TripAdvisor

Hidden gem

Reviewed July 7, 2019
chrismB7291QA
via mobile

All reviews play cricket lovely place hidden gem lovely walk stream woods paths walks
Selected filters
Reviewed August 2, 2019

Previous reviews had said that this was hard to find, we put the postcode into our satnav and got to it straight away. That said we had to drive a little way once in the park to understand exactly where to go. We had a lovely walk with our dog through the woods, everything was well laid out, wide paths were looked after and it was easy to follow the red arrows. We didn't stay at the recreational area but it looked well laid out. The only problem we encountered was that the restaurant near the beginning of the park does not open Mondays/Tuesdays and we didn't realise that.

Date of experience: July 2019
Reviewed July 7, 2019 via mobile

The navigation to this place is appalling, you REALLY need to know about it to visit. Which I suppose makes it so nice it is very quiet and tranquil.

For kids there are plenty of small streams just off path which are amazing to play in and utterly safe.

There is a lovely 2.5?mile walk which takes you into the wood and worth the trek as the trees and peacefulness are amazing.

There is pay and display parking. No idea on costs as the machines were out of order when we visited.

Date of experience: July 2019
1  Thank chrismB7291QA
Reviewed March 24, 2019 via mobile

I'm not sure why thus place isn't really signposted or advertised! Vast woods, lots of paths for walking, streams for playing, areas for picnics. Parking and toilets available. A very nice find when in the area and a bit of a hidden gem.

Date of experience: March 2019
Reviewed September 23, 2018

The woods are diverse and there are walks for fit and those hoping to get fitter! A wonderful stream at the picnic field for playing in.

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed November 28, 2017 via mobile

My mother's family all hailed from the Quantocks area, so I've been going there since I was a small boy (yes, yes, pedants and quibblers - a very long time ago now).

But I hadn't been back much since the last of my grandparents died about 20 years ago. So when a family friend in Weston-super-Mare asked me whether there was any good walking out past Bridgwater, Greatwood popped into my head right away.

And so it was on a lovely autumn day that four adults and three children (aged between seven and 12) all headed there for a day's walking. I had forgotten just how truly beautiful the Quantocks can be at that time of year. The whole place look like it had been set on fire! So after three hours of walking up to the top of the moorland, we headed back over the hills again and took ourselves off to Nether Stowey and The Ancient Mariner Inn, for some Sunday lunch and a couple of pints of Exmoor Ale. And a good job we did, because the food is lovely, there's an open fireplace which makes for a comfortable experience, and I git to show my friends all the places in Stowey where I used to play as a kiddie (my grandfather was the wheelwright for many years), and visit a couple of graves to pay my respects.

All in all a great day out and some stunning views.

Date of experience: November 2017