“Friendly and helpful”

The Boat & Anchor inn
Ranked #11 of 31 Bridgwater B&B and Inns
“Friendly and helpful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014 via mobile

This place doesn't pretend to be gourmet or luxury, but is in a fantastic location and has friendly genuine people wanting to help you. The grey parrot seems to run the operation but the others make a good fish and chips.

Well worth a visit for a cold pint or two by the canal.

• Stayed June 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Taunton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

This one night stay was poor from start to finish. On arrival I booked in at the bar. The young girl who took payment made no attempt at conversation and when the transaction was complete disappeared leaving me in limbo. Another barmaid appeared some time later and realised I had been stood there for quite some time and sorted out my room. The room itself was pleasant enough it has obviously been newly decorated to a high standard. The bed was extremely comfortable but it was unbearably hot and whilst looking for the non existent hair dryer I discovered the drawers were full of old newspapers. When my partner arrived we decided we would put our all into enjoying a pleasant summers evening sat outside of what could be a lovely country inn. When we asked if they had any local bottled cider we were offered bulmers! The food was expensive and tasteless. We moved inside when the owner asked how long we were going to be sitting there for as he wanted to put the chairs away. We moved inside but were the only customers and at 10 o clock when I went to the bar to order some wine there was no one there. I found the owner in a side office who told me he was just going to close . I asked if that meant we could not have any more drinks and he said only if we took them back to our room! We did this but it was not ideal as there is nowhere to sit in the room. We did have a fairly good nights sleep apart from the lack of air/heat. However breakfast was a farce. It was a one man operation.... The owner. No fruit, no juice, no yogurts, no pastries. There are 2 dispensers of cereal that looks like they have been full of the same cereal for a bit longer than its sell by date. The coffee was dreadful. We were presented with 4 slices of white toast whether we wanted it or not and the owner who at this stage sports a tunic announcing he is the chef took our order for breakfast. Basically you are given the option of full English or nothing! When I asked if I could have my egg poached I was told the 'chef' could only do fried. It was possibly the smallest, worst tasting breakfast I have eaten. The ingredients were cheap and cooked to death. I think the one slice of fatty bacon had possibly been boiled. After the chef/owner had delivered this pretty poot offering we never saw him again and checked out by leaving our key on an empty bar. Would definitely not return.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank carolclass

Travelers are raving about these Bridgwater hotels

Exeter, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

We called in to try a change from the motorway services, hoping it would be better. Wrong! Food was ok, but they forgot our pudding! Service was not with a smile. No hot water in loos, dogs not allowed in beer garden where all the shade was! My advice? Keep going to the next services.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank jammey_dodger
Cotswolds UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

We thought that we would make a change from Motorway Services and it is easy to come off at Junction 24/25 and go into town BUT follow the signs to what sounds like a charming place and you will be disapponted.
For a start you end up back close to the motorway and the railway and the place is dismal and food poor. I had spare ribs which were warmed up from 2 weeks previous over cooking?

Stay on the M5....mind you the New Gloucester Services is very expensive especially the eggs and Diesel??

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Just back from a nice short break. Convenient location for motorway, would make ideal stopping off point on way to West Country. Friendly welcome, bedroom comfortable and nice breakfasts. Restaurant menu fairly standard for a pub but nicely cooked and very nice service. Would return.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
somerset
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

Went for a meal at lunch time. Food quality was very poor,service not to bad. But prices are expensive considering the food is of a poor standard. Lasagna had barely any meat in it, very cheaply made. Childs chicken nugget meal @ £6.00 would expect real chicken nuggets not the processed crap that you buy at mcdonalds not to mention the cheap baked beans and the chips cooked in god knows what! WILL i return ....NO

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I with my daughter and her partner came to stay on the Saturday and Sundays of the bank holiday weekend this may. On arrival the staff gave a lovely warm friendly welcome .room 3 was nice and big with a great comfy bed , although room was cold on entry I asked about the heating in room due to wife have rheumatoid arthritis through the body and needs to be warm , the owner did not hesitate and put heating on for us I do think he just needs to remind people on checking in to turn radiators on in there rooms .evening meal was great cooked to the way thing should be the chicken we had was very good compliments to the chef .depending on what you like when staying in b and b this place was perfect for my wife and I nice quiet location for realxing and getting away from it all no realy noisy pub to keep you awake at night will be going back again with out a doubt. Thankyou for a warm welcome stay from keith and yvette.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank keith s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridgwater
The Walnut Tree Hotel
#10 of 31 in Bridgwater
The Old Vicarage
The Old Vicarage
#30 of 31 in Bridgwater

Been to The Boat & Anchor inn? Share your experiences!