“Dont Bother”
Review of Naughty Nell's

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Shifnal
Naughty Nell's
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Shifnal
Reviewed April 30, 2010

I am not one to be overly critical as a rule, but ther were a multitude of issues with this accomodation. As has been mentioned in a previous review, the electrical test certificates were well out of date on a number of appliances, which raises the question of overall attention to safety at the property. The room was, not the cleanest, although we were told on arrival that they were expecting us, and you would assume that the room would therefore have been cleaned to a reasonable standard and prepared for occupation. The cold water tap in the bathroom was running continuously, creating the effect of Chinese water torture. Bad lighting and no mirror in the bathroom made shaving a difficult task. The room was heated by way of a radiator that could not be controlled resulting in a very warm room, opening the window resulted in quite a bit of traffic noise, although it did quieten down between approx; 24.00 & 06.00. The Breakfast, or should I say lack of, consisted of a meagre offering of fruit, cereal and bread, all of which looked as if it had past its best. To endorse this point, there was a jug of milk on the breakfast table that was not far of being cheese. My advice about this hotel, is dont bother, you can do a lot better.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank ange91
There are newer reviews for Naughty Nell's

Reviewed March 14, 2010

from the minute i walked in this fantastic building i loved it. greeted by lovely friendly staff who were very knowlegable about the history of the building and the surrounding area. after a complimentary drink we were shown to our room and was thrilled at the quirkiness of it, being a 16th century building , the upmost has been done to acheive the original features in the decor and fixtures and fittings. superb comfy bed and filling breakfast, even tho we did serve ourselves. i was only disapointed with the fact we only stayed one night. would love to go back again, and hope to very soon. thankyou sarah, paul and mark for your hospitality

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank samzachkids
Reviewed February 18, 2010

Me and my fiance booked a room bk in January this year has our 6 years together some where nice we hoped. we booked it online and discussed wat room we wadnt to have we were spoilt for choice and went for the STAR ROOM JACUZZI. I rang up after booking it online ( well thats wat i thought) and the lady said could we come @ 12 noon. We got there at 1230 myself parked up and went to check ourselves in only to be greeted with "Cleaner hasnt done the room yet can u come bk @ 2pm oh and wats the name? " ( they should of known this when i made the booking right?) So it didnt really bother me going bk because we had places to go. We went bk as the gentleman said @ 2pm, we were then greeted with oh yes come in, i asked where do i park my car he replied " We dont have a car park" so my car was parked on a housing estate all night at the back of the B&B which i thought was disgracful considering it was a B&B. We where then taken to the bar to pay our room which i thought we already paid onthe time of booking ( no not there careful guys u got to pay when u arrive). After a complimentary cup of tea and a orange juice for my partner we were shown up to our room. the building was so squeaky i thought we were going to fall through the floor boards. We got to our room (STAR ROOM JACUZZI) opended the door and saw our double bed it looked liked we were in a hot country with mosquito nets around the top of the bed it looked absoultey disgracful we then explored the room more and came into a small but nice en suite toilet and the JACUZZI which was nice, it had a few cracks and seals missing on the bath but overall it was nice. The only things we could fault with the room was the carpet was dirty and the double duvet was dirty we had to sleep with a blanket all night. we was woken with people in the next room talking till early hours and didnt shut up till 645am which was out of order. If i was to go back here again i would have to take my own linen and bed covers and a kettle. They have tea bags and milk in the room for a cup of tea BUT NO KETTLE!
Overall the hotel was nice but a big let down with no carparking, no staff to welcome you in with a nice manner and you had to pay on arrival as we were told the money had been paid on time of booking.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jennytots
Reviewed February 14, 2010

