“First Visit”
Review of Dolffanog Fawr

Dolffanog Fawr
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tal-y-llyn
Reviewed October 2, 2012

My wife and I spent 2 nights at Dolffanog Fawr last week. Its a great place, quietly located beneath Cader Idris. The building is an intelligently refurbished and stylishly modernised farmhouse, with large tastefully fitted rooms. We had a rear room overlooking Cader and Llyn (lake) Mwyngil. It was extremely comfortable. We missed the evening meals, the hosts have a night off on Mondays, but we had fantastic breakfasts on a shared table with other guests. The hosts have a background in tourism, hospitality and catering, more of which can be read on their website, so the experience from a guests perspective was one of effortless quality; based on the hosts past experiences. If you make it there yourself, try the vegetarian black pudding! Oh and take your swimmers as there's a hot tub outside

2  Thank colindyas

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I agree with everything has already been said about this wonderful country guest house and would urge anyone considering a break in this area not to hesitate to book Dolffanog Fawr
Do not miss the evening meal. Top quality food prepared and presented in the way it should be with a wine list to match. It is a long time since I have enjoyed such consistently good food. The lovely lounge is a perfect place for pre and post dinner drinks with subtle background music to suit all tastes.
Having only stayed in larger hotels previously, I was a little concerned that I would find the atmosphere in a B&B claustrophobic and restricting, but how wrong I was.
Alex and Lorraine manage to be most welcoming hosts and yet the guests privacy is respected.
They have the knack of knowing when a little chat would be appreciated and when not.
We too enjoyed meeting the other like minded guests.
We will not hesitate to book a return visit.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally good
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights as a change from our usual break in Aberdovey. What a find! Our room was huge, we could have had a party in there. It was beautifully decorated in a calm, contemporary style with traditional Welsh fabric used for cushions and bed covers. All the furniture and fittings were top quality.

We had the evening meal on our first night which was delicious, complimented by a delicious British wine.

Alex and Lorraine are wonderful hosts and we can't wait to visit again next year.

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Difficult to express how fantastic this place is! Alex and Lorraine are so welcoming and their feeling that all guests should share a large table for meals is a real inspiration. We met some very interesting people and had some very interesting and enlightening conversations over breakfast. We had other plans for our evenings so did not partake of the evening meals but these looked fabulous.
The hot tub is another real luxury, especially after a rather damp walk up into the hills - just what the doctor ordered.

Definitely a place we would return to and will be recommending to everyone that we know!

Reviewed August 27, 2012

After a long internet trawl I found this beautiful retreat. The trip advisor reviews were spot on . We stayed for 2nights and opted for the evening meal. Our room was exceptionally comfortable and we had 2great nights sleep. The evening meal was a delight, professionally cooked and served. Alex and Lorraine provided a welcoming atmosphere and we were made to feel truly at home.
The Cader Idris climb is a must, especially when you have a good meal and a nice glass of wine waiting for you.

Room Tip: View from the back of the house stunning.
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The sign says "rather nice accomodation", this does not get close. Alex and Lorraine have a real oasis, running a stylish yet homely retreat at the foot of "the chair of idris". Wonderfully comfortable, the breakfast and evening meal were quite delicious and Alex's wine list was quite a find! With Alex's advice we took a off the beaten track route over Cadair Idris taking in the ridge to include Mynydd Moel and Pen y Gadair, when we arrived back we took adavantage of the "hot tub" to ease our aching legs, Lorraine supplying the robes and Alex providing the G & T. This was a birthday treat and one I will rememebr for a long time. Certainly we will be going back again to enjoy more of the same.

2  Thank Woodebiners
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I'm so glad we found this little gem in North Wales. I admit I wasn't sure as (being the cheap skate that I am) I was sure we could find a cheaper place. However I must say that for the welcome and hospitality we received and the comfort of the rooms (and home in general) I didn't have any problem: worth every penny and I'd go back again in a heartbeat!

The b&b is set in a breathtaking valley which looked stunning when the clouds cleared! Alex and Lorraine were even kind enough to let us use their garage to dry out quite a sodden tent and walking clothes/boots. We were made to feel more like visiting relatives than strangers.

The food. Where to start with the food. Again I thought the food was a touch pricey given I wouldn't expect anything too fancy from a b&b, but how wrong I was! The food was absolutely delicious and the 3 courses seemed almost custom served so that everyone was not over faced but left the table satisfied. An amazing feat given we were never asked of our appetite on the day! The communal dining may not be to everyone's taste but I'm confident Alex and Lorraine would accommodate if you felt uncomfortable, though we found variety of company and discussion very interesting!

Thanks again to Alex, Lorraine and of course their son Morgan!

• Stayed: July 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tal-y-llyn
Royal Oak Hotel
#3 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
Swallow Falls Hotel
Swallow Falls Hotel
#6 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Dolffanog Fawr? Share your experiences!