“A very special place with lovely hosts”

The Old Rectory on the Lake
Ranked #1 of 5 Tal-y-llyn B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have been to the Old Rectory a few times now because it is such a wonderful place. The lake is beautiful, the views are stunning and the welcome is wonderful. All the rooms are excellent with beautiful bathrooms, fluffy towels, toiletries and even chocs to welcome you. John and Ricky are wonderful hosts and Ricky's food is to die for. My Mom, who passed away in November 2010, loved the lake and the Old Rectory so much that I asked John and Ricky if I could have a bench in their garden in memory of her and my father. They agreed and my family and two special friends went to the Old Rectory September 21st to spend the weekend there. I saw the bench for the first time when we arrived, it was beautiful, solid oak (I must thank Classic Garden Furniture of Lathom, Lancashire who made the bench, they were brilliant from start to finish - a pleasure to deal with). The bench sits facing the lake and I hope that future guests will sit on it and enjoy the lake like my parents did. John and Ricky gave us all a glass of champagne to 'toast the bench' before supper. We had a wonderful weekend and as always time went too fast. I could go on all day how wonderful this place is, and now my sons and their partners love it too and I know we will all return time and time again.

3  Thank yboran_12
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

My apologies for the delay in responding to this very kind review but I actually wanted to spend some quality time sitting on the bench you have given us in memory of your parents. As we have been very busy it was not until yesterday that I got that chance. It was a marvellous autumnal day and the lake was perfectly still. The reflections were just perfect and the view across to the magnificent crags opposite was as always utterly breath taking. We - like your parents - just love this location and we can assure you and your family that we will treasure that special bench. I know many of our guests will really apprecaite it now being there.
Our kindest regards, John - joint owner.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband, daughter and I have just returned home for a wonderful 2 nights stay at the Rectory - we loved it! A warm welcome, lovely comfortable room - and a fabulous breakfast - I would strongly recommend the scrambled eggs and smoked salmon. John and Ricky gave us a very warm welcome and their local knowledge was brilliant. The whole area is stunning and the view from the rectory is amazing. Annie loved meeting Marian and we all hope to return some time soon. Highly recommended!

Robyn, Rowan and Annie, NZ by way of Wales

3  Thank R0byn1
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Thanks for coming up from south Wales to stay in our Rectory Retreat and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your weekend with us. Marian sends her bleatings to Annie and we look forward to meeting you all again - that's if you do not decide to go back to New Zealand and resume your life there! Thanks so much for taking the time to post this.
John, Ricky and Marian - residents of The Old Rectory on the lake!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

This was our second visit to the picturesque rectory- and once again we were thrilled with the quality of the service we received
John, Ricki, and Jacob(not forgetting Marian,Cader and Idris!!) all made us feel very special.
This time we stayed in the retreat and were delighted with the spacious accomodation and excellent self catering facilities (large fridge, cooker,cupboards, etc).
On opening the curtains,the view of the beautiful Whelsh mountains stretching away from the tranquil lake was a sight indelibly etched in our minds.

We were there for a very special occasion and know that John and Ricky made sure all our wishes were accommodated.
The food (locally sourced)was superbly cooked to individual requirements. Members of our party all tried something different and no-one was disappointed!!

It is so refreshing to spend time with hosts who clearly love what they are doing and where nothing is too much trouble.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JWYWirral
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2012

You had a great weekend - and so did we! The Old Rectory on the lake is being booked more and more for house parties and they are really great fun. We so enjoyed meeting you all and it was a our pleasure to ensure that everyone had a memorable time. You are right, we do enjoy what we are doing here at Talyllyn but it's the guests who make it all happen too. I am pleased to report that even as I write this two people are sitting on that special seat looking out over the lake and enjoying the late afternoon autumn sunshine.
My best wishes, John - joint owner.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed here along with his family in September. My mum in law had arranged for a bench to be installed in the grounds just beside the lake in memory of her parents (my husband's grandparents) who loved Talyllyn and The Old Rectory. With this in mind, I knew the place would be wonderful, but I found it exceeded all of my expectations. We were warmly and welcomed by John, Ricky and Jacob who were perfect hosts going above and beyond to make our stay perfect. My husband and I stayed in the Mynydd Rugog room which overlooked lush landscapes and rolling hills surrounding the lake. A most beautiful sight to wake up to. I was truly captivated. The room itself was exquisite. Everything had been thought of; a well stocked hospitality tray, huge fluffy bath towels, a selection of luxurious toiletries, plenty of storage space and little touches such as the complimentary chocolates and a set of binoculars just added to the personal, thoughtful service the owners provide. Needless to say, the room was immaculate and the bathroom with its free standing bath was heaven - I spent two glorious hours there! We also had the pleasure of dining at The Old Rectory which was a marvellous experience. Ricky is the most amazing cook, serving sumptuous, delectable dishes with ease. If you want fine dining, you will not be disappointed. I am still dreaming of that Crème Brulee..Finally I would like to thank John, Ricky and Jacob for making what was such a significant place to my mum in law even more special and I hope future guests of the Old Rectory will take a seat on the bench and appreciate the lake as much as her parents did.
x

