“Very disappointed!! Needs some advice from the hotel inspector.”

T'yn y Cornel Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Tal-y-llyn B&B and Inns
Holywell, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed!! Needs some advice from the hotel inspector.”
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Turned up at the hotel and was instantly impressed by the beautiful setting, I was sure this was going to be a lovely place to stay and well worth the long drive. I trundled into the reception and was kept waiting for a while to check in as the person behind the desk was on the phone, although I did get an apology and was promptly given a form to sign and a key, with what seemed to be half a tree attached to it (I wasn't going to loose that in a hurry). Quickly went up to the standard double room to dump mine and my +1's cases, didn't pay much attention at first to the room but it was very compact and off I went to join my friends for a bite to eat. Opted for the bar menu which was rather limited and a bit on the pricey side, decided to opt for a warm sandwich, the pork and apple sounded good with a side of chips. Service was very slow but then the waitress arrived with no food but an apology as the 'pork' was a misprint, it should have stated 'beef???' Hmmmm beef and apple...... never heard of that before so I opted for a chicken wrap! Food arrived eventually and it looked beautiful but we were all very disappointed in the quality (seems to be a pattern with this hotel) the bar was also very limited, anyway it was late so off to unpack and sleep. On returning to the room i noticed how tired and grubby it was, the carpet had not been cleaned very well, there was stains on the throw and the chair and what looked like dead flies in the light fitting, there was also a hidden surprise, a tissue in the bed which was an unusual touch! In addition the room that I stayed in seemed to be situated directly over the kitchen, as I was woken up early every morning by banging, clashing and an electric whisk. On the plus side breakfast was ok, on the first morning the service was a little slow and there were no mushrooms but the food was nice and the second morning the waitress was lovely and yes there were mushrooms. This hotel 'could be' really special, the location is beautiful but that seems to be what you are paying a premium for, as the rest is like a cheap B&B that I would expect to pay a fraction of the price for.

• Stayed September 2010
17 Thank pink828

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Polish first
MK
Reviewed August 14, 2010

I have not stayed at the Tynycornel but have dined there for many years.
Before my most recent visit I had heard locally that the standards had declined, but I thought I would check for myself.
Visited for a lunch time meal and was very disappointed.
The food was of poor standard, veg undercooked to the point of raw, fish small and overcooked.
Didn't have the the time to send it back but complained on paying.
The young waitress said she would tell the chef, but no apology was offered.
Had to ask what they were going to take off the bill to get a reduction which was agreed by the senior waitress/receptionist. Still no apology.
Will not be returning under this management.

• Stayed June 2010
21 Thank tg7812
rugby
Reviewed June 16, 2010

My friend and I had a wonderful time at this hotel it is very very comfortable and the staff are very friendly and helpfull The food is excellent I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and would certainly go back

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
midlands
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Lovely lakeside location with fishing available. Great for a quiet off-peak romantic get-away, but doubtless very busy in high-season Perfect for walkers. Amazing views .

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed December 29, 2009

I've just returned from a Christmas break and can thoroughly recommend the Tynycornel Hotel. I stayed in a superior room, which was excellent, but the standard rooms are quite nice too. The restaurant serves delicious food throughout the day, (and finding anywhere locally to match the quality is not easy), so I would suggest that all visitors take the Dinner, Bed & Breakfast option. I noticed some less satisfied reviews before my visit but, if there were any problems previously, the Hotel's new manager & head-chef are now delivering the required standards. I was also impressed by the friendly attitude of the various staff members I met. Tynycornel Hotel: book this hotel with confidence - it's excellent!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Manchester
Reviewed November 28, 2009

We have been going to the Tyncornel Hotel for the past few years and have just returned from the stunning views and surroundings..

When booking, I was dealt with in a more than welcoming and professional manner and was advised to stay in a family room as I have a 4yr old and a one yr old, not forgetting the family pooch.

When arriving, I was pleased to be roomed by staff and asked what time we would like dinner.

On arrival in our family room, we were more than surprised by the amount of space we had in our family room (with a family of 4 we have experienced box sized rooms), a living room, 2 bedrooms, bathroom, fantastic.. it was very clean, cosy and just what we needed for a winters stay.

The food in the restaurant was a good choice, served prompt, hot as was the breakfast the following day, absolutely faultless. They were also MORE than accomodating for the children who both had meals and breakfast and stayed and ate for free.

The following day, the Chef actually took the children to feed the trouts in the lake, it was more than enjoyable!!!

An absolute overall enjoyable stay had by all of us, including the dog, and we will certainly be going back..!!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Cheshire
Reviewed November 3, 2009

We've just returned from a weekend break at this hotel, and after reading the previous reports I was very aprehensive as it was a birthday treat! I neednt have worried. We arrived late afternoon and the friendly receptionist took details before showing us to a lovely room set around a courtyard with views over the lake. It was modern, clean and welcoming. A lovely warm bathroom with plenty of clean towels, a large bath / shower and toiletries etc was extremly welcome after a days walking up Cadair Idris. We had reserved dinner in the restuarant and again after reading previous reviews were corncered about what might be on offer - We neednt have been - not only the usual menu but a seperate vegetarian menu WITH PLENTY OF CHOICES!!! Courteous staff took our order whilst we enjoyed a drink in the lounge area. We were then shown through to a beatufully presented resturant and shortly afterwards served our meal. How any reviewer can say "canteen food" is beyond me - it was superb, hot, well presented and ultimatly tasted lovely and it was nice to have fresh iced water on the table without having to ask! Our waiter (a young man) was attentive and polite and knowledgebly answered any questions we had about the food. (Compliments to the chef please)
Breakfast the next day was also served in the same manner with plenty of choice and excellent service again. A late check out at 11am gave us plenty of time to enjoy a leisurely breakfast (and wait for the rain to clear a little!) Well done Tynycornel Hotel, you deserve a pat on the back, you're staff were lovely, the hotel was a gem in a superb location and the food wonderful. Will be returning !!! You deserve much more than 3 stars!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tal-y-llyn
Penmaenuchaf Hall
#4 of 5 in Tal-y-llyn
George III Hotel
George III Hotel
#1 of 1 in Penmaenpool

Been to T'yn y Cornel Hotel? Share your experiences!