“babington - yes please!”
Review of Babington House

Babington House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Babington
Cardiff
“babington - yes please!”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here for a 30th birthday treat and had a fantastic time. From arrival, the service from the staff was second to none - always attentive and helpful. The room was in the main house overlooking the chapel and lake and was absolutely stunning - especially liked the log fire
on a cold November evening in the room. The pools and cowshed were amazing - we managed to have the outdoor pool to ourselves and swimming in the dark in the surroundings of the house topped off a great trip.

Food is great, we would certainly recommend the chicken liver starter. The restaurant staff were knowledgeable and again extremely helpful. Would certainly recommend this place to anyone and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: loved the rooms in the main house!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've been coming here for many years and one of the things I really like is that they keep investing in improving the property and continue their excellent staff training and recruitment. The orangery restaurant is no longer new but it is a really stunning addition to the proper t y. Properly done to chime in with the original architecture. Beautifully lit it provides a romantic setting for dinner and a garden view for breakfast and lunch. The food here is good but the real attraction lies in the hotel overall . The rooms are generous in size and always welcoming. The tvs are larger than before and even though the have introduced a minibar and tea-making facility (one of my pet hates) you still feel catered for. The breakfast and the afternoon tea are delightful and the cocktails worthy of the name. Babington is also a health club for the locals and at weekends it can be too busy but if you can come in a Sunday and stay a couple of nights, it's terrific. We arrived yesterday to a sprinkling of snow over the lovely lawns.
Treatments in the cowshed are better than at their treatment rooms in London and the little sitting room in the cowshed is a place I could easily spend many hours with its beautiful view and log burner. The ginger tea is amazing. We shall be back a couple of times a year as ever and very grateful to come.
Still a young atmosphere with more than a touch if luxury .

Room Tip: The first floor rooms in the main house are slightly more expensive but worth it. Room five with the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed at Babington for 3 nights in October after our wedding and had a fantastic time. The room was lovely and the staff couldn't be more helpful. Sometimes the service was a bit slow, but we were there to relax so it didn't really matter. The pools and Cowshed are amazing, we had some great treatments. Food and drinks aren't expensive and everything we ordered was really tasty. All in all, it was worth every penny and we didn't want to leave!

Reviewed November 3, 2012

After several recommendations, I took my mum away for some pampering, and was not let down. The setting was perfect, the rooms and interior perfectly done and the staff excellent. Really made to feel welcome in such a relaxed atmosphere, a visit to the cowshed spa is a must!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sarah C
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We spent the weekend at babington to celebrate my birthday and it couldn't have been better.
Beautiful location surrounded by gorgeous countryside.
The main house is obviously a top quality hotel but doesn't feel fancy, overdone or pretentious.
We felt instantly relaxed as soon as we walked in.
We had an upstairs room in the coach house which I'd highly recommend. £390 a night is not cheap but it was a huge split level room with the bed upstairs on a mezzanine and living room and open bathroom downstairs. Big roll top bath in the middle of the room. Also a lovely big very powerful shower. Can't remember if we were room 21 or 22 but it looked one of the best along the coach house. Only thing is it would not be suitable for young children with a very open spiral staircase. The only negative with the room was the bed while very big with lovely sheets was definitely too soft!
While they have a large selection of the lovely cowshed products for you to use you sadly can't take most of them away. Had been hoping for some complimentary minis!
The spa is really lovely. Very relaxed. I am pregnant so couldn't have the full range but had a very relaxing massage. The spa treatment beds are the most comfortable ever and treatment prices were reasonable. Just make sure you book well ahead.
The bar was quite buzzy and is open 24 hours. They also did very good non alcoholic cocktails which made drinking less depressing while pregnant!
The main orangery dining room is lovely. Food is not fancy, more home cooked meals than Michelin starred but very good all the same. The lunch and breakfast menus were excellent but we did find the dinner menu a bit limited. Only about 5 choices per course and nothing I really fancied. However quality was good, portions large and not expensive at all.
Breakfast is sadly not included in the room which was disappointing at the price but for £16 each you got a lot. For the same price you can have it delivered to your room in a cool breakfast box and they did very well at delivering it still warm.
As it was my birthday they had also helped my husband order flowers and chocolate dipped raspberries and other things and had gone out of their way to help. Everyone was very friendly and not fussy. The restaurant service could be a bit slow but overall great. Make sure you try the homemade sausage rolls and pork pies!
Overall we had a wonderful weekend and felt truly relaxed when we left. Did it beat hotel tresanton to become my favourite uk hotel? Not quite but it's a close second and a lot easier to get to!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms in the coach house are huge and lovely
1 Thank Gooldie
Chalfont St Peter, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed at Babington House on 25th October for a wedding.

