“Well below expectations”

Battleborough Grange Country Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Brent Knoll
“Well below expectations”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We were very disappointed with nber of things during our 2 day stay at Battleborough Grange. Firstly the rooms, our room ( a family room presumably) was a decent size, however other members in our group stayed in a double which was extremely small for two people (they also had a noisy radiator which wouldn't turn off). As this is not an inexpensive hotel we expected the room to be cleaned every day, not much, but at the very least the bins should be emptied and the tea cups replaced etc. This is not the case at Battleborough Grange where your clean towels are left by your door for you to take in yourself and the rooms are left untouched.
We also had breakfast which was a less than satisfactory experience. I opted for the continental breakfast which apparently offered croissants, Danish pastries, cheese and meat. What I actually had to chose from was soggy Danish pastries and tinned fruit. Members of my party who ordered porridge and a cooked breakfast received both at the same time and on the 2nd morning one person didn't get there breakfast until approximately 20minutes after everyone else had finished.
If this hotel was about half the price it actually is I wouldn't be bothered by things like this but if you wish to charge £75 a night you also need to provide a decent service. We will not be staying here again.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Slamqueen25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Upon arriving the staff on reception were attentive and willing to go above and beyond to make us comfortable. We met with vince, the general manager of the premises and he as well as his staff were polite accomadating and very professional.

We stayed for lunch and the food was stunning. For a lunch time menu you couldn't ask for more. I had steak and ale pie and my wife the chicken. The children had a half portion of of the chicken, no deep fried junk food here.

The room was exceptional. When we opened the door it was a very pleasant surprise. The space, the furniture and decor and the overall appearance was exactly what you would want for a comfortable stay.

I would highly recommend this hotel as not only a stop off point on a long journey but as the main function of the hotel seems to be weddings and the like, an extremely good place to start your search for a venue.

• Stayed January 2013
BRISTOL
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Staff were great and food was amazing. Corridors dated and rooms very modern. I would stay again and recommend to people. Rooms have been modernised and every thing is new and comfortable. Don't really now what people expect for the price but I think it's value for money. You could not get a tacky b&b in burnham for this price We ate 3 meals while there and enjoyed every one (breakfast especially ). Was full at the time of our stay. And still only waited 10-15 min for our food

• Stayed December 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My daughter was married here in October 2011.
The wedding during the day was well organised with the food adequate and well cooked. The rooms clean & most with good views.
The problems started in the evening. A barbeque (£800) had been booked for the evening to start at 9pm. Eventually a half hearted attempt was made at 9.20. I had a burger in a bun, intending to have more later. Returned at 10.15 to find it all cleared away. The bun on my burger was dry & stale, after speaking to other guests found they were not happy with the bread or the relishes / salads either. I made a complaint to the management & a meeting was arranged with the chef (looked as if he had swallowed a wasp), hoping for some kind of refund. All we were offered was a free meal for six to be cooked by, if you hadn't already guessed, the chef. We declined obviously. Needless to add I was kept waiting for an hour after giving my breakfast order the following morning.
The other problem we had was that when we booked the venue we reserved special 4 poster rooms only to find out that on the day they had been allocated to other guests.
To sum up. We paid a lot of money & expected better.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lucida100
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a wedding (which was elsewhere) and because a friend had suddenly had her husband invited to the wedding I had to get my own room. I checked in exceptionally late because I didn't have time to do it before the reception and the night porter had everything ready. I went up to my room where I had an actual key to the door. I can't remember the last time I stayed in a hotel that wasn't a swipe card entry. The room was fairly small but the bed was well made with plenty of expensive looking bedding and the bathroom was a perfectly adequate size with good, expensive-looking toiletries provided. There were plenty of towels and tea and coffee making facilities, and also a mint on the pillow. The room was a tad on the hot side but it was quiet and the bed was comfortable. I only stayed for one night and the breakfast was included in the price. It was really delicious and the service was excellent. When it was time to leave I had an hour before my train and the hotel called me a cab and allowed me to hang out in the bar until it was time to go. I can't fault it and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Middlesex
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Our friends booked this hotel on Lastminute.com for 4 of us. After calling the hotel directly to confirm their price wouldn't be cheaper if they booked directly with them, our friends were told no and they were also advised that breakfast was included in the price. The reason for the visit was to go to the local evening carnival but as my husband had not been well we decided to stay at the hotel and have drinks in the bar for a few hours and a meal in the evening. We could not fault the meal it was lovely, as were all the waiting staff. The room we had was the same one as an earlier advisor, very small bathroom, no lock and toilet that made an awful noise.
When it came to checking out we were horrified to see we were being charged for the room again, I had already paid our friends who had already paid Lastminute.com and breakfast was also being charged as an additional cost. Our friends confirmed they had already paid and the receptionist wasn't having any of it, She told them It was now up to our friends to take it up with Lastminute. There was absolutely no customer service skills in the woman, and when there were other guests also trying to check out I don't think she didn't the hotel any favours. it totally spoilt what had been an enjoyable stay.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank whosshe
Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Nice stay in small typical England hotel, good England beer, good English breakfast... Nice people, clean and well accomodate rooms. Good sleep there because it is outside of city and main road. Nice countryside around.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Premier Inn Weston Super Mare Jct 22 M5 (Lympsham) Hotel
The Royal Clarence Hotel
The Royal Clarence Hotel
#1 of 1 in Burnham-On-Sea

Been to Battleborough Grange Country Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!