“Go away”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Our friends made the reservation. We arrived only to be told that no reservation existed and the chef wasn't even on duty. This was a Thursday lunch.

I'm surprised the reservation was even made as our friends told us it was the third time it had happened.

So NO, we will not be returning, this is one of those places that think they are going to reach everyone how to 'do it' and are so far up their own posteriors with their own arrogance they fail to see that they are in the business of service to the public.

I've been in the catering industry since I studied hotel administration at the Scottish Hotel School in 1960.

1  Thank christopher d
There are newer reviews for Old Vicarage

Reviewed October 12, 2011

We stayed with a group for three days, the room was spacious and nicely decorated, the staff and service were all excellent, but above all the food was delicious. Both dinner and breakfasts were all a real treat.

Reviewed August 14, 2011

On arrival it seemed that we had arrived at somebody's home. The only give away was the bar in the corner. I might even have expected it to be an honesty bar!
Just drink from the bar and a glance at the menu and we knew we were in for a great time.
The service was relaxed and yet professional.
The food was superb and time flew by. We received bountiful vegetables with our meal, so many places seem to think you want a spoonful and be thankful for that! I do not like to send food back to the kitchen but we were defeated with the large amount of fresh veg. The Dessert ( trifle) came with lashings of cream and a distinct taste of sherry. Finale was the coffee and petit fours, home made of course.
Forgot to mention the really good wine list with easy to understand descriptions that made choices easier and we went for Glasses (huge) for each person of the wine they liked. No more than a bottle of compromise.Good price as well.
Altogether an excellent Sunday lunch.

1  Thank rdwooty
Reviewed June 15, 2011

ive eaten at this resturant about 5 times, a few years ago you used to eat in the main house which was nice but could be a bit stuffy, the owners then added a huge conservatory to the rear of the building and this completly changed the dining experience. the kitchen prides itself on using the best local produce and doing as little with it as possible. this is exactly what should be done with fine ingredients and it works really well. save room for the cheese board!

Reviewed November 21, 2010

All I can say is that the prices charged were far too high for the quality of food we had.
The amouse bouche which was a soup was warm . My starter which was a pasta/pumpkin with goats cheese was poor with a thin slice of goats cheese presented uncooked in the centre of the plate. We all had beef, although I like to eat beef medium rare ours were extremely rare. Three of us had the cheese which was a disappointment as we were not able to choose what cheese we wanted. My husband enjoyed his dessert which was a panacotta. My husband wanted to treat his sister for a special meal as she had just retired but we were embarresed we chose this restaurant.