“The Old Rectory changed - for the better”

The Old Rectory on the Lake
Ranked #1 of 5 Tal-y-llyn B&B and Inns
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
“The Old Rectory changed - for the better”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

A year has passed and here I am - visiting The Old Rectory again.

I was pleasantly suprised by the changes of the interior of the house after a refurbisment. I slept in the Talyllyn room and even that - although the smallest room in the house - now has a an airy and fresh feel with vibrant colors of pillows and wallpapers just as the big rooms upstairs. Mercifully, Ricky and John have not changed and are still providing almost michelin star meals and great hospitality respectively. Newly, my room was made up every day without me asking for it, which was nice.

Now the photographer in me would like to share some pictures with you...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank jkl-cz
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
It was great to see you again and thanks for reviewing us for a third time - mercifully with good comments! We are pleased that you approve of the changes we have made to our home since you stayed with us a year ago and thanks for the kind comments regarding both of us. We trust that you have a great holiday in Greece with your girlfriend and we truly appreciate you sharing those pictures you took during your week here. We now have over five hundred images posted by other guests which is remarkable.
Our kindest regards, John and Ricky.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Hebrew first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This is a difficult review to write. Good location, in a tranquil spot overlooking the lake - a little difficult to find.
We arrived about 7.30pm - obviously a busy time for the owners as they were in the middle of serving dinner, felt rather a nuisance, were offered a drink, told where our room was, with no offer to help with luggage etc.
Am aware that this B&B has amazing reviews so I find it difficult to differ but being an avid traveller, having stayed in many B&B's throughout the world, feel I have to give an honest, unbiased review.
Our room was large, clean and had good views across the lake and fells beyond. Bed was comfortable and good quality bedding and towels. The bathroom was huge, nicely furnished with attention to detail. Unfortunately the shower was broken, which we did report.
The food in the restaurant was good and nicely presented. The wine was good and not too expensive. There was a good breakfast menu and efficient service.
All sounds good I admit. But several things let the place down. I have never stayed in a B&B where the room isn't serviced, you have to make your own bed! Cups not washed, tea making facilities not replenished. There was no real atmosphere. Everything felt slightly rehearsed with no real feeling. The gardens were overgrown and the hot-tub area was slightly shabby. Something was lacking.
Can't put my finger on it - but for an expensive weekend, at almost £500 for two nights with dinner, we are unlikely to return.
I also didn't like being asked to put a review on Trip Advisor.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
We were greatly concerned to read that you were not happy with your stay with us - so much so that it’s unlikely that you will ever return. This is why we ask guests if they will leave a TripAdvisor review so we can pick up on anything untoward especially if they do not mention anything at all on checking out. If you would care to contact us direct we would like to refund you any money you deem appropriate as it is obvious you felt you did not receive the experience or indeed the value you were expecting here at The Old Rectory on the lake.
Thanks for taking the time to leave this review which we do take seriously and apologise profusely that you did not enjoy your time here.
Our best wishes, John and Ricky – joint owners.
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2013

The location of this establishment is outstanding. It is unbelievably peaceful and beautiful. It is immediately beside the lake and mountain.
We prefer not to go out again to find somewhere to eat in the evening and this frequently excludes B&B's. This is different, because a very high quality dinner, with drinks, is available in the delightful dining room which also has the full benefit of the view.
Our hosts were very welcoming and helpful, particularly with regard to our route planning the following day. Frankly, their advice made it !!
You will not regret visiting The Old Rectory.on the lake.

Room Tip: If you can, try not to leave booking to the last minute. If you do, you may be disappointed !
1 Thank Brian G
We really appreciate you taking the time to leave this review and we were pleased that we were able to accommodate you at such notice. It was an utter delight to meet you both and thanks for the kind comments regarding your evening dining experience in our Orangery overlooking the lake. I am glad too that you found my advice for your onward journey to Lampeter useful - the route I suggested is indeed delightful.
We hope to welcome you here again. In the meantime I send you both my best wishes - John, joint owner.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

My sister and I spent last weekend in the Rectory Retreat at The Old Rectory. I have been several times with different members of my family and with friends and never tire of this place John and Ricky are superb hosts and always make me very welcome. The place is beautiful, the views of the lake are stunning its just a lovely place to be. Ricky's food just gets better and better if that's possible, his breakfasts are great and his evening meals are to die for.

