“Gone Downhill Rapidly”

T'yn y Cornel Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Tal-y-llyn B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 14, 2010

I have not stayed at the Tynycornel but have dined there for many years.
Before my most recent visit I had heard locally that the standards had declined, but I thought I would check for myself.
Visited for a lunch time meal and was very disappointed.
The food was of poor standard, veg undercooked to the point of raw, fish small and overcooked.
Didn't have the the time to send it back but complained on paying.
The young waitress said she would tell the chef, but no apology was offered.
Had to ask what they were going to take off the bill to get a reduction which was agreed by the senior waitress/receptionist. Still no apology.
Will not be returning under this management.

• Stayed: June 2010
21  Thank tg7812
There are newer reviews for T'yn y Cornel Hotel

Reviewed June 16, 2010

My friend and I had a wonderful time at this hotel it is very very comfortable and the staff are very friendly and helpfull The food is excellent I would thoroughly recommend this hotel and would certainly go back

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Lovely lakeside location with fishing available. Great for a quiet off-peak romantic get-away, but doubtless very busy in high-season Perfect for walkers. Amazing views .

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2009

I've just returned from a Christmas break and can thoroughly recommend the Tynycornel Hotel. I stayed in a superior room, which was excellent, but the standard rooms are quite nice too. The restaurant serves delicious food throughout the day, (and finding anywhere locally to match the quality is not easy), so I would suggest that all visitors take the Dinner, Bed & Breakfast option. I noticed some less satisfied reviews before my visit but, if there were any problems previously, the Hotel's new manager & head-chef are now delivering the required standards. I was also impressed by the friendly attitude of the various staff members I met. Tynycornel Hotel: book this hotel with confidence - it's excellent!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 28, 2009

We have been going to the Tyncornel Hotel for the past few years and have just returned from the stunning views and surroundings..

When booking, I was dealt with in a more than welcoming and professional manner and was advised to stay in a family room as I have a 4yr old and a one yr old, not forgetting the family pooch.

When arriving, I was pleased to be roomed by staff and asked what time we would like dinner.

On arrival in our family room, we were more than surprised by the amount of space we had in our family room (with a family of 4 we have experienced box sized rooms), a living room, 2 bedrooms, bathroom, fantastic.. it was very clean, cosy and just what we needed for a winters stay.

The food in the restaurant was a good choice, served prompt, hot as was the breakfast the following day, absolutely faultless. They were also MORE than accomodating for the children who both had meals and breakfast and stayed and ate for free.

The following day, the Chef actually took the children to feed the trouts in the lake, it was more than enjoyable!!!

An absolute overall enjoyable stay had by all of us, including the dog, and we will certainly be going back..!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2009

We've just returned from a weekend break at this hotel, and after reading the previous reports I was very aprehensive as it was a birthday treat! I neednt have worried. We arrived late afternoon and the friendly receptionist took details before showing us to a lovely room set around a courtyard with views over the lake. It was modern, clean and welcoming. A lovely warm bathroom with plenty of clean towels, a large bath / shower and toiletries etc was extremly welcome after a days walking up Cadair Idris. We had reserved dinner in the restuarant and again after reading previous reviews were corncered about what might be on offer - We neednt have been - not only the usual menu but a seperate vegetarian menu WITH PLENTY OF CHOICES!!! Courteous staff took our order whilst we enjoyed a drink in the lounge area. We were then shown through to a beatufully presented resturant and shortly afterwards served our meal. How any reviewer can say "canteen food" is beyond me - it was superb, hot, well presented and ultimatly tasted lovely and it was nice to have fresh iced water on the table without having to ask! Our waiter (a young man) was attentive and polite and knowledgebly answered any questions we had about the food. (Compliments to the chef please)
Breakfast the next day was also served in the same manner with plenty of choice and excellent service again. A late check out at 11am gave us plenty of time to enjoy a leisurely breakfast (and wait for the rain to clear a little!) Well done Tynycornel Hotel, you deserve a pat on the back, you're staff were lovely, the hotel was a gem in a superb location and the food wonderful. Will be returning !!! You deserve much more than 3 stars!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 16, 2009

We have been visiting The Tynycornel Hotel since 2001 and at my last visit for my birthday we were sadly very disappointed. As others have stated the change of Ownership/Management has seen this haven turn into a shambles.
Poorly stocked wine cellar, and the food well it was jsu like 'CANTEEN FOOD' not in the least worth the premium you pay for the Dinner option.
WHOEVER OWNS THIS HOTEL PLEASE WAKE UP! YOU HAVE A GOLDMINE AND ALL YOU ARE DOING IS KILLING THE PLACE. Thank god for Halo Ice cream!
Graham Clark

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
19  Thank Clarkie1958
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tal-y-llyn
Penmaenuchaf Hall
Penmaenuchaf Hall
#1 of 1 in Penmaenpool
Plas Dolmelynllyn Hall Hotel
Penhelig Arms
Penhelig Arms
#2 of 3 in Aberdyfi (Aberdovey)
Wynnstay Hotel
Wynnstay Hotel
#2 of 3 in Machynlleth
The Old Rectory on the Lake
Dolffanog Fach
Dolffanog Fach
#2 of 5 in Tal-y-llyn

Been to T'yn y Cornel Hotel? Share your experiences!