Good bits = the building is amazing, the bed was really comfortable, the water was hot and the towels were clean and fluffy. Other than that it's a grade II listed medieval inn which really needs some remedial work to comply with basic 21st century safety features. Lots of broken light fittings seen and extension leads joined together. Several PAT test stickers on kettles etc seen to be over 2 years out of date. Shower head had to be held together, and cracks in the base of the bath were mended with raised patches of sealant. Bit concerned that similar disregard may have been paid to alarm systems, and the place is such a rabbit warren that visitors could easily be disorientated in an emergency. The night we went there was live music in the bar downstairs, which apparently continued until the police arrived at 2.20am to 'remind' the bar staff that it should have stopped at 1 am. Luckily we slept through it in the very comfortable 4 poster bed. Bit strange in the morning - no sign of any staff for ages after we went in search of 'breakfast'. Then found small selection of cereal, some bread, which was 2 weeks out of date going by the label, some crumpets- just out of date, jam, butter, cartons of milk and the usual sachets of coffee/tea etc. Unfortunately the kettle was found to be broken so a member of staff had to be tracked down to replace it so we could even make ourselves a hot drink. It appears that the hotel side of the business is not serviced separately, since the couple of staff we saw seemed to have been working until the early hours in the bar, and therefore it was not surprising that, although they were pleasant enough, they were less than lively . All in all a real shame that a bit more attention isn't paid to maximise the potential of the place - and minimise the fire risks from the untested electrical appliances attached to trailing extension leads. I'd love to be able to recommend the place, even with breakfast limitations, but don't feel I can with the current safety issues.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank 51plus
Reviewed January 17, 2010

I booked a double room for some friends to come and stay in Shifnal for my partners birthday, some other friends also booked rooms, there were 3 of them (5 including the ones I booked in) they also booked 2 doubles. At 8pm the night before their stay one of the 3 recieved a call to say that her room had been double booked and that they could no longer offer her a double but they could give her a single, which she accepted. Due to this I called to check that the room I had booked, was still availiable and was told that there was not a booking in the name I had given at all!. I was then offered a twin room, which I agreed on as it was only needed for 1 night. Everyone managed to book in and quite liked the quirkyness of the place. However the following morning they contaced me to tell me that they had left their rooms for breakfast and found the place completely deserted and no breakfast and they were unable to get out of the building!! In the end they manged to leave via the fire exit, this was about an hour after that had got up, and they had still not seen a single member of staff!!!!, Being local to Naughty Nells, I am aware that there is a pub below the hotel that is open till 2am on the weekends and it would appear that the hotel staff are also the bar staff for the pub ( when calling to check the bookings, the girl I spoke to had obviously been woken by my call at 11.15am, I was told they didn't open till 12pm and to call back!) If they are unable to provide a cooked breakfast on a weekend, then surely it would be good policy to inform their guests when booking and provide an alternative or maybe better still, the owner should consider employing staff purely for the running of the hotel. It's a shame really as the rooms seemed very nice and the place has loads of charm but is severley let down by it's staff!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank ChippasBird
Reviewed August 13, 2009

Naughty Nell's it was exactly as I hoped it would be It had all the character you would expect from a building of that age. When we arrived we were met by Charlie with her pleasant beautiful little face she booked us in and helped to carry the luggage to our room. We had the king Charles four poster suite for three nights. When we came down to the bar we had drinks served by Charlie and later dinner cooked and served by Charlie, she was everywhere doing everything with a beautiful smile on her face. We had a walk around the town and a few drinks then came back to Charlies bar for the disco it got very busy but very good, I was admiring how smart the staff looked when I noticed this beautiful pair of fishnets who was in them ? Charlie again she had changed and was serving in the bar until 2am clearing up after til 4am and down cooking full English breakfast at 9am. What a lady and what a place it was the best weekend I'd had for years.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thomasdaly7
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I stayed here on the night of Aug 5th, although the building was a nice "character half timbered inn" severall aspects need immediate attention!

The first room I was offered was one of the appartments across the road. (#15)
The building had a distinctly "unfinished" air, the boiler was inoperative (no hot water) and the door lock jammed shut thus trapping me in the room!

I was then offered the "Teddy Bear" room which seemed nice though a bit small.
However it turned out to be noisy. Firstly from traffic going by (a symptom of modern life).

Secondly from the "paper thin walls" allowing all the noises from the people in the next room through, (squeeky beds snoring etc).

Thirdly the room wasn't cleaned to a very high standard, and the loo seat was broken.

Lastly when I went down to breakfast at the prescribed time. (8-9, but the room notice said 7:30 on). There were no staff anywhere to be found!

I had to help myself to cold cereal and juice (both the juice and milk were tepid).
When I left for my meeting at 8:30 am there were still no staff around so I was forced to leave the room keys on the bar and let myself out!

In short GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER, nice place shame about the service...

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shifnal
Park House Hotel
Holiday Inn Telford - Ironbridge
The Mount Hotel
The Mount Hotel
#3 of 21 in Wolverhampton

Been to Naughty Nell's? Share your experiences!