It is a very special tranquil place and I will go back again as soon as I can.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a view of the lake and are beautiful, I especially like the Rectory Retreat as it...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ann B
Ann, it is always good to welcome you and your family to The Old Rectory on the lake and indeed we look forward greatly to your visits. I will pass on your kind comments regarding his food to Ricky - it will make his day! We will continue to look after your parents' bench for you and we are pleased to report that many a guest enjoy just quietly sitting there looking out over the lake - with a drink in hand it is even more magical!
Our kindest regards, John - joint owner
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Wow, wow, wow!! Located in a tranquil spot, this B&B has truly breath-taking views.
Despite staying during the hottest week so far in the UK, the B&B owners, John & Ricky, were very friendly and attentive.
We dined in the restaurant most evenings and Ricky’s food was absolutely superb - he has a natural talent and could easily give top chefs a run for their money. Ricky’s chocolate fondant in particular was to die for – as soon as my spoon went in, out oozed a river of gorgeous melted chocolate!!
Overall we loved our stay at this B&B so much that we are already planning our next visit :o) Thank you John & Ricky for making our 4 days at your B&B so memorable.

2 Thank g_and_h_keane
Wow, thanks for this review and I am so glad that you enjoyed your four days with us and that my chocolate fondant surprise hit the right spot! Your comments regarding my cooking are really appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you both back again to Tal-y-llyn.
My best wishes, Ricky - chef and joint owner
Cheshire
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My partner and I have just returned from an overnight break at The Old Rectory on The Lake and I can't praise the whole experience highly enough. John and Ricky are welcoming hosts and have made over this lovely old house over sympahetically. The result is a luxurious stay in an idyllic location with terrific food prepared by Ricky from fresh, local ingredients. We chose to take dinner as well as breakfast and both were fantastic. Dining takes place in the orangery which is light, airy and atmospheric, with great views over the lake. The excellent service is an admirable complement.

There are plenty of options for outdoor seating, allowing you to drink in the views of the changing light over the lake as the sun goes down. We chose to watch it all from the end of the short jetty at the front of the house: perfect!

We stayed in Mynydd Rugog, which is a lovely room overlooking the lake at the front, with a spacious, well appointed ensuite bathroom which has a side view of the lake. The room is tastefully decorated and many little extra touches show how muchthought has gone into the preparation by our hosts. The bathroom is amazing, free-standing bath and separate shower and really deserves its own photo in the gallery!

In summary, and as I said in the review title, The Old Rectory on The Lake is a triumph! We both thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience and sincerely hope to return soon. We left happy and relaxed (even without trying out the outdoor hot tub!) and for me, Idris the feral and laid-back puss who lives in the grounds, was an absolute bonus!

Room Tip: Mynydd Rugog - a lovely room with front view of the lake from the room and side view from the fabulo...
2 Thank Kirsty B
Snowdoniatraveller, I am The Old Rectory on the lake's cat! at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
John and Ricky have asked me to respond to this as you kindly give me a mention at the end! What a detailed and considered review and I am so pleased that you found The Old Rectory on the lake to be the cat's whiskers!
In summary - a purrfect review.
Idris - The Old Rectory on the lake's (not so feral now!) cat
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had lovely time at the Old ractory Tal-y-llyn
Best possible view you will have from a B&B in youe life
rooms were nice
brakefast was nice
we had dinner and it was nice food also
the place is located in the senter of Snowdon forest and its good as a center location for this reagion
RECOMENDED

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank RanV_12
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Hello to you in Tel Aviv and it was great to meet you and your delightful family. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I really appreciated the late night conversations with you all about your country and lifestyle. It was utterly fascinating. You know where we are if any of you ever visit Wales again!
Kind regards, John - joint owner.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tal-y-llyn
Penmaenuchaf Hall
Pandy Isaf Country House Bed & Breakfast
Pen-y-Bont Hotel
Pen-y-Bont Hotel
#5 of 5 in Tal-y-llyn

Been to The Old Rectory on the Lake? Share your experiences!