It was a little chaotic on arrival with 30 guests all arriving within an hour of each other, car park was very full and we had trouble parking and no rooms were ready whoch seemed a real shame when they knew they had 70+ people coming to stay overnight for a wedding who had travelled some distance and needed to change etc. Perhaps when they have a wedding party they could do an earlier check out for guests the night before?

Apart from that though really loved the hotel and the staff. Room was huge and so comfy, staff very friendly and so helpful, food delicious and had a really fabulous stay.

I have read some reviews and did see in some rooms some things that needed a bit of a refresh, but our room was great and had no issues with it.

Would definitely return again for a weekend treat.

Room Tip: For a quieter room maybe stay in one of the rooms away from the main house... And take flat shoes to...
1 Thank Lisa J
Sydney
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We found everything pretty excellent at Babington House apart from some of the restaurant and house guests. How can somewhere expect to charge so much for, what appears, an idyllic country house and then totally fail to control the behavior of those who appear to be blissfully unaware that people may actually be trying to sleep in those nice rooms in the main house? We were here in Room 2 for 2 disturbed nights on a Monday and Tuesday. Arrived to a warm welcome from the, very good, front-of-house staff and given a tour of the facilities. What ever you might think this not a hotel. If you are a club member then you will know the vibe is very much home away from home for creative types. If you are not club member then you may be in for a surprise but not an unpleasant one. Having made many visits to Soho House and Shoreditch with creative friends I found the relaxing atmosphere quite refreshing. Our room was fabulous along with bathroom. Afternoon tea was also a very pleasant inclusion. Dinner was good along with the short wine list and very reasonably priced. We had no problem with service in any area of Babington House and all the staff were helpful and friendly. Monday night the problem was the very late departure of some of the restaurant guests. I was very disturbed to learn how much trouble they were having with an aged relative who was having to be recovered on an almost weekly basis from their local police station after having been found wandering on the verge of the motorway looking for badger sets. Terrible, but worse was that they found it necessary to wake me up to hear this news by talking loudly under my window. Somebody obviously found it funny as there was much laughing and guffawing before they fell into their cars, slammed the doors and crunched off over the gravel. I did report the disturbance to reception in the morning and there was much hand wringing and expressions of sympathy. Tuesday night the turn-down staff closed the shutters on our windows and pulled those thick curtains tight. Nice try but you hadn't reckoned with those 20-30 conference delegates having a private dinner in the long room. So I'm fast asleep again until I hear the voices of 3 or 4 people talking loudly, but not listening to each, other outside the side entrance which is probably the default smoking room. The side entrance like the front entrance is in very close proximity to Room 2. Grin and bear it, I said to myself. 5 minutes later I wasn't grinning and had heard enough of the indiscretions of one of their colleagues. Out of bed I dragged myself and fought my way through curtains and shutters to the sash window. Throwing the window up, I requested, rather impolitely, that they activate their mute buttons. My partner, awakened by the din, asked why I was shouting at someone to come and tuck me up. Needless to say so besotted were the gentlemen, close to our window, with the sounds of their own voices that they just carried on. So I got dressed, went downstairs and outside to remonstrate with them only to find that they had disappeared elsewhere. I had words with the guy on reception who promised to do something about it. All was pretty quiet after that apart from the odd mobile phone call and we all know how funny those one-sided conversations can sound. Not sure if BH can do anything about this but I was assured management would be informed of my experience. In summary what should have been an excellent two days and nights of r & r was ruined by other thoughtless guests who need to be made aware that they are not the only life forms on the planet.

2 Thank yungkara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Babington
Ston Easton Park Hotel
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel
Rookery Manor
Rookery Manor
#1 of 1 in Edingworth

Been to Babington House? Share your experiences!