked for them. After the main course we waited again a very very long time for coffees and had to ask the owner where they were. The attitude of staff and owner seemed rather unfriendly, why?? We have been before and enjoyed it but this time we were sorry to have taken our friends there. The food was fine - we only had burgers and scampi but all nice, not outstanding but perfectly okay. The sight of the waitress clearing tables rather than taking our orders for desserts and coffee and not once looking our way was annoying. When we called her over she did then take the order. Just did not feel comfortable, Shan't be going back.

1  Thank livinlight
TeamBower, Owner at Bower Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Your comments highlight our need to speed up our food service and coach our team to improve their customer skills. Many thanks for that and sorry you won't be back. Peter

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Disgusted by lack of care.

I'm sorry, but I have to write this. I have just had a valentines dinner, by what I can only call appalling.

They were not at all busy, yet excuses about being 'busy' for about 10 tables does not do it for me.

I have never written a review, nor do I hope I ever have to but I just had to write something about the awful overpriced food here.

We went for a valentines meal, the first proper meal my wife had been able to drink for 9 months

Started off ok.
Service good etc.

Then finally sat in the black hole the 'restaurant' and when I say black hole I mean you must serve yourself and go and get a waitress to get drinks or even go and get your own drinks on valentines night!
One word comes to mind 'classy'
Oh and 'CLASSY'

Food turns up, starter was good, only one starter as I saw the size of the plates were large, so only a main for me.

The main turns up. RAW UNCOOKED POTATO. Nice, good touch Bower. Just what is needed on a romantic valentines evening.

We wait for the waitress
You get the pun.........

The table next to us had been waiting for the desert menu for about 20 minutes, so you can see the problem.
We finally get attention and they offer us a replacements.
Thanks but no thanks, they then offer us deserts. The table next to us 'tut' I don't blame them!
The table next to us then go and get their own desert menu.
They wait
They wait
They wait...
You get what I'm saying...

We go to leave, they have the £16 meal on the bill that we had 2 mouthfuls of.
Firstly. And I'll say this slowly.

Really.…............

Seriously?

Really............

Then came the, oh 'we knocked off a pint for you'

£16 per pint is it now?

Pointed out I was not paying for the uneaten meal, to which they then put back on the price of the pint.
Don't mind, at least the drinks were good, and worth paying for.

THANKYOU. Was a lovely night, one I will have great pleasure in sharing with others.

First time out for the wife drinking in 9 months, and this is what we get from a so called 'premier' restaurant in the area.
Awful.

4  Thank Chalkiewhite99

This review is devastating. I can only offer our sincere apologies for what would appear to have been an extremely disappointing experience. We had 27 tables booked between 6.30 and 8.30 and consequently there was a period when it was all hands to the deck. I am so sorry your table was a casualty of that particularly busy moment and that we failed to handle your issues as effectively on the night as I know we are capable of. We would love the opportunity to rectify the wrongs, so please contact me directly and give us a chance. Regards Peter