“rita paul and sue”

Gwesty Minffordd Hotel
Ranked #4 of 5 Tal-y-llyn B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 8, 2013

i travelled with my son and daughter who had stayed before nothing to much trouble for this excellent host comfortable rooms good hot showers hot tasty well presented food fast efficient service pleasant company in the bar on the two evenings we stayed stunning location and good parking would arrange to stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Minffordd, Owner at Gwesty Minffordd Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Rita Paul & Sue

thank you very much for leaving your positive review about your recent stay with us here on trip-advisor, we are all really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you all back again soon.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We travelled in a group cycling from Severn Bridge to Menai Straits Bridge. We were very pleased to see this hotel set in a stunning location at the foot of Cadair Idris. It is also downhill for the last mile after a long climb on the bike, with a warm welcome from our host, and a tasty dinner and well stocked bar. I hope to return there to stop a little longer next time as there is a lot to do nearby, rooms comfortable and a relaxed welcoming atmosphere - a good get away location

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Minffordd, Manager at Gwesty Minffordd Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Thank you very much for leaving your positive review about your recent stay with us here on trip-advisor, we are all really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you all back again soon.

ps we also agree with you about the stunning location that Minffordd is set, in this stunning steep sided valley at the base of Cader Idris

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed here due to the fact of its location at the base of Cadair Idris,a mountain i've been looking to climb and explore for a while. I couldn't have made a better choice ! The setting, the rooms, the food were all spot on. Sitting in the lounge with a cold beer in front of the fire after a day on the mountain was a welcome plus for me ! The owner Gordon was a welcoming host, nothing any bother. I liked it here so much i extended my stay by an extra night. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and i for one will be making a return visit.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Kwakaman

thank you very much for leaving your positive review about your recent stay with us here on trip-advisor, we are all really glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We recently stayed at the Gwesty Minffordd hotel at the foot of Cader Idris. We were greeted by the proprietor in a warm and friendly manner. Unfortunately this was the warmest part of our stay - the room, though perfectly adequate was cold, and our radiators and heated towel rail had been turned off despite knowing we would be returning mid afternoon from our walk.

The food was fine and made the overall value of the trip better, but the choice on the menu is limited.

The overall feel of the place is that it has seen better days but for getting to Cader Idris, it is in the absolute perfect location. Just take extra clothes and nightwear!

Room Tip: Rooms are quiet - even those alongside the road - its not a busy route
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Footiepair
Minffordd, Owner at Gwesty Minffordd Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review here on TA, I would like to comment on a few issues you have mentioned in your review.

Through your review you regularly mention “We” as far as I am aware you were alone during your entire stay. You mention that the room was cold; this is one area where we are very keen on making sure the hotel is nice and warm for guest comfort. We did not intentionally turn off your towel rail if we did I am sorry but all you had to do was flick the switch, we certainly did not turn off any radiators in your room during your stay, If you wanted the room warmer you could have adjusted the radiator temperature via the dial on the radiator, if this was still an issue you could have informed me during your stay so we could rectify the problem one way or another, we cannot rectify problems or issues guest have when they have checked out.

As for us knowing when you would return later in the day how can we possibly know that ? You walked up cader idris one of snowdonia largest mountains this takes some people 5 hours, some people 10 hours and some give up after only a few hours.

I am glad your enjoyed your meals during your stay which included a free 2 course meal each day of your 2 days as part of our special offer we ran at the time. You had a choice of 4 starters & 4 main courses with extra dishes made available to you each day thereafter, we are sorry you found this menu to be limited. Generally our menu consists of around 12 main courses for those who are not on a free meal deal again with extra dishes offered on a daily basis.

The building is over 450 years old and constant maintenance s required to keep things tidy, all bedrooms have been completely refurbed over the last 2 years. The downstairs lounges, bar & restaurant maybe rustic & original but we like to think in a very good state of repair. The exterior gets re-painted every 2 years and is due to be done as soon as the weather improves, all outside signs are due to be replaced in the coming months.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here specifically so I could walk the Minffordd path to the summit of Cadair Idris, an ambition of mine for some years. Location was absolutely perfect, stunning views in all directions and literally yards from the foot of the mountain. My wife, who is an artist, spent the weekend painting, and was inspired by the scenery of the surrounding area. Exactly what we needed.