1  Thank Sarah B
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

What an amazing review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay here with us so much. We were so pleased that we were able to grant your mother in law's request and it goes without saying that we will look after the seat. I am sure many will enjoy sitting on it and looking out across the lake and simply marvelling at the incredible views that we are blessed with here at Talyllyn.
We send all your family our best wishes, John and Ricky - joint owners.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

A great find, sourced via Trip Advisor and Alistair Sawday and all the recommendations are good. a delightful place surrounded by amazing mountains and a mesmerising
lake. Looked out for the otter but not seen by us this time, watching the fishermen was interesting and the ever changing conditions outside. John was welcoming and enthusiastic, understandably so the whole place is a delight. The room was lovely, the bathroom was spacious and a great bath. Dinner was fabulous, amazing food, cooked beautifully. The hot tub after dinner was great fun!! Marian the sheep was invited to join us but she declined. A great nights sleep and a fab breakfast, could have chosen everything on the menu. Can only highly recommend a lovely escape :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dowser

I am so glad you found that we lived up to what others have written about us so far on Tripadvisor and what is published in the Alistair Sawday Special Places to Stay bed and breakfast guide - such positive exposure in both has really helped increase our bookings. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have passed on your kind comments to John.
Marion - like most sheep - only has a dip once a year and mercifully not in the hot tub!
We will speak to the otter about his non appearance - he is still here as he was spotted yesterday!
Best wishes, Ricky - joint owner and chef.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We had wanted to come and stay here for a while and were able to book for two nights midweek, during our mini-moon (that's mini honeymoon). The location is beautiful, and Ricky and John are charming hosts (and the lovely Marian, of course). John was very keen to help and suggested an excellent walk up Cadair Idris, and Ricky's food is exceptionally good.

After a relaxing dip in the hot tub on our second evening, we were delighted to hear that there had been a cancellation for the following night, which meant we could extend our stay - hurray!

All in all, a wonderful start to our married life - thank you John and Ricky.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve K
Snowdoniatraveller, Owner at The Old Rectory on the Lake, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

We are getting more and more 'mini-mooners' coming to stay with us which is so pleasing. It was so good to meet you both and thanks for your kind comments about us and of course 'the lovely Marain' who sends you her bleatings! It was great that you could spend a second night here at The Old Rectory on the lake and we all wish you the best for the rest of your married life. We hope you enjoy your honeymoon which all sounds very exciting!
John and Ricky - joint owners of a mini-moon location!

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We visited in September and had a great time. The hotel is right nestled in a vallet with hills all around. We were very lucky with the weather as we were planning on doing lots of walking. We stayed in the Rectory Retreat which is an extra part added on to the B&B which has its own little kitchen area and lovely big bathroom. It is not often that you go away and stay in a B&B/hotel that has such great bathroom space with plenty of loving big fluffy bath towels. You had lovely views straight out to the lake and hills.

We choose to do a walk up Calder Iris and aslo Snowdon. We did the Pyg track up Snowdon and Miners track down. The trails are moderate to easy I would say. There are a few parts that require a bit of harder climbing and some slight scramble as reach nearer top. When you back down if the sky is clear you get great views of the lakes. Great for photo opportunities.

We also visited Coed y Brenin Forest - good choice of both walking and cycling trails. We did the waterfall trial - recommend this.

If you like beaches go to Harlech - lovely clean beach with dunes and a castle nearby. If the sky is clear that coast line has great sunsets.

Room Tip: Choose the Rectory Retreat - more space and have option of cooking.