Gwesty Minffordd Hotel
White Lion Hotel(Machynlleth)
Brackenhurst House(Fairbourne)
Bae Abermaw(Barmouth)
View Hotel
All reviewssmall barmach loopcader idrispleasant companylow beamsgames roomphone receptionsourced locallywould stay here againplenty of hot waterno mobile phone signalperfect locationstayed here for nightscooked to perfectionlittle gemgordonhost
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 31, 2012

"Views over Cader Idris"... no views, nothing, just looks at bottom of hill. "Complimentary toiletries"... they had prices on to pay for around the wash basin, not free. "Standard TV service"... no TV in the room, but this strange comment led me to think there was a TV, there was not. Hotel manager too talkative... just wanted to rest in my room tired, but just being friendly I guess. More run down than what I saw on main hotel web site. Location... beautiful area. Hotel was shut when I got there..no notice in window to say what was happening for guests.. had to drive away and come back later. No mobile reception... also very poor radio reception. Inside the hotel was clean and tidy and welcoming, rustic charm, comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Go_Travel_Fun_12
Minffordd, Owner at Gwesty Minffordd Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Thanks for your review I would like to comment on a few parts of your review. Cader Idris is literally in our back Garden, rooms have views up & down the valley and surrounding area & mountains opposite the hotel so I don’t understand your comments about no views, we don’t claim any particular view, but most people agree with us that the area is stunning. We have also never claimed that we do have TV, we have deliberately omitted these from all rooms. You mentioned our luxury toiletries, these are totally free to all guests there are ample supplied in each room for a few nights stay, Extras if need can be purchased. We don’t believe the hotel is run down at all, the original parts are over 450 years old so its rustic rather than new & modern, we are glad you mentioned that Inside “the hotel was clean and tidy and welcoming, rustic charm, comfortable” that is exactly how we like it to be. We are also glad you like the area. Unfortunately we can do nothing about radio or mobile signal that is the downside to living rural.

Guest can check in from 2pm we were actually 5 mins later back from an hospital appointment and are very sorry that we was not back in time to greet you.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Had to stay here after reading some of the reviews!!!
My experience was pretty good. Room was fine, good power shower (v.important after you've flogged up to Cwm Cau and beyond.
And the location, just near the foot of the Cem Cau path is good too.
Didn't dine here as I was helping my little brother celebrate his big Six-O down at the Railway in Abergynolwyn, but breakfast was outstanding.
Will definitely stay again when we have the time - Must do the Circuit from Minfordd.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Minffordd, Owner at Gwesty Minffordd Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your stay with us here at Minffordd. We really appreciate it and are extremely glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to possibly welcoming you back hopefully in the not to distances future.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

We booked for two nights but left after one. Someone else has said in another review that Gordon gave them a little too much attention - I know what they mean! We'd driven for four hours and just wanted to relax with a beer. Our room was cold and damp so we went into the lounge. The fire had a few embers and the lounge was freezing. It's not like they didn't know we were coming. We couldn't sit and relax and have a conversation because the owner was there all the time telling us his life story. We found the whole experience a bit creepy.
On the second day when we returned from our walk, our room was even colder than the first day - the heating wasn't on at all. We decided we weren't going to sit with our coats on, and we couldn't endure another evening in the lounge, so we left. When we arrived home some of our clothes had the odour of damp fusty rooms.
To make this B & B worth the £90 per night, it needs some warmth and a little less attention from the owner. As it is, it's not worth the money.

I will end on a positive note though, the breakfast was nice.

Room Tip: The photos are decpetive. The rooms look massive, but the camera must have been placed in the corner on a wide angle setting.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Derek T
Minffordd, Owner at Gwesty Minffordd Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2012

I totally disagree that the hotel & bedrooms are either cold nor damp. Each rooms has individually controlled radiators, that we check prior to guest arrival to make sure they are on full to keep rooms warm. I have only ever had 2 complaints from guest being cold in 1o years yourselves and another guest who had decided to turn their room’s radiator off.

The central heating is on full time during the cold winter months as Minffordd is a 400+ year old stone building and does take a lot to keep it warm. Our two lounges do also have radiators and 1 also has a log fires and the other an electric imitation wood burner. These fires are on from around lunchtime until late evening.

I do like to chat to our guest thats what makes us informal & friendly which most guest seem to enjoy and come back for year after year. if I ever get the feeling guest do not wish to chat then I leave them to their own devices, when I am getting positive feedback from guest and we engage in conversations then I will stay around a little longer. I am sorry if you found that I was over chatty, I must have miss understood the situation.

I just wish you would have mentioned that you was cold or had issues with your room during your stay at the time so I could addressed the situation, work out why you thought your room was cold, maybe provide you extra portable heater or even moved you to another room

I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast.

Reviewed August 30, 2011

It's unusual to write a review without actually staying at the hotel in question. However we did visit here for food after a very long walk up/down Cadair Idris. So we cannot comment on the accommodation.

The hotel itself is pretty small. With only about 8 rooms so if you are in the area and want to eat here then you really do have to book.

As we entered we were greeted by Gordon who showed us to the public bar as he prepared our table. Here is a veritable smorgasbord of bottled Welsh beer, ciders and other spirits. Pretty pricey though at £3 ish for a bottle of real ale. However Gordon appeared to know everything you ever wanted to know about them which made the experience worth it. After a few minutes looking at the menu I plumped for the Minffordd burger and my Girlfriend chose the pie.

As we sat there we noticed people arriving and then being turned away. This was strange because there didn't appear to be that many people actually dining.

After a short wait we were shown to our table in a nice cosy dining room. Bread was brought to the table together with a jug of water and more beer was ordered. Considering that Gordon was the only guy serving and looking after the bar and reception, the service was pretty damn quick. The food arrived, piping hot with pretty good presentation.

I have to say that the food was bloody excellent. Just what we needed after a cold day on the mountain. The pie was brim full of meat and gravy with a puff pastry top and the burger was tasty. Deserts were just as good. With the Bread and butter pudding finishing me off.

All in all the food side of the hotel was what you would expect from a good pub. Service was great with a nice host and really nice beer and comfortable surroundings. Just what you need when you are camping up the road in the rain and mud. However I would say that the prices charged he are slightly higher than you would expect.

Would I stay there? Probably not as we prefer camping in Wales. However if we ever walk up Cadair Idris again then we will definitely be visiting this place again for food.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank Quinndexter
Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stopped off at this hotel to ask whether they would warm our 8 week old baby's bottle however we was met at the door by a short temped man who sharpley asked what we wanted and quickly stated that the cheif was using the microwaves, extremely unhelpful and outright unhospitable despite the children welcome sign!! We stopped off further along the road at the little chef where we recieved the hospitality and helpful welcome you would expect.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
16  Thank Pete800
Minffordd, Owner at Gwesty Minffordd Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2011

Thank you for your leaving your very untruthful review that you have left us. On the day in question we were extremely busy as usual, i did not refuse to warm you bottle, neither have we ever done for anyone with similar request in the last 10 years of being here at Minffordd.

If i remember correctly you rather rudely shoved a bottle virtually in my face while i had my hands full with plates of food i was taking into my restaurant. Regardless & as above i never refused your request.

You was told if you can hold on a short while i will get chef to warm the bottle as per your request. I always have & always will give my guests priority service over non guest like yourselves especially if i feel you have attitude issues.