Food was excellent on both evenings we stayed, as were the breakfasts. Not a huge menu, but that's fine. I'd rather have a few meals, superbly-cooked. Which these were.

Inside the hotel is clearly very old and 'rustic', but was very clean and well maintained. The room was very comfortable and the bathroom spotless. The shower was a little tempramental, but this was a consequence of water-pressure, not a maintenance issue, and didn't cause a problem. Room was a little warm for my tastes, but I do like things on the colder side. Adjusting the radiator soon fixed that.
The owner was very attentive. I notice some reviewers regard this as a negative. Personally it was I would expect from a small privately-run establishment. If I want anonymous faceless service, I can stay in a motorway chain hotel.

Likewise the complaints about mobile phone signal. This is one of the most beautiful and unspoilt parts of the country, surrounded by mountains, and yet people complain about the phone reception? Words fail me.

Above all, the hotel's greatest assest is the fantastic mountain that sits pretty much in it's back-garden. Often over-looked by people racing to get to the big peaks of Snowdon, Cadair Idris is perhaps Wales' most spectacular and wildest mountain.

If you get the chance, walk up it. And when you do, the Minffordd hotel is the perfect base.

Will we be back?

Definitely.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 6, which was lovely, with views of the surrounding hills.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndyC352
Minffordd, Owner at Gwesty Minffordd Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review of your stay with us here at Minffordd here on TripAdvisor. We are really happy that you enjoyed your stay. Myself, my wife Michelle & chef Darren really do appreciate your comments & feedback of your stay.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

this hotel is a " GEM " the food is of a very high standard, the room we stayed in was exellent with attention to guest comfort clean and very tidy, I liked the fact there was no tv in the room it gave us a chance to interact with some nice people in the lounge, the host was ace, made sure we always had a drink, i never had to go to the bar once,

********** Dont change a thing ************

Dave & Di

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Minffordd, Owner at Gwesty Minffordd Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review of your stay with us here on TripAdvisor. We are really happy that you enjoyed your stay here at Minffordd. Myself, Michelle & chef Darren really do appreciate your comments & feedback of your stay & we hope to welcome you to Minffordd in the near future.

Reviewed August 19, 2012

I stayed here for one night in August following "Race the Train" in Tywyn. The hotel is set amongst the hills about 10 miles from Tywyn, so although fairly secluded was in easy striking distance of the coast and many local attractions. I was given a friendly greeting on arrival and felt relaxed and at home from the moment I walked through the door.

The hotel is a little quirky and full of character which I thought was rather charming. My room was no 6 which is a reasonably spacious double that is decorated and furnished in a modern style. The bed was very comfortable which was much appreciated after a gruelling 14 miles of cross country running. The room had a large en-suite bathroom with a bath/shower and there was plenty of hot water. There are no televisions in the guest rooms which was fine for me but there is WIFI access at the hotel and I could use my smart phone and laptop OK - If you are desperate to watch TV you could always download an appropriate app to your smart phone and watch something over the internet.

Breakfast was fantastic and I definitely recommend the full cooked breakfast. This was freshly prepared with good quality ingredients and served on a hot plate.

Due to the beautiful surrounding hills I guess that this hotel would be ideal for walkers and would make an excellent base for a cycling holiday. I did not try and use public transport so I am not sure what options are available but the hotel is a little way away from civilisation so ideally you would need a car or bicycle to get to one of the local towns. I did however notice a couple of buses going past the hotel so presumably it is on a bus route.

I left the hotel feeling relaxed and well looked after and will certainly stay here again next time I am in the area.

Room Tip: Room 6 was at the back of the hotel away from the road.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tal-y-llyn
Penmaenuchaf Hall
Dolffanog Fach
Dolffanog Fach
#2 of 5 in Tal-y-llyn
The Old Rectory on the Lake

Been to Gwesty Minffordd Hotel? Share your experiences!